1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone else reading the Lorien Legacies series?

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Joe's Nemesis, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    As the title asks...

The writing, especially in the first part of the first book is absolutely horrible, but it gets better. There's too many places where I think the author misses a good opportunity to develop his character or drive home a point in the story, leaving the entire story a little too one-dimensional for me at times.

But I have to admit, the plot is unique enough to hold my attention and I at least want to know what happens to them. Also, except for a couple specific instances (and it was more a matter of handling the way it was done), he keeps the suspension of disbelief credible. If you can accept the premise, what happens thereon definitely falls within the realm of possible to probably.

So, I'm fifty-fifty about the books. Anyone else reading them, and if so, I'd like to know what you think about them.

(Mods - Not sure if this was the right place to post this, but I couldn't think of anywhere else that it'd fit, since it's not a discussion of fandoms/fanfiction)

2. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
  3. Joe's Nemesis

High Score:
    Damn, would have never found that under the Multimedia subforum. Guess I take the term too literally (more than text/combination of media forms).

4. mort

mort Groundskeeper

I read up till book three back in January (if my memory serves me) and on the series as a whole I'm sorta divided in my opinion.
    In some parts the books are absolutely annoying and it looks like the author's trying a bit too hard to fit in all of the 'teenage drama' crap. Seriously you find that in too many books these days as it is. In other parts of the books you find intriguing subplots, witty one liners and heart felt scenes...

So I sort of like it, but it's more of the 'guilty pleasure' like.

5. Joe's Nemesis

High Score:
    That's a good way of describing it I think. I think he handled the relationship between six, four, and Sarah Hart pretty well in the The Fall of Five and didn't extend the angst like he could have, which was a good thing (though what about the cliche of his dating the cheerleader ex girlfriend of the quarterback? That alone almost made me put the book down).

Really, it reminds me of reading some fanfics: there's quite a bit of good in it, but it's a schlep through the muck to find it at times.