1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Almost Recommended VI

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Minion, Feb 9, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. KGB

KGB Headmaster

In my eyes what makes that scene bad is the lack of any kind of response from Hermione. At this point she has been trying to get S.P.E.W. running for over a year. Surely if what Harry saying is true someone had brought up the same argument and she would either have had the 'oh' moment already, or developed a counter argument. This is just an instance of 'making your protagonist smart by turning all around him dumber'.

Other than that and the 'mudblood' situation that has already been mentioned that fic is rather good. Perhaps this could even be library worthy when the story actually starts unfolding.

One thing that should be mentioned though is that the only person listed in the authors favorites is a prolific hp/lv writer. So perhaps that is something that people should keep up an eye on, even is the author made a a/n saying that this won't be hp/lv. It's not only the pairing itself that makes those type of fics shit.

2. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

I have my problems with the Emerald series, but I did like how they handled the whole 'mudblood' issue; the fact that everyone in Slytherin knows that Harry Potter's mother is muggleborn means they don't say it in front of him, unless it's someone who's egging Harry on. The fact that most of Slytherin likes Harry and because fame trumps blood purity, means that it only becomes an issue after Voldemort's rise.

3. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Emerald series?

4. Qwop

Qwop Squib

5. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

It's decent. Would probably fit into this thread. Upside is regular updates, since he pre-writes the story.

Based on the reviews I left, year 1-4 are pretty light-hearted adventury-stuff. Year five I haven't read yet, but it takes the darker-atmosphere Canon turn, since with Voldemort's return, Harry is now surrounded by enemies (i.e. he used to be friends with Draco, and had Pansy as a g/f). I expect Angst and Drama, but hopefully not too bad.

By and large, he managed not to force Harry into the Canon situations in completely retarded ways, although there's the odd annoying bit; and I'd have liked if Fudge wasn't given the Canon treatment at the end of year four with the denial of Voldemort's existence. What I did like was how the Pettigrew arch was resolved.

It's been a while since I read it, so others might have more precise impressions.

6. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

Yeah, I had forgotten the names of the first four books, and just sort of assumed they followed an Emerald theme due to the fifth books name (Emerald Trance) and Harry being in Slytherin.

Year Five hasn't been bad, but it sort of dragged on in the beginning; they just got to Hogwarts, and there was two or three chapters dedicated to the train-ride (pauses for dramatic action/cliffhangers, I suppose). The trial was more interesting when it was a preview at the end of Year Four than it really was here; it got dull after awhile.

7. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Not a bad story, but I massively dislike the direction in which the author takes it currently. He's driving a wedge between Harry and the other Slytherins, while pushing him closer to Neville & co (especially Hermione) -- which follows from the events as he presented them naturally enough, only, I don't want to read that.

Like, at all.

I want him to be with the other Slytherins doing their thing. I want him to stay away from Neville & co as far as he can. I don't even want them in the story beyond references. And with the ending of the latest chapter, that is the exact opposite of what is happening. Further, I think he even scraped on OOC-ness there
    Harry asking to join the DA when he clearly and thankfully dislikes the Gryffindors does not follow so naturally any longer.
    And especially with his standing in Slytherin under scrutiny as it currently is, that is hugely retarded idea to even consider.

So in short, the story had promise, but for me, it's taken a massive downturn.

Edit: And if it heads towards some kind of redemption-plot, I will rate it -10000/5 and hate it with the fiery passion of a thousand burning suns.

8. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Oh that. I wasn't aware it had any sort of series name to it, I know that only the last one is called "Emerald Trance". I hate his bi-weekly updates and penchant for cliffhangers. Also, I keep hoping I'd read about a dismembered Malfoy and a flayed Pansy, but he keeps bringing on the disappointment. At the very least, Harry could cripple Crabbe or Goyle. Or both. But who knows? He might do something neat in the fifth year.

9. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Pretty much the only reason I'm putting this here instead of in "For Review" is because of its short length. This is shaping up to be pretty fantastic already.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  10. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Link

11. T3t

High Score:
    Oops, thanks. Usually don't forget that.

12. Radmar

Radmar Disappeared

Fantastic story so far. Thank you for pointing it out for me. It's too soon to rate it, but it has a lot of potential.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  13. bbodysplash

bbodysplash Third Year

That summary leaves a lot to be desired.

14. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Interesting read, thanks for pointing it out. Your right to post it here, it is still very short and the story can go one of a thousand directions. It could either turn into something very good, or turn into a real shit fest real fast given the short length we have to judge.

So far the ideas behind it and presentation are good, but the writing doesn't do anything special for me. The writing isn't bad, it's just that it isn't good either, the writing feels average. The ideas involved in the story are holding it up at the moment for me.

TL;DR Too short to decide, could either be potentially great or turn out to be very mediocre. Need more words to decide.

15. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Lucius and Harry as the two tagged characters? No thanks.

16. T3t

High Score:
    Right, because I would definitely suggest a weird slash pairing, get eight thumbs up for the rec, and have several people comment on how good the story is.

Actually, you know what, don't even bother reading the story. You don't deserve entertainment like this if you make judgments like that.

17. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

Now the one making an arbitrary judgment is you. He never said anything abut slash, he cud be talkingf about 'adopted Harry' which would make more sense, since Rep (and us) can read the No Pairing. He could be talking about 'Death Eater' Harry or 'Harry that substitutes Voldemort', which are less common. No need to get prissy.

Although, just not reading just because of the tags is arbitrary but understandable, kinda, but the need to post about it, less so. Can you give me more details about the story? I found the summary lacking.

18. Russano

Russano Disappeared

I'm also leery of the story due to the tags. More so for the future than for what the story is presently. How many good stories are there that are labeled with Lucius?

Exactly.

19. Baradine

Baradine Seventh Year

It's not bad so far, and Lucius has only showed up once, and for a brief period. Harry talked with Draco, the most, actually. Harry told Draco who he was, but Draco didn't believe him
    because Harry lives in Germany currently. My only problem with this story is that Harry is apparently about to get a Horcrux, at the age of around 10 or so. I talked to the author about it, and he gave some decent reasons, so we'll see how this plays out.

20. VanRopen

VanRopen Headmaster

Mind sharing what was said? That's a concern of mine too, but the scene from chapter six was well done, so I'm on the fence.

Not open for further replies.