1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

New and Almost Recommended Harry Potter Fanfiction

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Dark Minion, Sep 20, 2014.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghosthree3

Ghosthree3 Unspeakable DLP Supporter

You're right, I should really have remembered that. Any chance that came from a real source? Or did someone make it up.

Although canon indirectly contradicts it by making a note to burn the paper after Harry reads it. If that wiki quote was true I guess that would be unnecessary.

2. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

This is what HPL has to say:

So the basic logic is that unless the Secret Keeper told you the whereabouts of [XYZ] location, you can't find it.

But in OotP we have Moody showing Harry a piece of paper with Grimmauld's address and that was enough.

It has to be said though that Moody burned it right after Harry memorized it. I can't really think of a plausible reason why on earth would anyone allow Mundungus Fletcher to keep a piece of paper with the address.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  3. Stan

Stan Order Member

That's because the paper in OoTP was written by Dumbledore, who was the secret keeper.

And if Dumbledore trusted Dung enough to give him Harry protection duty, he would probably trust him to memorize a piece of paper and burn it as well.

4. Baradine

Baradine Seventh Year

Huh, didn't know that. Is there a more reliable, well, wiki of information? Sorry about taking this off topic a bit.

5. irrelevance

irrelevance First Year

Nothing in wiki form. The Harry Potter Lexicon is the most realible non-official source for canonical information.

6. Stan

Stan Order Member

Is anyone else following The Amplitude, Frequency and Resistance of the Soul Bond? It updated yesterday.

It is kinda terrible (the latest update had at least a dozen grammar errors), but at the same time it makes me laugh out loud at least twice every chapter. I've never been quite sure what to make of this fic.

7. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

I've happened across that fanfic in the past and absolutely loved it.

Why? Because it's got the best Dumbledore. Seriously, you can't help but love him.

He's got just the right tone of competence and casual, cheerful insanity I'd always expected of him.

8. Ghosthree3

Ghosthree3 Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Damn it, I wanted to try it after Odran's comments but I'm still touched by H/G bitterness. I wish I could enjoy everything...

9. Photon

Photon Order Member

I am not sure why this, of all things, is supposed to be problem. They are describing fictional court. In fact it is fairly plausible that court system of magical UK is horrific mishmash of how Muggle one works, imagination of how Muggle one works and other additions.

And no matter what kind of court will be invented it is unlikely to be stranger than some real courts.

10. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Except for the fact HP legal proceedings in most fanfics consist of:

-Enter court
    -Bones is judge
    -Demand Veritiserum
    -Immediately cleared of all charges
    -Shit on Fudge/Dumbledore for arranging the farce by citing an ancient law that everyone knows but they forgot.

They are horrendously flawed trials that have no proper procedure and are just dumb.

11. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

In other words it is on the same level as Harry's trial in OotP.

12. Photon

Photon Order Member

The real problems here are repetitions from other stories and Veritaserum/Pensieves solving all problems ("are just dumb").

"have no proper procedure" is not a real issue.

For example one of the best trial stories in literature (The Trial by Franz Kafka) also had procedure that can not be considered as proper.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  13. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

It's an extension of 'the problem with most fics about topic X is the author usually has no idea how X works'. In other words, that problem is covered for by the 90%-shit-rule.

And yes, of course I expect a fictional court (or fictional politics, or fictional conflict, or ...) to make sense: If Harry can make rambling speeches (sounding like a retard, in every but the authors' head) and then stun the assembled law-wizards into silence by pulling out That Olde Pureblood Law no one ever knew about before, that's shit and nothing anyone can say can change that.

Edit: Are you really pulling out Kafka now? That's so out of the ballpark it's not even funny, because the fail!courts in FF are supposed to be fantastic, and the author lacks the intelligence to realise it's not. That's something entirely different from presenting a purposefully broken system.

14. Stan

Stan Order Member

Of Bare Feet and Blibbering Humdingers

Non-epilogue compliant. Four years after the war ends, Ron quits the aurors and moves back in with his parents. Luna has returned from her world travels, older, wiser and now her owl has low self-esteem. Oh, and Harry finds the whole thing hilarious. A Ron/Luna fic because it's weirdly perfect.

Sort of decent-ish Ron/Luna romance. The writing and characterizations are far from amazing, but I've been looking for a multi-chapter Ron/Luna fic for quite some time now, and this isn't too bad. 28k words, updates quite regularly.

15. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

Limpieza de Sangre

By: TheEndless7

Harry Potter always knew he'd have to fight in a Wizarding War, but he'd always thought it would be after school, and not after winning the Triwizard Tournament. Worse still, he never thought he'd understand both sides of the conflict. AU with a Female Voldemort.

I realize "Endless7" isn't a favorite on DLP but seeing as this is a femVoldemort fic I figured it was worth looking at. Writing is good though it needs another chapter or two before it can be well judged.

16. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

17. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

Whoops. Sorry about that.

18. Pure Infinity

Pure Infinity High Inquisitor

Sometimes The Only Winning Move Is Not To Play by war hippy fatigues
    Or: How a somewhat cowardly Harry Potter with poor social skills tries to save the day.
    Rated: Fiction T - English - Adventure - Harry P., Basilisk - Chapters: 21 - Words: 40,740 - Reviews: 94 - Favs: 243 - Follows: 319 - Updated: Jan 23 - Published: Jun 4, 2015 - id: 11291745

Something of an odd fic. Harry in it is basically an unlikable dickhead. He's the exact opposite of what you'd want a protagonist to be - completely uninterested in adventure or strange happenings. He prefers to hide in the library, keep his head down, and not talk to anyone. It isn't exactly fair to hold that against the story, as it's pretty obvious it's what the author was trying to accomplish by writing it, but it's a pretty horrible portrayal of Harry. He might as well not even be there.

That said, I've found it to be a somewhat interesting take on the character, and I kind of found myself kind of liking it a little bit.

I'm not putting it up for review, simply because I don't like it all that much. However, I do think it's worth a read, if you have nothing better to do.

19. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Eh? I never complained when I read about Harry doing the smart thing and keeping well away from all risky stuff. I like that kind of protagonist. The point is that as an author, it's your responsibility to still tell a compelling story. If this story features a sensible Harry but is also boring, that's the author's fault, not this version of Harry's character's.

I have to check it out.

Edit: Oh bleh, he played it as a comedy? Yeah, that's fail. But that's the author being off-putting, not this version of Harry, at least inherently.

I also would challenge the author's underlying notion, "if only Harry had done nothing, nothing would have happened". That's thinking far too short. If Harry had done nothing, different things would have happened -- and whether they would've been better things is the question indeed. (Which, of course, is exactly the way to insert conflict in this case.)

The author had a decent idea but stopped halfway in thinking about it. 2/5 for effort. Pity.

20. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

The World of Tomorrow (One Shot)

By: Clell65619

During in the raid on the Ministry of Magic at the end of Harry's 5th year, Harry ended up in a firefight in the Time Room and vanished.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11766210/1/The-World-of-Tomorrow

It's the only one of it's kind and made me laugh a bit. Harry Potter/Futurama crossover.

Not open for further replies.