1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

It's An Owners Market - Game Over!

Discussion in 'Little Italy' started by Regfan, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Jarizok

Jarizok Auror DLP Supporter

That's what she'd want you to think. :sherlock:

2. Jan

Jan Fourth Year

There are many better ways to get townread.
    What happened here is not something she had any control or could foresee.

It wasn't a real conversation starter, I think. It was a continuation from something in the thread.
    Worst case her actions here are role neutral.

Buying the doc and leaving hitman for town, means mafia can't do anything against potential jailkeeper or 1x doc, unless they buy the other hitman later.
    Your thought process there is short term gain (sameresult as before n1 + deny of town role)vs. longterm loss (no ability against future protections).
    Mostly a question of style and mechanics that we don't need to do while the mafia are listening. Shoot me a shared qt and we can talk all that stuff.

Do you think that it is unlikely for someone going into the thread to think that :

2x doctor + 2x hitman (makes protection useless on the night it is used) = doctor useless or at least way less useful?

That is a pretty easy conclusion to make if you reduce the pool.

Most people are less likely to buy the doc ability in the hopes to get a save near endgame.
    Most people don't think they are alive that long and want to use part of their abilites early on.

After that is is all mindgames, BUT let us do the math here.

13 players. With 1 lynch and 1 nightkill every day and the game going down to final 3 we have 6 (six!) gamecycles.
    Mafia can interrupt the Protective roles in 50% of those cycles.
    If they use their ability the first 3 nights (that is if the 2nd hitman goes up for sale), then we are down to 7/13 people on day 4.
    Nearlly half of the people are dead.
    The doc has to be alive at that point AND not get lynched for 2 more days to get hits shots of without claiming (because they cannot claim or they just die that night which makes their role useless).

Which means the game is in final 3 the moment the doc loses his 2 doc-uses if he did not get a save.
    This all is without other abilities that might save lives/stop the nightkill and without the vigi.
    But it is also without considering the posibility of mafia winning befor final 3 (i won't consider town winning before, because then a doc has just won while having shots left).

That is just the straightforward play. both mafia and doc can go for mindgames by either delaying(mafia) or advance (doc) the play and hope to outbluff the other party.

While I would not sign up for the "doc is useless" party, I am 100% on board with the part where the usefullness of doc is reduced by 60% just by having the 2x hitman out on the first day.

And the more I write about mechanics the more I want to lynch fonti.

3. Jarizok

#28 is follow up on the doctor/hitman thing. Vira keeps it up, even though she had the option to go; yeah, okay, doctor is still pretty good. Discussion aplenty at that time, so we can now confirm that that wasn't her goal.

(filler)

Rubi-Vira interaction:

R: It's Vira for suggesting we not have a doctor.

Vira: No? (quotes #28 "It's better to have the Doctor than not have it, but I don't see it as Tier 1 priority.")

This coupled with her 3rd post could be w/w. I'll leave it at that for the doctor thing and start with het Typhon attack open minded.

4. tom

tom First Year

High Score:
    Aight euros.
    I'm gonna go to bed and maybe try to talk to some americans after work tomorrow.
    GLHF

5. Jan

Jan Fourth Year

Sorry for that mechanics post tom. Feel free to ignore it and just sing along to the tune in your head.
    You are a strong independent man who doesn't need no mechanics.

Be careful .. I don't have a single townread that I would go ride or die with just yet.

But there are 3-4 people that are more than just a townlean, which is a good start.

+ I don't think Viras thoughts have to be just level 1. Look at my mechanics post .. I tried to make the math easy and obvious and tried to not give away more than was needed or the scumteam would not know already anyway.

While her thoughts might be level one, they are still true further down the rabbithole.

---------- Post automerged at 11:38 ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 ----------

Sleep well and don't take candy from strangers. Not even if they have a sweet van and fluffy handcuffs.

---------- Post automerged at 11:39 ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 ----------

I should really start spoilering the parts where I talk mechanics from now on.

Makes it easier to read for everyone involved.

You guys should tell me things like that before I post walls every other post.

6. tom

tom First Year

High Score:
    It's not that I'm against mechanics talk. I just find it boring and NAI.

---------- Post automerged at 02:43 ---------- Previous post was at 02:43 ----------

Oh right, bed.

7. Jan

Jan Fourth Year

I gave you an out. Either you take it or you take the candy and get into the van with the other gullible peons.

---------- Post automerged at 11:48 ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 ----------

And yes - we are talking van, not bus.

I would never let tom in my bus, I would drive right over him.

8. Jarizok

Okay, so starting from scratch on Vira.

We've learned that this is a pretty typical reaction to Typhon D1 from past games. Voting someone you don't get for a reaction is pretty standard. Could go either way.

In #74 she says she'd neighbourize Waco or Rubi when asked about it. There's probably some history between Vira and Rubi because they've been interacting a fair bit. If that history is from something other than mafia, it makes sense to neighbourize him, she has a better handle on him than the rest, can probably figure him out to attack the game together. On the other hand, if they've played mafia together before, maybe she's confident she can sort him out either way, in which case she shouldn't be neighbourizing him. Either way, the Vira-Rubi interaction has been noted. Waco is probably there because of his begging to be neighbourized, but he's a fair target either way. I ask her why those two;

In her #142 she points out my awkward posts. Fair enough, I got plenty of suspicion for those, but there's no follow up there. Could be shade, could just be there to get her thoughts together.

Quite a mild reaction considering the person she's voting to hang wants to elect her. Dunno what to do with that.

This is a good post. Town cred for that one.

---------- Post automerged at 11:59 ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 ----------

I should check what I wrote before I post. I used either way 3 times in 2 sentences.

---------- Post automerged at 12:05 ---------- Previous post was at 11:59 ----------

So in the end Vira is still Null for me, I can see it either way. Typhon next.

9. Jan

Jan Fourth Year

The part where you reread the whole post after a write up to finetune it is my biggest struggle as well.

I already know my thoughts, no need to reread them more than needed.

10. Regfan

Regfan First Year

High Score:
    Lynch Vote Count 1.3

Cobalt (4): Jan, Miner, Tom, Jarizok
    Rubicon (2): The Waco Kid, Typhon
    Typhon (2): Vira, Koalas
    Jarizok (2): Fontisian, Newcomb

Not Voting (3): Cobalt, His Fluffiness, Rubicon

Player Currently to be Lynched at Deadline: Cobalt

Elect Vote Count 1.3

Fontisian (2): Fontisian, Jan
    His Fluffiness (2): His Fluffiness, Jarizok
    The Waco Kid (1): The Waco Kid
    Miner (1): Miner
    Vira (1): Typhon
    Tom (1): Tom
    Newcomb (1): Newcomb

Not Voting (4): Cobalt, Koalas, Rubicon, Vira

Player Currently to be Elected at Deadline: Fontisian

Day Ends in ~63 hours of this post when that countdown link expires.
    Mid Day Update is in ~15 Hours.

11. Jarizok

Elect: Waco

---------- Post automerged at 12:47 ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 ----------

Good call reg.

12. Waco Kid

Waco Kid Groundskeeper

Ya'll need to post when i'm not at work/asleep...
    Jarizok

[​IMG]

Now we just need a few more people to join

---------- Post automerged at 08:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 AM ----------

And...

(Yes, I know Cobalt hasn't really done much if anything since then, but Koalas has...)

I don't agree. It feels simplistic, and I consider one of the important staples I use for figure out Miner is sorting through explanations of thought process and reasoning, and he's not doing that here. Maybe I'm wrong, but from where I sit it could just as easy be a front for scum!Miner as it could be town!Miner

---------- Post automerged at 08:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 AM ----------

Going through the rest of last night's stuff, I'm fairly confident elevating Jan to T, and still feel ok with Typhon as LT

---------- Post automerged at 09:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 AM ----------

Alright, my eyes are going blurry looking at the screen, which means I'm gonna call it a night.

13. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Sanity check: at best this is a challenge to himself. At worst this is window dressing. Completely null in other words. I would not let be townreading him over this.

And on a more.. Winey level that picture feels like something that'd be chosen by scum over town.

14. Typhon

Typhon Order Member

Ehh. I went back and looked at what you're talking about, but that kinda just feels like Cobalt to me. "I didn't ask you to agree with my reads" or whatever is something that stakes me more as a Cobalt thing than a scum or town Cobalt thing, if that makes sense?

The Jan/Cobalt thing is interesting and I'm keeping an eye on it, but so far i think those interactions have said more about Jan than Cobalt.

I would quite like to hear more from Cobalt, though.

~~~

I'm trying pretty hard to not engage with votes on me because I feel like that was part of what began sort of fucking with my perspective last game and I want to avoid that, but I don't think Kalas's reasoning holds much water. He point out the difference in tone of posts in the first few hours of the game, which were done on my phone, and the ones after that which were typed at my computer - I kinda feel like the answer to why the change occurred is obvious in that sentence. The only other thing I see is "over-explainy", which I think we established in SVM is just how I think/post while I'm trying to gain perspective on a game.

Idk that we need to go any further those that lines of questioning, but shrug. If he has any questions for me, I'm here.

---------- Post automerged at 09:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 AM ----------

Talk to me about this. You had Cobalt as your top scum at the time of your wall, but didn't vote then and didn't seem particularly eager to talk it over with Jan/whoever.

Then Tom votes Cobalt, and you immediately follow. What's going through your head there?

---------- Post automerged at 09:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 AM ----------

Not sure what your first point is. I was repeating it because I said it was a good idea to keep the elect vote on your top town read at any given moment, voted for fonti 30 minutes into the game because I liked her tone despite the fact I said we shouldn't end on her or Newcomb, and I got several questions about it. It wasn't meant to be a cutting edge insight, it was a response.

For the second part, I think I was a mason once? Otherwise no. But idk, I guess I just don't understand how you could ask probing, alignment indicative questions in a private QT that you couldn't in the thread. There are a handful of questions you could ask in private, sure, but it's not as though you're under oath in a QT.

15. Jarizok

Well, it makes sense to vote your top scum and I was hoping to hype the train. I also recalled AYAW 4 where Cobalt got lynched because of overdefensive and she was scum.

16. Typhon

Typhon Order Member

Yeah, okay, have a spiritual thumb Jan.

Unelect, Elect: Jan

---------- Post automerged at 09:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 AM ----------

Umm.

You are not making me not want to string you up.

17. Jarizok

He* was scum! Friggin Beyonce.

---------- Post automerged at 17:03 ---------- Previous post was at 17:00 ----------

Meh, it's early. There's plenty of time to to make you want not want to lynch me.

---------- Post automerged at 17:04 ---------- Previous post was at 17:03 ----------

Apparently you'll want it a lot cos I wrote it twice.

18. Typhon

Typhon Order Member

I clearly disagree (that I'm trying to fit the tell where it doesn't go). Can you explain to me why it doesn't apply? I think I've made it clear why I think it does, but I'll try again if you'd like?

And meh. I think scum would probably be fairly cautious regardless of Rubicon's alignment. That was probably the first exchange with any weight to it in the game. They might have jumped on in a town!Rubicon world, if the rest of town had been receptive to my point, but the general reception seems to be "ehh, maybe, but probably not". They might have pushed back against me if Rubicon is scum, but I'm not going down the rabbithole of making Rubicon lock scum in my head and searching for his partners. I know how that ends, and it's a sad time. I could just be wrong - I don't really think so, but I'm not going to burn all credulity trying to persuade people of a mindset slip I think I saw in the first few hours of the game.

---------- Post automerged at 10:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 AM ----------

Maybe I've missed it, but do you ever actually say what it is that you're town reading Miner for? Like, it feels like you're sort of giving us status updates.

"Idk about Miner"
    "I'm sure Miner will work himself out"
    "Miner has worked himself out - I am town reading Miner now"

And that's fine, in a certain sense. But the important bit is why, right? What made you go from "idk but I'm confident I'll figure it out" to "I think I did figure it out and the dude is probably town"?

---------- Post automerged at 10:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 AM ----------

But why though? I'm not sure I understand how his response made you town read him.

19. Jarizok

I'll just quote myself here. Note that this was before tom said something similar, but noone picked up on it when I said. Sad times.

20. Miner

Miner Order Member

You smile and ask him "Are you a Werewolf?"