1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Witcher video games

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Jibril, Oct 26, 2007.

?

What do you think about The Witcher video game?

1. I am no man. I am Witcher - (you are a Pole or you are Andrzej Sapkowski fanatic)

89 vote(s)
    36.8%
  2. This game is good.

110 vote(s)
    45.5%
  3. Just another RPG.

18 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Meh.

25 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

Alp vampires also have those powers - invisibility, invulnerability to silver and other powers.

But still, it can't be a high vampire for a very simple reason. The sun. High vampires aren't burned by the sun, it only causes them discomfort. And for a high vampire to die from severd limb, poison and some arrows - we got a quote from the books that Regis pulled through quite a severe and thorough beeting. So its either some other kind of vampire, or CDRed used licentia poetica to change stuff.

2. gbbz

gbbz Professor

I don't know how the sun comes into this, since the battle is at night.

Alps are vulnerable to silver, even the Witcher game says so. They also cannot turn invisible and are not invulnerable to fire (first game as well).
    I think it's a vampire like Regis and that Lady of the Night in the first game, that's the only thing that really makes sense.

As for being unkillable, well, Regis was killed quite easily by Vilgerfortz and Geralt killed him in turn. We don't know what he drank, but he slashed her quite heavily, not only chopped her arm off.

But still, it's still a great trailer. It has that Witcher feel and ties well with the trailer for the first game.

3. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Wow, if there's one constant in games like this, it's that I don't save enough.

4. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well, Regis did get his head cut off and heart pierced by a stake. It did take him fifty years to regenerate, but high vampires definitely aren't easy to kill. Yes, Vilgefortz killed him, but he was a powerful and talented mage, and we all know how powerful mages are in The Witcher. Also, Vilgefortz easily fought against Geralt and Yennefer at the same time, and managed to kill Regis when it was all three against him. Geralt in the end was able to kill him because of plot armor.

5. gbbz

gbbz Professor

Although I agree with everything you've said, there is one thing: Sapkowski created his world to be malleable, that's why wizard power varies story to story, even novel to novel in the series. And Geralt did kill Vilgefortz with a single slash and using his new medallion and his random super rune sword.

Which was of course plot armout, just as you said.

Actually, that's what I like about this universe. There are no power levels and the greatest of mages can be murdered by a bum with a club when he's not looking.

6. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

If I remember corecty in one of the short stories (Lesser Evil?) it was sugested that mages carry their staffs around mostly to guard themselves against dogs sent by angry people to chase them away :p

Also, Regis was high on blood at the time and he got torn apart and then melted with magical fire.

The only thing that can be said for certain in regards to the magical system of the Witcher world is the fact that Ciri has awesome powers and they dwarf any other mages.

7. gbbz

gbbz Professor

I think it was in the original story "The Witcher", the one with the striga. Velerad said that.

Yeah, Regis was drunk. As he was during his first big "death". Alcohol (blood) is bad for you, kids. Remember that. :D

Ciri's only power is to traverse worlds. She literally has very little else going for herself. She's a very good swordsman, but not on par with a witcher, since she's not mutated, she's a crappy mage, since she never finished her schooling, never even began it to be honest. All she can do is blink from universe to universe and in universes as it appears in Witcher 3.

She still cut up Bonhart into little pieces, that was something, and God knows what she's learned while traversing the multiverse.

8. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

In raw power department she outclasses everyone else. Also, this is spoilerish, really.

9. Gizmore

Gizmore Minister of Swedish Affairs DLP Supporter

There is a bit of an outcry about consoles dragging everything down again.
    People are talking about how they downgraded the graphics, the usual things, draw distance, textures, object LOD and so on to get it to run better on the consoles.
    There has been a lot of "evidence" Link and Link.

Docm77 did and interview the developer about it.

CD Project have been holding off with the ultra pc settings, but recently allowed people to show it, here is another video from Docm77 showing it on youtube (remember youtube is compressing the video so there might be some quality loss there).

There is lots of discussion about it on various gaming sites and reddit atm. People claiming false advertising and stuff.

What do you guys think about the whole thing?

10. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

Shit is old. Happens with every high-end game. Everytime people cry out that the game is downgraded because it isn't the render that they were shown at a marketing stunt.

As for me, I simply don't care. Mostly because my computer is a five years old machine that can't run the Witcher 3 at all, so I'll have to wait and save some money to buy a rig capable of running this game at its fullest.

11. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Chief Warlock

I always expect somewhat of a graphics down grade for the consoles. As long as it isn't a massive difference, it doesn't bother me. People will always find something to bitch about. Even downgraded graphics are good to look spectacular compared to a lot of other games.

12. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's annoying because graphics were definitely one of the major selling points in preview builds. They were also talking it up a lot and showing it off for years.

Do I think the game on consoles affects the quality of the PC version? No. The fact that this theory is even being floated around just shows how useless having good will is.

Do I think they had an original build/ vision they just couldn't realistically bring to market fully optimized? Probably.

I'm still not sure if I want to play it and I don't even know why...

13. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Chief Warlock

It always bugs me when graphics shown in 'gameplay demos' aren't achievable in the actual game.

That's not to say I care about graphics, I really don't... but the dishonesty pisses me off. Especially if it's a game I want to buy, because there's only one way to show dissatisfaction with a dev and that's to not buy the game, and I don't want to not buy the game.

I understand why so many devs do it though, it sells, and that pisses me off too.

14. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I can't find a source, but I remember CDPR sniping at BW about shoddy textures or something when they announced 1080p60fps for DAI (BW's claim may have been made after W3 was said to be 30fps).

I do care about graphics and art style. A lot. I respect when devs try to push the boundaries as much as they can (especially if it enhances storytelling with mocap and facial animations). Just don't treat me like an idiot.

If that's what's happening at all...

15. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

I am unsure if I would call this dishonesty. The gameplay trailers were made out of beta/alpha material and anybody should know that there can be changes between that and the end product, especially since it was no secret that they had problems with optimization and stable builds.

I personally can´t wait to play this since the world-building, quests and characters (interaction) all look to be just what I hoped they would be. A big world that feels natural/believable with a city deserving that name (instead of the few houses Sykrim had..), quest that have multiple endings and consequences with many of them having no optimal choice(adding to replay and role-play value) and characters that are interesting and feel mature instead of caricatures. Those are the things I wanted from a Witcher game and I couldn´t care less about some small graphic changes.

16. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Was the second image in this article that I've seen pop up a few times fake, then? Cause that would explain it to me.

But it absolutely does. If they made the game for pc only, it would have better graphics. But since they're developing it for the consoles as well, they have to meet the lowest denominator.

As for me, I'm used to being shown overhyped graphics in early trailers that never match the finished product. It's become an all too common thing. A little disappointed, but the graphics are still good, so meh.

17. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

tl;dr They didn't want to do twice the work. One version for PC and one for consoles, so they built for consoles with a few extra bells and whistles.

I'm sorry, but anyone who is going to argue otherwise is a fucking retard.

Edit: But tbh, they spent a few months bug fixing and shit, would have been nice if the art team took the time to do some shiny stuff for the PC version like particle effect smoke dispersion etc.

Last edited: May 15, 2015
  18. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Compare:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

Well, we'll have to wait for Enhanced Edition.

20. Captain Trips

Captain Trips High Inquisitor

Meh, it is just graphics, nothing I particularly cared about while pre-ordering the game...