1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Wildstar

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Gengar, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Agnostics Puppet

Agnostics Puppet Professor

It plays like Guild Wars 2. And honestly, I prefer TESO.

2. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Any particular reason?

3. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

He wants his game to look more like mud.

4. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Wildstar is awesome fun. I really enjoy the atmosphere the only thing that I dislike is the quest text, so annoying.

5. Gengar

High Score:
    Yeah, they went by the logic that no one reads it due to 'tl;dr', so they try to keep everything the size of a tweet - for the text, anyway.

Awesome to hear you liked it. What class did you play? Path?

6. TMNTurtwig

TMNTurtwig Professor

I haven't been able to create my character. Every time I try on my laptop it gives me a "0x0000002c" error. Not sure how to fix this and my laptop is the only computer I own that is capable of running this game with anything approaching playability.

Please halp. :(

7. Gengar

High Score:
    Game is now live. I'm on Oceanic pve server. Name is Joe

8. ElDee

ElDee Unspeakable

Slightly pedantic correction: the preorder headstart is live ;)

After writing WildStar off in beta as just another mediocre MMO and deciding not to bother this time, I was actually convinced to play it by some friends. And by convinced I mean that they bought me a key and guilt tripped me into using it. So far it's been a lot of fun running around as a four man Chua deathsquad, but that's not saying a lot since most MMOs are fun with friends. The real question is how well it'll hold our interest. I give it two, maybe three weeks.

The other question is what the gold value for C.R.E.D.D. will be. I'm assuming it'll be way more than I can force myself to grind out, especially if there's any kind of money making exploits discovered.

9. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've heard that this game isn't terribly well-optimized and can cause problems on some PCs, any truth to that?

Honestly it probably wouldn't be a problem for what I've got, but I wanted to look into it before I made any commitments. =/

10. Gengar

High Score:
    Can't say, it's running fine for me mostly.

I've had two random ass hard crashes caused by the SSHD the game is installed on to 'disconnect' completely out of the blue while i'm playing.

I'd normally say this has nothing to do with the game, but it's only ever happened while playing WS (twice in beta and twice live).

A quick reboot fixes it, but yeah, random as fuck.

11. ElDee

ElDee Unspeakable

In beta it wasn't optimized at all, and I think that's what most of those claims are based on. I was getting a max of 5 fps at 640x480 with everything on ultra low - when staring at a wall - so I know where they're coming from. But, y'know, beta is beta for a reason. The game is much better now.

I've got fairly old parts (Phenom II X2 550, 4GB RAM, Radeon HD 5770), and I'm getting a reasonable 20-25 FPS at 1920x1080 with low-medium detail. It drops a bit in places with excessive lighting or spell effects and it sometimes locks up for a second or two when I first enter a busy town and it needs to load in PC models and textures, but it's not too bad. I'll probably just drop the render resolution down a notch (side note: this is the greatest option ever) when I start doing dungeons and raids.

It's not perfect of course. There's a bug with some AMD processors having really low performance, something to do with Windows throttling the CPU because it thinks it isn't under heavy load anymore. Everyone's favourite MMO launch issue - random memory leaks - have put in their standard appearance, so some people need to exit and restart the game every few hours.

Also for some unfathomable reason my CPU completely freaks out whenever I'm in the front end menus, maxing out with 100% load on both cores. That's a real killer when combined with a three hour login queue. By the time I actually got into a server last night I couldn't even hear the game over the noise of every single fan in my case working overtime to stop everything from liquefying.

EDIT: "Optimization patch coming out tonight. Includes fixes for Win7 and a 5-10% FPS increase expected."

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  12. Gengar

High Score:
    Oceanic servers ftw, no queues at all.

I think they're loading servers to capacity then adding new ones as needed, daily.

13. Lord Raine

Lord Raine Disappeared DLP Supporter

Having watched this since it's inception, having followed it the whole way, and having played it with a beta key, my six cents would be get out while you still can.

That is all.

14. Dr. Strange Lulz

Dr. Strange Lulz Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Watching this game is like having crayons melted into my eyes.

I loathe the graphics.

15. Gengar

High Score:
    We need more gritty photorealism in our games imo.

16. SmileOfTheKill

Now with being able to move servers and some other fix, it is finally possible for me to play the game again.

Terrible launch and I am disappointed, but idiots tell me I should expect that.

17. Gengar

High Score:
    Idiots? So you won't even entertain the notion that some people know more about network infrastructure than you?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  18. SmileOfTheKill

No, it is idiotic that MMO's have been having horrible launches for years and it is just something one should expect. I get that it is hard, especially at the start, but they had to do a bunch of work to make it work.

They added about four severs and took a week or so to get Realm Transfer working. If they had that at the launch, I would have been able to play.

Don't assume I don't respect the people that work on this game or I am pretending I know everything. My issue is people that sound like you that don't expect better.

19. Gengar

High Score:
    Again, you don't understand how MMOs are created or designed. It sucks, but to do it any other way is incredibly wasteful.

The people who make these games are infinitely smarter than you and me. You're not the only person who's noticed that MMO launches suck. It's a necessary evil.

Devs account for what the server populations will be in two months time, not at launch, because the reality of the situation is that server pop is never as high as it is in the beginning.

What they do now is run damage control. They're spinning ten plates on seven sticks. Sure, having ten or twelve sticks would make things simple...

But those sticks cost tens of thousands of dollars.

Having said that, that doesn't excuse non server related bugs. But the KS debate and the like is a different issue.

20. SmileOfTheKill

This! This is what I mean, and I hate it. You say I don't understand MMO's, and not only is that wrong, it is a rude thing to say. I understand the issues, but I don't care. If Realm Transfer was in the start 90% of my issues would have been solved. It was not, and there is no reason for it not to be in the game in the start unless they honestly didn't expect their servers to be hammered.