1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Skyforge

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Sephiroso, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Sephiroso

Sephiroso Disappeared

So, this game just went Open Beta on the 16th. Was wondering if anyone here was playing it or thinking about playing it? I'm downloading it as I type this post and will be playing on the NA server if so.

Wouldn't mind grouping up and playing if anyone is interested in doing so. Also trying to get a feel for if the good is pretty decent or not before i play to know what to expect.

I suppose to give a bit of info for those who never heard of the game. It's an action combat mmorpg that has rather beautifully done graphics. It's a sci-fi fantasy genre that mixes the two rather well from what I could see from videos and what not. The player characters are basically immortals that are trying to protect the world from alien invaders or something.

The game has a rather large cast of classes available to choose from, but you can only start as a few of them, and from there you have to progress in their Atlas tree system to unlock other classes. So you don't have to play alts in this game like you do in say WoW, you can be all classes in one character(though it takes a crazy amount of time to unlock every single class from what i understand).

The game also had packs you can buy that unlocks a couple classes early, as well as provided early access(which has already passed, was the 9th i think for that). That's about all i know about the game as i've yet to actually play yet so will probably add in a first impressions later today as well.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  2. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    From what I understand, it has a cap system, only allowing you to get a certain amount of "experience" to unlock skills, talents and new classes per week from the FFX/PoE sphere grid system. From some videos I watched, I heard that it would take weeks or even months to unlock the other classes, and if you play a lot, it only takes like two or three days to reach the cap, after which all you have is material grinding or stuff and waiting for the next week.

I'm sure that it has different technical terms in the game, but essentially, in old rpg terms, you have a weekly cap on your experience gain. It does increase every week you play, but from all the complaining, it takes too long and isn't enough.

The fact that your progression to improve your character and unlock all the cool stuff is limited by a weekly cap kinda killed my interest in this game. It seems a lot like the stamina system in Vindictus, and I disliked that.

It does look nice and interesting, though. Shame.

3. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Supreme Mugwump

I played it for two hours yesterday, and while it's great to look at, I still need something to really hook me. Unlocking more classes through the skill tree seems an interesting idea on paper, but to be perfectly honest, it was quite weird while creating the character.

One plus is that so far most of the characters of the main quest have been vocalized. Last time I saw that was in ToR.

Combat is great so far. A lot of klicking at first, but it becomes more versatile as you add spells. The graphics certainly help.

Anyway, I'll probably continue for a while yet.

4. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

That experience cap thing sounds similar to something FF14 did, if I remember right. I didn't play it, but I remember reading about something similar.

5. Crimson13

Crimson13 Professor

Has anyone else had problems with 'incorrect words' when naming a character? I'm not using swear words and other shit like that (To the best of my knowledge anyway.) so I'm wondering what's up.

6. Reign

Reign Fourth Year

Played for a few hours and I like it but its a bit boring without others to play with.

7. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

This seems kind of like a more quest-driven version of Firefall, in a way. It's not boring per se, but just... really linear so far. I don't think I'll mind the gating system much, as I probably won't get enough time to play it to actually hit the maximums.

I agree with the graphics though. Holy crap, it's a gorgeous world, and I'm only playing on medium settings.

8. Dr. Strange Lulz

Dr. Strange Lulz Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Didn't notice this til now.

Been playing Skyforge for quite a while now. Participated in all of the NA closed betas played the Russian open beta for a bit.

I'm actually an officer in the largest NA guild right now.

The PvE content is great when you've got people to play with, so guilding up is kind of encouraged. There are also a few things that you can't do unless you're in a guild, like the second raid, and everything associated with pantheon wars.

PvP is deep and very well balanced, even more so when we patch to a version closer to the Russian build.

Overall, I'm having a blast with it.

Just message me if you ever want to group up.

9. Absolutista

Absolutista Fifth Year

I've been playing this game all morning.

It seems great, although currently I'm at a loss on how to proceed regarding progression. I mean I'm not sure if I should just 'find path' for a desired class on upper atlas or stick with the starter I picked class I picked.
    Paladins, while fun, don't seem to be a good class.

10. Sephiroso

Sephiroso Disappeared

I know it's been some days but after you pass a certain point in the starter class tree, you can only spend class sparks in that tree as you've probably noticed by now.

So the colored sparks will be mainly used in the greater atlas, while class sparks unique to that class will be used in the smaller class specific atlas.