1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pet Peeves v.8

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Syaoran, Oct 20, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

I feel you on this one, because if it's one thing that ruins good fics faster than anything else, it's villains picking up the Idiot Ball.

However, Devil's advocate...

Umbridge, in canon, is shown to be petty, imprudent, and more than a little out of touch with reality.

She's not stupid, as in, dim - I mean, her plan to set Dementors on Harry was moderately bright. If it works, he dies, if it doesn't work, he gets hauled in for using magic. Decent plan. She conducts the Ministry's influence campaign decently - she makes Hagrid look stupid, she sets up the Inquisitorial Squad (a clever move getting students on her side), and she sets up restrictive rules and then uses the fallout to impose even more restrictive rules.

But she also conducts herself with an appearance and attitude that make it clear that she has a distorted view of reality. She also dumps a bucket of Veritaserum in Harry's tea really obviously and acts like she just pulled off a brilliantly subtle move. Then she (almost) uses an Unforgivable in front of like, 10 kids. Also, the way she handles Fred and George (the fireworks are what's standing out in my mind, but there are other examples) is so heavy-handed it borders on cartoonish, and is a pretty stupid way to handle student rebellion if she knew anything about teenagers.

So, I see your point, but it's not like fanfic authors that portray her as a Darkwing Duck-level villain are pulling it out of nowhere.

2. Steelbadger

Steelbadger Death Eater

This is the nature of fanfiction. Characters are reduced to one or two primary personality traits which are then demonstrated by reciting canon almost word for word in every conversation. For example:

Really, in much of fanfiction these snippets are basically reused every time the character is needed in a scene. Oh, Snape is in Dumbledore's office for the talk between Harry and Dumbledore concerning his soul bond/insert plot device here. Just have Snape cut across Harry periodically with some variant on this line and hey! Instant Drama!

3. ihateseatbelts

ihateseatbelts Seventh Year

Just this by itself is annoying, if only because half the time it pops up, it features Dumbledore as some weird Dr. Phil-like teacher-student mediator. It undermines Snape's rightful authority as a member of staff, for one.

I don't know about you guys, but the Head wouldn't dream of doing that at my school. Nor did any staff members openly criticise other teachers (or even allow students the opportunity to do so) until at least Sixth Form, which wasn't long ago at all.

Not to mention these books are set in the nineties... except for the fics which are set in the 2000s so Harry can fiddle with his iPod to make it work at Hogwarts.

4. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

I keep encountering this shit. C&G cracking their knuckles, I mean. It's... tedious. I have no idea why anyone would be intimidated by them. I mean, you have magic, hex their arms off or make them eat their own eyeballs.

5. ihateseatbelts

ihateseatbelts Seventh Year

Maybe it's just a bad habit? When you do a lot with your hands, joints will tend to trap a lot of synovial fluid. Crabbe and Goyle might make their pocket money on the Gobstones table, for all we know.

I get your point, though.

6. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think C&G did it maybe once in canon.

7. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Yes, but we're talking about fanfics here.

8. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

For a change, here's a pet peeve I've got for people who comment on / review fanfiction.

Leaving, as a positive comment, some variation of the phrase, "the spelling and grammar were excellent."

I mean... come on. I get that fanfiction has low standards, but praising a written work by saying it was mostly free of spelling/grammar mistakes is like praising a movie by saying "the actors were clearly visible" or "the sound was perfectly synched up with the picture."

By all means, if a story has TERRIBLE spelling or grammar, call it out as a negative. But you really shouldn't have to mention that a story does the most basic things correctly - that should just be the tacit assumption.

9. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

On a similar note. I hate reviews when someone copies text from the fic just to add; "Hey this was great." or some other inane BS.

10. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Supreme Mugwump

Actually, I'm not opposed to that. It shows which parts worked and if they had the intended impact. If I spent hours writing a kick-ass fight scene, I'm happy to learn that it did exactly what I wanted it to do.

Feedback like that can be inane, of course, but more often than not I find it to be a helpful indicator.

11. golan

golan Temporarily Banhammered DLP Supporter

Lots of the stuff on FFN is riddled with grammar and spelling mistakes, no matter, whether they're a native speaker or not, so it's a noteworthy exception, when it isn't.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  12. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

You misunderstood me. What I dislike is when people copy the text but don't have anything constructive to say.

13. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

I think guest reviews are a really terrible thing. Let's say you get a good one, and it's obvious that talking with that person might help you in some way, or you just plain want to talk with someone who's seen your fic in some particular light, but it being a guest review, you can't respond back to them.

14. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

One would think that if your going to review you'd at least want a profile so you can follow the fanfics.

15. Ferdiad

Ferdiad Unspeakable

I've been logged out before and cba to log back in to review a chapter I've read. Usually don't though.

16. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Feeling the need to introduce married characters for no reason with their maiden name.

"Harry Potter and his wife, Hermione Potter nee Granger."

Don't know what it is but I cringe and it frustrates me to no end seeing it written like that. Maybe because there is no need to introduce her like that? I could understand it if it was really relevant to the plot to include the "nee [name]" but it nearly never is.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  17. Arrowjoe

Arrowjoe Auror

Other then heavily political fics, or stories set in the fucking middle ages, is there any reason to mention the charaters maiden name? Seems like it's just a lazy way for next-gen fics to show who got married off to who.

18. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

^ No. People evidently just want to use "nee."

19. Nerox

Nerox High Inquisitor

Damn those French...

20. Arrowjoe

Arrowjoe Auror

Are these people Knights or a certain order?

Not open for further replies.