1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

New PC

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Eilyfe, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

Okay, thanks. Changed the chasis to this one.

Will probably make the order this week and by the end of the next will probably have it and finally be able to play the Witcher 3. Once again, thank you all.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  2. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Thinking of picking up an Alienware Alpha i3 then throwing in some more ram and storage. Not sure if worth tho.

Thoughts?

3. Sacro

Sacro Groundskeeper

Depends on what you want to do with it. What games do you play? What resolution? What settings do you want to be able to run the games at?

The problems with it is that you can't upgrade the GPU, since it's soldered on (at least to my knowledge). It's also not a really good GPU - it's a cutsom GTX 860M. I must say though, that it's a pretty nice package for the reduced price (the i3 alone normally costs about $140).

In short: if you don't have a problem with playing games on low-medium (maybe high in some cases), and you don't mind not being able to upgrade the GPU, you could think about buying it. If you want more however, you'd be better off paying more and building a normal desktop.

4. JoJo23

JoJo23 Unspeakable

I have a 750 ti (more or less identical to the gpu on it). It does the job, but borders on it. Witcher 3 plays at 1080p 60fps low settings with medium textures. It will probably do current gen.

But really, you want at least the capacity to have a little more horsepower down the line

5. Darth Disaster

High Score:
    On further research I decided to go with an IBUYPOWER WA563R7. Expandable and with great power for the price. Anyone see any trouble points Ii might have missed?

Or a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229618 they seem comparable, just with a better price point on the latter unless anyone can spot a problem.

Only real issue is the psu on both. But thats easy to upgrade and the r7 250 isnt great, but i have years of gaming to make up on. By the time I'm caught up on previous games I should have enough to upgrade the video card as well.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  6. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Only a couple possibilities on the Newegg comp I can see. Depending on what you want to do with it (and really, that's the telling issue) and if you want the ability to expand, there's only 2 memory slots on the board, which may limit you in the future. Also, I'd personally want a PCIe slot at x8 as well as x16, rather than x1 (so you could, for instance, drop a PCie type SSD in it for great read/write speeds while you're gaming). But if you aren't planning any upgrades outside of a GPU and PSU, it may not be a big deal to you.

7. Sacro

Sacro Groundskeeper

Is building one yourself out of the question?

As for those two: I don't like that the one on newegg doesn't give the exact motherboard model. If the motherboard doesn't have heatsinks for the VRMs, then you're limited to a top-blow cooler if you ever want to change it for something else. Probably wouldn't be an issue on a FX-6xxx, but on a FX-8xxx it's a pretty comon issue.

Another thing with AMD in general is that there's currently no AMD motherboard that supports PCIe 3.0. That doesn't really matter with current GPU's, but it might become an issue with future GPU's, so if you want the board (and CPU) to last a little longer you might want to consider Intel instead.

8. Darth Disaster

High Score:
    It really is at the moment, plus I want something with a warranty. I tend to be sorta rough on my electronics.

I ended up going with the Newegg PC. Because of the price point after 2yr onsite warranty and the fact that it should play all the games I want to play. Im not super picky about performance so long as its playable, and the newegg accomplishes that for a full 200 less after warranty/tax/shipping. By the time any of the expansion problems like not having PCIe 3.0 or the heatsink problems become an issue I should have enough to just upgrade to something far better.

I'm perfectly capable of building a PC myself. But you can't get warranties on a PC you build yourself. And until I have enough money to reliqnly replace any parts that my rough handling may damage. It's best to just have a warranty.

I know it means ill have to drop cash on a full replacement a bit earlier when they become obsolete, but it fit my current needs well enough in other areas to make up for it.

Ty to both Sacro and Scrubb for the responses. I just made the purchase an hour or so ago after rereading both posts. Almost went with the ibuypower pc because of your points, but cash tipped the scales in the end.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
  9. Sacro

Sacro Groundskeeper

Huh? You've got warranty on every induvidual part if you build it yourself. RAM, for example, almost always comes with lifetime warranty. The rest of the parts usually come with 2-5 years of warranty, depending on manufacturer. I don't know where you got the idea that you don't have warranty if you build a system yourself.

10. Mkis

Mkis Super Sleuth

True. Due to lengths of warranties of separate components, the overall warranty deal can actually be much better for a self-build PC than any ready-made computer. Of course there is a chance for an instant part warranty removal just by plainly screwing something up while building, but I'd say that's part of the fun.

11. Darth Disaster

High Score:
    Manufacturer's warranties are always just failure in the regular course of use. They never cover things like accidental damage or theft or negligence or anything they think might be one of those three things instead of just failure in the normal course of use. My experiences have shown me that manufacturer warranties are crap unless the company already has an explicitly good reputation for their warranties.

Ive never run into a decent one at all. I've seen and been endlessly frustrated by the manufacturer's Always-Heavily-Limited warranties, but those are generally useless/worthless past 30 days AFAIK and they always want you to go through mail-and-wait, which is crap. No, I mean a real warranty/protection plan, where I can take a damn hammer to the thing if I want and still get my replacement free, on site.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
  12. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    It always does, doesn't it?

Honestly, I've looked at building lower-end computers, and for the price you're looking at, I have a hard time building something in that price range and getting what I want. Having a warranty that you don't have to mess with is a good option, too.

13. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

So, I'm getting around revamping my PC after it almost died on me, and I wanted you guys opinion on whether I should change or add anything on the build I have:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950 3.07GHz
    GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB
    PSU: 700W
    SDD: Kingston Digital HyperX FURY 240GB
    HDD: Seagate 1TB
    CASE: CoolerMaster ATX HAF 912 Plus
    FANS: 1x Cooler FAN CoolerMaster Sickleflow 12cm,
    1x Silent Master 200mm Blue LED Fan

The parts bolded are the ones I'm going to buy. It will be mainly a gaming PC, and I'm willing to splash some cash for it. I was also looking for monitors that would allow me to take advantage of this to the maximum without busting my wallet. I'm far from a professional gamer, thus I feel like a lot of high end monitors are just waaay overkill.

14. Sacro

Sacro Groundskeeper

Manufacturer and model are needed. Pure wattage is not useful, since there are many cheap PSU's that are advertised with high wattage, but are unable to actually deliver it.

Get a Samsung 850 evo/pro or Crucial MX 300 instead.

If you're looking for one, just make sure that it has DisplayPort, and maybe an IPS panel. Just stay away from Asus and Acer - go for a BenQ, Dell or something along those lines, and read reviews. Since you plan on getting a GTX 1080, you could look at a Gsync monitor, but that would pretty much bind you to Nvidia.

15. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

1- Yeah, it's not a really good one. Gonna See if Ican find the name, since its the Desktop its with the support.

2- Hmm. Sure, but mind telling me why these are better?

3- Cool. Thanks a lot.

16. Sacro

Sacro Groundskeeper

Good price/performance and reliability have made the Samsung and Crucial drives pretty much the standard recommendation.

17. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I would also try and go slightly bigger SSD than 240gb. It may seem like enough now, but you'll find yourself running out of space quite quickly.

Also, any reason why you haven't upgraded to Windows 10? Once you disable all of the tracking and weird shit, it's really quite a good OS.

18. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

The SSD would be solely for running Windows. Ans I didn’t because I have no idea how to disable all that shit, so never ended up bothering with installing it.

19. Hachi

Hachi Death Eater

In that case buy a Samsung 850 evo or pro with 128gb -if it's just for your OS and essential drivers and the like-. Don't forget to switch off your HDD when you're installing Windows.

As well, tailoring your Windows 10 is quick & easy. It took me like 2 hours and a few google searches to make it run like I wanted to. I'd make the upgrade if I were you.

For your PSU, try to find if it's 80+ Bronze/Silver/Gold certified, and from a good brand, like Seasonic, Superflower, etc...

You could probably save some money by buying an 1070 instead of a 1080, unless you want to game on ultra settings @4k you're never going to need a GPU that powerful.

20. Wizard Giller

Wizard Giller Seventh Year

DirectX12 is reason enough by itself to go for Windows 10 for a gaming PC if you're paying for a new OS license either way.