1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Plot Bunny Threa(t/d) IV

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Minion, Sep 1, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Think outside the box. What is Voldemort's most used spell? Yeah, that's what I thought. Without an insta-kill spell, things may go differently.

2. LoyalFenian

LoyalFenian Fourth Year

I am thinking outside the box. If the Killing curse doesn't exist, then as a baby, Harry may not vanquish him. Hence, Voldemort could very well emerge victorious from the first war.

Then again, it may just play out the exact same because of a different spell

3. meev

meev Groundskeeper

Yeah, it's not like he's one of the most knowledable and talented wizards in history or anything. Obviously he uses the killing curse because he definitely needs it to be able to kill people, and not because of how terrifying it is.

4. redlibertyx

redlibertyx Professor

It's not like Harry had special anti-avada kedavra powers. It is certainly suggested that any spell wouldn't have worked against Lily's sacrificial protection — just see that last chapter where the spells Voldemort casts are very ineffective against the people Harry protected by sacrificing himself (his silencing charm kept breaking, for instance).

5. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

The side effects, however, might be quite different, i.e. Voldemort using a slicing spell on Harry's neck might leave a scar, but might not necessarily include a piece of Voldemort's soul.

6. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

This is what I had in mind:

The Killing Curse is said to be unblockable, that is why Harry's survival was such a big deal. Now if he simply survives something like a Reducto to the face, then suddenly it isn't so special, Reducto can be blocked after all.

And going with this train of thought, if many people were killed by Avada Kedavra in canon, they may have a higher fighting chance in this world and may end up being alive.

Of course, to truly make a difference from canon, one could have a world where none of the Unforgivables were invented. The absence of Imperius would make tremendous changes.

7. Baradine

Baradine Seventh Year

Well, without the Imperius Curse, I don't the war would have gone differently, but the aftereffect of the war might have. It's possible that a great deal of people whom Voldemort used the Imperius Curse on would also been up to a nice healthy bribe - or a threat.

However, without the excuse of the Imperius, I'd say a significantly larger amount of Death Eaters would have been locked up.

And not to forget the other Unforgivables. Without the Cruciatus Curse, Neville's parents have a good chance of still being sane.

Without the Killing Curse, if we assume the rest of the war plays out the same, I'd say there would be a very good chance of Lily living through the encounter. James would probably be killed either way, but with Snape asking for the Dark Lord's mercy, he may not kill Lily. That begs the question of whether or not Lily's protection would have worked if she didn't die.

8. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    It's probably been done already, maybe multiple times, but I haven't seen it yet (of course, that doesn't mean much), but I'm thinking of a "Ginny Must Die" fic that takes a groundhog day approach.

Harry must kill Ginny in a particular fashion, and continues to repeat the day, killing her every day until he does it the right way. Every day, he learns a little more about why she must die and how he has to do it.

Obviously, a humorous, tongue-in-cheek plot-bunny.

9. Baradine

Baradine Seventh Year

The most ironic being, of course, an overdose on Amortentia. If the author really wanted to go there.

There being the horrible fanon that claims Ginny gave Harry love potions.

10. mknote

mknote 1/3 of the Note Bros. DLP Supporter

Dude, you didn't have to explain the joke. We got it.

11. h2o

h2o Professor

So, this plot bunny has been hopping around here and there in my head and growing ever since I read the first most excellent chapter of The Prince Who Was Promised. A HP/GoT crossover. If you haven't read Books 1-3 or seen Season 1-3 of Game of Thrones, I strongly suggest you don't read this post for there will be SPOILERS!

Seriously, major spoilers. You have been warned.

The back story is that Harry stops aging when he becomes the Master of Death (I know... But hear me out!). He still lives out a version of the "19 years later", marries Ginny, has a few kids etc but as he doesn't age, he tries his hand at several different occupations. He does his years as an Auror and Head Auror before becoming bored and going along with Bill to ancient tombs riddled with curses and jinxes waiting to be broken, after Bill's death he tries a new career, then when eventually Ginny, Ron & Hermione all die he goes traveling around the world for a time before coming back to Hogwarts as the Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor, and then Headmaster as well, having his great Grandchildren at school now.

The years teaching at Hogwarts have been his favorite from his professions but...

An opportunity comes to to try his luck as an Unspeakable and the offer is too tempting to pass up. He gets to study lots of different types of Magic, ancient rituals, blood magic, wand making etc, but his final work will of course be on the Veil.

He studies it and after a few years manages to figure out how exactly to activate it to follow the last person through, but its a bit of a gamble. Just in case, he packs a large Mokeskin pouch full of various things he might need should the Veil not kill him. He brings the Hallows, his regular wand, a lavish pavilion of a magically collapsible tent that had belonged to an ancient pharaoh and unknown to him, Winky, who manages to sneak inside the Pouch before he leaves for work that day (She as his servant hasn't aged either.).

This is where our story starts.

The Veil then takes him to somewhere in the North of the Seven Kingdoms right before: (Spoilers ahead if you haven't read books 1-3 or seen season 1-3 of Game of Thrones, don't read the rest!)

Ned Stark gets executed.

So Harry starts traveling this new land, unseen under his cloak most of the time he sneaks into Inns and Taverns, listening to the small-folk and various Knights and Ser's gossiping about what's happening in King's Landing and the realm around them.

He uses his Magic sparingly, wary of being seen by what are clearly Muggles in another land, but one day on the road he gets attacked by robbers and has to kill a few and stun the others. During the battle however, he notices that his spells are getting weaker and weaker, a Stupify on the last man standing only makes him dazed for a minute or two.

He questions the ones left alive and then tries to obliviate them but has to take out the Elder Wand for it. He apparates away to a safe spot in the woods where he'd spent the night before in his tent (Winky having being discovered inside it by now) and sets it back up again. He tries lots of different spells but his regular wand barely works and its scaring the shit out of him. The Elder Wand however still works but he's now extremely wary of using it in case it too seemingly runs out of Magic.

He tries summoning Dumbledore with the Stone but it fails to work, only the lightest puff of smoke resembling Dumbledore's face appears on the first try, then nothing. So he attempts to summon one of the robbers he'd killed earlier that day (Having questioned the others earlier he knew a few names.) and it works.

His theory then is that the Magic here is different, that the Hallows which are much more powerful magical objects (And traveled in the protection of the Mokeskin Pouch) have survived much better then his regular wand.

What he needs is to make a new Wand, but Phoenixes, Unicorns and Dragons are all long gone from this world, until he hears a certain rumor about The Mother of Dragons after crossing the sea and reaching a port in the East.

His goals are now clear, he needs a Heartstring from one of Daenerys's Dragons, but he doesn't want to just steal and slaughter a Dragon for it either. Instead he intends to perform a ritual where a Heartstring is cut out but the Dragon lives, this requires him to be the Dragons Master. When he finds out more of who Daenerys is and what she wants, he wants to make a deal with her, he'll get her back on the Iron Throne for one of her Dragons.

He follows her and Khal Drogo's wake, hearing different tales and finally finding the pyre where the Dragons were born but then he looses her trail. The Dothraki army splinters off and he manages to trace two trails but finds no Queen and no Dragons. His guess is that she traveled the vast expanse of desert ahead but there was no knowing where she'd end up. He pays a few merchants and traveling salesmen to send word if she resurfaces.

He decides to travel to King's Landing to learn more about the realm and poses as a Prince from a lost city in the East and at court he sees Sansa Stark, who's red hair and beauty reminds him of Ginny when he first fell in love with her. He tries to focus on his goals but he can't help but wanting to know more about her and happens to bump into her soon enough.

He learns a bit of who she is and after finding out about Ned being executed he wants to help the girl but isn't quite sure how to do it. Meeting Sansa has rejuvenated him, he feels much more the young man that he looks. (And he's still stuck at 17/18 so she's not too far off age-wise either. He does start aging again however in this new world)

But with Robb, Renly and Stannis all claiming a throne for themselves, he also sees a chance in an alliance with Sansa. She could help him persuade his brother to kneel before Daenerys when the time comes, giving him power in the Seven Kingdoms, something he'll need to give Daenerys the Throne she wants.

Under his cloak, he follows Sansa to the Godswood one evening and hears Ser Dontos plans to whisk her away after Joffrey's wedding to Margaery Tyrell. When Sansa leaves, he stuns the drunken fool and uses legilimency to find out that the man intends to smuggle her out by a boat and have his way with her.

Furious, Harry decides that he has to stop this from happening so he obliviates Dontos of the evenings events and starts preparing his own plan to rescue Sansa.

He sets up his pavilion tent overlooking the city and casts the Fidelious charm around it. A temporary solution but it would certainly do to protect the girl while they contacted her brother to set up a meeting... if she'd go along with his plan of course, he also promises her to find Arya in this deal.

Again, BIG SPOILERS ahead if you haven't finished watching season 3 or read book 3, don't read on!

Her wedding to Tyrion gets announced and this gives Sansa a good enough reason to go with Harry and hide while they contact her brother.

Before the raven they send out manages to reach Robb, the Red Wedding happens and ruins a lot of Harry's plans. Sansa is a wreck and he has to find Shae to help, which leads him to meeting Tyrion properly for the first time as well. An interesting meeting to be sure.

And after that... well, I haven't seen past the 3rd season of GoT and I'm currently reading the 3rd book so I don't know what happens in canon but with Harry determined to get his Dragon, Daenerys has to get her throne.

So, yeah... if I had the talent, time and patience to write this myself, I would. As it is however, I'm giving this plot bunny over to someone who hopefully can write it!

Any takers? :)

12. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Interesting idea, and it keeps Harry from being overpowered. I don't like how he didn't age for hundreds of years though... There is no point other than to keep him young like the characters in the books.

I won't spoil you from what happens in the later books but I can expand on the idea.

If Robb Stark dies, with Brandon and Rickon being missing, Sansa is the heir to Winterfell. This would be extremely beneficial to Harry, as having the North, the Riverlands and Dorne all support Daenarys would be easier to gain the throne. Plus, it would be easier to get the Vale as well.

Harry just needs to bring Sansa back to Winterfell and declare her Queen. This gives Daenarys more time to raise her dragons (and do what she does in Books 4 and 5) by having Harry help Sansa rule the North. This will bring Stannis into the picture (by trying to have her bend the knee to him) and reveal the bigger threat- the white walkers.

13. Tutorial Boss

Tutorial Boss Seventh Year

So I've begin looking at a plot bunny in my head that I would consider writing.

'Claws of the Raven'

Harry has a twin, Voldemort never rose. Wizards are classed into three classes by the government - Wizards, Mages, and Sorcerers, with Wizards being the common muggleborns, where actual proof has been found of their inferiority to half-bloods and pure-bloods.

Racism is on the rise. Dumbledore had to stand down from his Headmaster position to take up the Minister of Magic to keep absolute pureblood supremacy. McGonagall is Headmistress. The French ministry is making aggressive threats at England.

The houses have changed. Gryffindor is a tightly-knit militaristic group that teaches young kids combat. Hufflepuff has begun infiltrating the political arena. Slytherin is a haven for the magically powerful, an elitist sect.

Ravenclaw is hell.

14. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Feel free to expand on that list bit, or whatever. Since it sounds like it's the key to the plot.

15. Punt

Punt DA Member

Why does Harry have a twin again?

16. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

h2o, your idea sounds interesting. I'd definitely love to read another decent HP/GoT crossover. That said, I did have a few issues with what you've written so far.

First off, Harry going over to Essos to search for Daenarys, not finding her and then just leaving might need to be rethought. He doesn't usually give up easily, and the plot line sounds kind of unfulfilling if you leave it like that. Plus, why would he be doing all this stuff to try and put her on the throne when he doesn't even have a deal with her yet? He could end up just wasting all his time if he refuses.

Actually his whole reasoning behind putting Daenarys on the throne is somewhat suspect. He hasn't even met her, so she could be a terrible person and leader for all he knows. Plus, why not kill a mindless beast rather than orchestrate an entire takeover of a country, possibly starting a massive civil war?

I don't know all that much about GoT so I can't offer much more advice than rething Harry's motivations, but you'll probably have to put more consideration into how you'll balance his magic too. Giving him a finite amount or whatever is a good start. I'm not sure if he really needs a couple of centuries of experience on top of having magic, to be honest.

From my experience it's either a hot female twin for him to have sex with or a useless waste of space male twin for the author to bash.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  17. Tutorial Boss

Tutorial Boss Seventh Year

His twin is a Sorcerer, a rare higher class of wizard. The three categories, oft put into raw magical power, holds sorcerers as elites of society. Harry is the exact opposite; a Wizard, the lowest ranking. At the same time, Ravenclaw is a shithole where they took 'knowledge is power' a bit too seriously; legimency, mind-rape, and bullshit is thick in the air.

18. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Sounds like the average ffnet fare, to be honest.

19. h2o

h2o Professor

Well, there are other ways around it... and I think I agree with you on going all the way over there and not finding her.

Instead of going East first, he goes to Kings Landing and eventually discovers the huge skulls from Dragons kept down under the Red Keep. So now he really knows Dragons did exist in this land, but he doesn't know where to start looking for any alive ones and at the same time, he's extremely afraid of loosing the Magic in his Elder Wand since his regular one has already given up on him.

As for his age, well he needs a reason to go through the veil, being 150-170 odd years old and showing no signs of dying a natural death gives him the sort of, push out the door as it were.

It also gives him enough knowledge on how to craft his own wand, something schoolboy Harry or even Head Auror Harry wouldn't know.

20. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    No.
    Not even Legilimency.
    And hell no to "mind rape."

Overused and seldom if ever done right.

Not open for further replies.