1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Harry amidst the Vaults of Stone by NothingPretentious - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Sigurd, Apr 14, 2013.

1. deathinapinkboa

deathinapinkboa Minister of Magic

The world building is a good when Harry is with the Goblins, though CheddarTrek is right about the author making it easy on herself. That seriously detracts from the story.

The Goblins are present as a basically flawless culture, and I don't like that. If they were so perfect, they'd have taken the wizards by now.

The reason this isn't a 4/5 is Hogwarts. Harry gets on that train, and the story gets boring.

The exposition is relentless and does nothing for plot progression--in fact, I suspect that the writer neither knows nor cares where her story is going. That is beyond tedious.

By the time I was done, I could bring myself to subscribe to update alerts.

3/5

2. Stormey

Stormey Groundskeeper

I tried and tried.
    I just couldn't get into it.

All that boring goblin stuff made me skip the chapters.
    Dumbledore is written in a way that makes me feel like I`m supposed to be glad that its not an evil manipulative Dumbledore? He is dumbed down way too much.

I thought it would be better when we get to Hogwarts, so I skipped a bit, and went to later chapters. Unfortunately they were just as boring.

And all that crap about Wizards being so illogical compared to Goblins was irritating as well.

2/5 from me.

3. IBG

IBG Seventh Year

8 chapters in and I am so sick of reading about Harry crafting jewelry and working with metal. Basically 2 chapters worth of actual plot advancement so far, 2/5 for decent grammar etc, but this doesn't belong in the library.

4. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

I did enjoy this story. It was interesting in the way a documentary on another culture would be.

That being said, the moment he hit Hogwarts I got bored. There's no plot advancement so far other than a few pureblood overtures. Harry just seems annoyed and bored by everyone in his immediate circles; Hermione is shrieky so I can see why.

I wanted to like it so much, but I'm just having a really hard time staying engaged. 151,941 words later and Bellatrix + Sirius have more or less been forgotten in lieu of masturbatory sessions on magical theory and goblin magic exposés.

I'll give it a 4, it did keep me entertained and the writing is pretty decent.

5. Charlesnaismith

Charlesnaismith First Year

4/5

I like this one lots if it continues and gets beyond 2nd year, I would up my rating to 4.5/5

6. mort

mort Groundskeeper

An actually good fiction. At first I was adverse to reading it because of (as people mentioned before) Harry Crow which I really didn't like. However on reading this I realize that yes, it is much, much better.
    The writing style is quite nice actually and has managed to explain the Goblin culture as it has, without being too tedious.
    So far so good~ 4/5

7. Rising galium knight

Rising galium knight Squib

High Score:
    It's a pretty good story though I was hesitant to read it when I read the summary and it's likeness to Harry Crow. Iss completely different. The Goblin world that the author developer is almost as intricate as the world formed in the story Prince of the dark kingdom. I liked Harry as improvised by the character though I can't say I liked Ron.

8. Sigurd

Sigurd DA Member

Last post: 05-02-2013, 11:08 AM

We should add necromancy to this story's tags.

9. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

There is no necromancy rule in the Library. Reviews are desirable no matter how old the story is.

Posting in old Library threads is not only okay; it is encouraged.

10. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

And to add to that, some of you shitheads need to learn the difference between a shitpost and a review.