1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Plot Bunny Threa(t/d) IV

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Minion, Sep 1, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. bakkasama

bakkasama Seventh Year

Not sure if living everything twice would have as much impact as you expect. While he would have more experience, a lot of reactions are restricted by body biology and the lack of environmental situations that would let him grow up. It might be more interesting if he is more childish because of the feeling of no consequences.

2. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

You two raise interesting points, but then again, magic.

3. bbodysplash

bbodysplash Third Year

If Harry got killed on the first day, would he just wake up the second day or would he be dead?

4. Andrela

That's a very hard question to answer.

I got the initial idea from many 'set lifespan' stories. Basically, since Harry is a Horcrux, he has two lifespans at once.

So, if he dies on the first day, he wakes up on the second day, but his ability is permanently lost from that moment.

5. Lyrium

Lyrium Sent Back to India

I guess because its always been that way for him, he wouldn't find it annoying or frustrating the way someone in a time loop (repeating the same one day over an over) would eventually.

A lot of encounters would go differently, since he basically has a reset button. He could try to share his information with whoever he thinks of as allies, possibly Dumbledore. Things like Sirius Black dying would not happen unless there is some fate working so that major events can't be thwarted.

6. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

I'd write it so that everything goes swimmingly, he always corrects things - until he hits a dead end. He doesn't foresee something early enough because he's become too complacent, and by the time something tragic happens, reliving the day isn't enough. Then just escalate the story insanely from there. Some consequences play out over longer than a day.

7. Andrela

Always wanted to do it. At first seems similar to canon, but eventually more differences appear.

===

Hermione leaves class before Ron and Harry. As such, she does not hear Ron insulting her. Because he does not comment more on the issue, she attends the rest of the classes and eventually arrives at the Halloween feast.

Ron and Harry do not speak with her during the feast, not really having the strength after her behavior in class.

Quirrell arrives and tells everyone about the troll. Naturally, Dumbledore orders Prefects to take students to their dormitories. Harry, Ron and other Gryffindors go with Percy to their common room. Not having any reason to go after the troll, they don't.

Snape of course suspects Quirrell and prevents him from getting to the Stone. The next day Harry and others learn that the teachers managed to remove the troll from the school.

Harry and Ron are still not friends with Hermione.

During Harry's first Quidditch match, Hermione is absent, having no reason to see the game. Ron and the others don't see Snape muttering and no fires are set to anyone's robes. Harry falls from his broom, though Snape manages to save his life with the Feather-light charm. The Gryffindor luck is still with Harry though, as he manages to catch the Snitch while falling.

Ron sees that Snape has saved Harry and admits that the man can't be that bad.

However, it is obvious to many that something caused Harry's broom to behave in such a way. The boys speak with Hagrid, who has no idea who it might have been. The half-giant lets it slip that he is Fluffy's owner. However, no mention is made of Flamel.

During Christmas, Harry and the Weasleys remain at Hogwarts. Harry gets the Cloak. However, he doesn't have a reason to go at night as he is not searching for Flamel. As such, Harry does not find the Mirror of Erised and does not see his family. He spends time with the Weasleys and even shows the Twins the Cloak, which they declare to be of superb quality. In fact, Harry lets them use the Cloak once and in turn they show him the Marauder's Map (something for something).

After the holidays end and next term begins, Harry notices Snape sneaking towards the outskirts of the Forbidden Forest. He overhears Snape's conversation with Quirrell. Remembering that Snape is on his side, Harry realizes that Snape is suspecting Quirrell of trying to get past Fluffy.

He tells Ron and they go to Hagrid, asking about Quirrell. There they see that Hagrid is raising a dragon. Ron tells that this is highly illegal and that Hagrid might get in trouble.

When Norbert hatches, the boys decide that it would be wise to send him away. Harry employs the services of the twins, knowing about the Map. He gives them the cloak to use and they manage to smuggle Norbert from the school and give him to Charlie. Nobody is caught.

As nobody was caught, nobody gets a detention in the Forbidden Forest. Harry does not encounter Voldemort there and does not meet the centaurs.

A few weeks later, Harry learns from Hagrid that the dragon egg was given to him by a hooded stranger who had asked how to get past Fluffy. Realizing that it may have been Quirrell, Harry decides to swallow his pride and informs Professor Snape. Severus is surprised by this, but orders Harry to go to his common room while he deals with this.

Snape takes McGonagall and Flitwick and goes to confront Quirrell. He is stopped just in time before he can enter the Mirror room. A short fight ensues and Quirrell flees the school. Nobody finds out that it was Voldemort all along. However, when Harry speaks with Dumbledore and tells him that his Scar hurt once when Quirrell was nearby, the Headmaster figures it out.

Harry agrees to keep secret about it, only telling Ron. The redhead is naturally shocked that it was Voldemort and promises not to tell anyone.

The year ends and Slytherin wins the House Cup. Harry and Ron are still not friends with Hermione.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  8. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Hmm, but would Hermione still be susceptible to sobbing in a bathroom due to being insulted at some later opportunity, perhaps in one of the years to come? I ask this because she never did seem to be a well-balanced girl in the official books. Could she have endured going through Hogwarts without a single friend?

I doubt the insults would have stopped just before the troll incident.

9. Andrela

Oh I have no doubts about that. Hermione might even become bullied like Snape was, though that is unlikely.

I suppose Neville might be an alternative companion? Or perhaps he'd be too shy? The girls are out of the question, as they don't seem to like Hermione at all. Perhaps people outside Gryffindor?

10. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

If Hermione had no other choice, I feel like she might be friends with Luna, even if she had to put up with theories she found illogical.

This leaves her alone during first year, but that would only add to the atmosphere of loneliness, or you could bump Luna forward a year.

11. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Perhaps she could befriend a Hufflepuff? Like come across them in the library during one of their group studies. Or hell, she might even join one of the clubs, like the Charms club or something like that.

It all really depends on whether you'd want her to eventually become friends with Harry and Ron.

On one hand, if you want their friendship to be more intense, she could still be friendless when she gets properly acquainted with Ron and Harry. But honestly there's the whole friendless aspect... I'm not sure if Harry would leave her like that, provided he'd still like to make some more friends at Hogwarts besides Ron. Not to mention the bullying/insults sent her way... would Harry participate in the latter? Would he consider it as acceptable behavior? To ostracize someone because of what others speak about them? Because it might just remind him of his own childhood back in Little Whinging.

All in all, poor Hermione.

12. Daedros

Daedros Seventh Year

I think it really depends. It can be very easy to justify disliking someone when they act like Hermione did. I doubt Harry would end up being outright cruel to her, simply because he's been the target of that before, but I personally think it's likely that he could strongly dislike her if they never ended up friends initially.

It sort of confuses me when people talk about 'I don't know if Harry would leave her like that' because honestly, if he never was pushed into befriending her by the troll, I don't see any natural way for a friendship between them to develop. Harry didn't care about making friends at Hogwarts; that's why everyone else in Gryffindor is pretty much a blank slate despite being just barely off-camera for seven years. Or perhaps to be more precise: Harry was shy and had trouble finding people that valued him for more than just being the BWL at Hogwarts. He got lucky in finding Ron initially, but he never actively sought out any type of friendship at Hogwarts, and he only helped lonely people when they sort of fell into his path(like Luna). He's not going to go out of his way to try and make friends with the girl who acts like a know-it-all in class, introduced herself to him while telling him about how she knew all about him from books, and so on.

I think in this sort of situation some sort of catalyst is needed to make Harry and Hermione become friends, similar to the troll situation. I don't know exactly what it would be, but I'm having a hard time seeing it come about 'naturally', so to speak -- without some sort of life-or-death situation involved.

13. Dr_Orpheus

Dr_Orpheus First Year

Perhaps Hermione complains to McGonagall that she doesn't have any friends and asks if she could be resorted. The Hat wanted to put her into Ravenclaw, but she argued it into Gryffindor. She goes into Ravenclaw where she fits in better.

14. Daedros

Daedros Seventh Year

Resorting is fanon and seems unlikely to exist in HP to my mind. Hogwarts doesn't coddle students to that extent.

You could, however, simply have Hermione sorted into Ravenclaw initially, which might neatly sidestep the entire issue.

15. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Didn't Hermione argue with the Hat to be sorted into Gryffindor? She wanted to go there because she read those books about Dumbledore.

16. Andrela

I think that's fanon as well.

17. Dr_Orpheus

Dr_Orpheus First Year

Or she simply decides that she doesn't belong in the Wizard World by the middle of second year. She might not be popular at an upscale muggle school, but at least the odds of getting killed are very low.

18. Daedros

Daedros Seventh Year

If you knew that a whole different world existed and had Hermione's hunger for knowledge and fascination with learning, could you ever see yourself voluntarily snapping your wand and walking away? I mean, maybe Hermione is sad about not having friends, but if she has to choose between not having friends and living in the muggle world, or not having friends and living in a world where there's fucking magic I'd be baffled if she went with the first choice.

I also chuckle a bit whenever I see people have Hermione's parents remove her from Hogwarts when she doesn't want to. A promising student, with the potential to be one of the greatest witches of her generation, who doesn't want to be removed from Hogwarts? Yeah, I have a feeling some wizards would be by to explain exactly why that won't be happening. The wizarding world doesn't really view muggle rights on the same level as wizarding rights, even those who like muggles.

19. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Did Hermione have a hunger for knowledge? I always saw it a bit as more of a way for her to ingratiate herself with the authority figures in her life, to show off the knowledge she accumulated in order to impress them, to garner some form of acceptance, if not from her peers, from the adults around her.

Of course, it's been at least six years now since I read the books, so there's more than a slight chance that I'm mixing up stuff I read in fanfics and the stuff I read in official books.

20. Dr_Orpheus

Dr_Orpheus First Year

Except that by the middle of her second year, she will have realized that the Wizard World contains a lot of bigotry and many people who want to kill her for "pretending to be one of them." One of those people has released a monster which has petrified other students. The muggle world might be less fascinating but would be looking a lot safer at that point. Lacking friends could be the crucial factor in deciding to leave.

Not open for further replies.