1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The X-Files likely returning with a new season

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Cyclops, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

News broke this weekend that FOX is in discussions to revive The X-Files and now David Duchovny has stated he’s ready to reprise the role of Agent Fox Mulder. On Tuesday, Duchovny told USA Today that he’s “more than happy and excited to bring it back and do it again with (co-star) Gillian (Anderson) and (series creator) Chris (Carter).”

Fox TV Group chairman Gary Newman announced at the channel’s TCA presentation on Saturday that they’re in talks to revive Carter’s classic TV series. Newman had said that they would like to bring back Duchovny and Anderson.

The 54-year-old Duchovny added: “I’m assuming that it will happen sooner rather than later now. We’ll see what form, how many (episodes). Certainly I can’t nor would I be interested in doing a full season. It will be in some kind of limited form. We’re all old, we don’t have the energy for a full season.”

Duchovny is also part of the upcoming NBC series “Aquarius,” a show which FOX would presumably have to schedule around.

Running from 1993 to 2002, “The X-Files” ran for 202 episodes with a feature film set between seasons 5 and 6 and a second movie hitting theaters in 2008. “The X-Files” garnered 21 Emmy nominations while on the air, featured a spin-off series “The Lone Gunmen,” and debuted countless comics, video games, and other merchandise.

http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/401559-david-duchovny-on-board-with-the-x-files-revival

2. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    So, the X-Files returns next week! Who's pumped? Yeah you pumped.

Link to the full trailer.

Doesn't look like they're pulling any punches, which is fantastic given that this is a six-part mini series.

3. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

I'm surprised people still give a shit.

4. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I'll probably watch the opening for the soundtrack then get bored.

Betting this miniseries is just a tester to see how much interest the public still has, then they might bring out a full length series.

5. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I think it's a pretty safe bet that if the mini-series does well, they'll try to bring the full series back in some form. The real question is if Duchovney, Anderson, and Carter would all be up for making a full-production series again. Like the year-old OP stated, putting out a full season of episodes every year is a hefty workload.

My big concern is whether any revival would have enough going for it beyond the nostalgia factor. I don't want a return to the dense, impenetrable myth arc the show devolved into during its later years. Plus a straight revival would be tricky to pull off, given how audience tastes have moved on in the last fifteen years. After all, a big part of it's early success was that the Paranormal Investigation/Urban Fantasy genre was largely unexplored on TV when it came out. A revival would have to hold up when compared to a whole lot of shows the original series inspired.

6. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Oh god. That was awful. They didn't even try to write a good script.

Not that X-files was ever very good.

7. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    Yeah it deflated my nostalgia boner quite a bit. Quarter-mast at best. Though the last ten minutes had some saucy goodness.

Maybe it'll pay off.

8. Snapdragon

Snapdragon Banned

I think the main problem for me is the atmosphere/look isn't there. Afaik the old series was filmed around Seattle with a lot dark/rainy weather. All this light/sunshine doesn't help at all.