1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin [Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Philly Homer, May 3, 2009.

1. Lion

Lion Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Olenna Tyrell dropping bombs with her last breath. Reach got steamrolled but what else could you expect after Tarly left them. I just want to see Dany lead a Dragon raid to burn some shit. I've been waiting too long not to see a Dragon fuck up a large amount of people.

2. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

That opening scene was such a blatant show of power, you could see how Jon was more amused by it than impressed.

Davos and Jons reaction to all those titles, haha.

Loved Davos introducing Jon.

Sansa's going to have fun, Bran the "three eyed raven" and Arya "no one"

3. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

So I saw an interesting comment today: "Melissandre said she brought Ice and Fire together. I wonder if she was also the one responsible to bring Rhaegar and Lyanna together back in the day considering she is so old."

4. Viewtiful

Viewtiful Groundskeeper

Why would she have? Melisandre only threw in with Jon recently, previously she thought it was Stannis who was important and didn't care about Jon or Targaryens at all.

5. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

After hearing her comment about having to die in what was it? "Kings Landing" also after seeing the clip of her as an old woman makes me wonder if she isn't even older. Maybe along the time of the first White Walkers

6. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    No, I get that. What I'm saying is that it's kind of ridiculous to me that she's claiming that when what it basically saying is "Hey you guys remember that whack job who burned your friends and family alive for kicks? Well I'm his kid so bow." Combine that with the fact she's getting more arrogant by the second and threatening to burn people alive with her dragons and all of this kinda sounds like deja vu.

7. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The iron throne is cursed I tell ya!

Cursed!!!

Also Targaryens are all crazy anyway.

Jons only Sane because of Lyanna's northern blood to temper him.

8. calutron

calutron Unspeakable

Her claim through inheritance is bullshit.

The original Targ claim was based on right by conquest, when the kings of the 7 kingdoms bent the knee, it was with the understanding that the Targ's would hold up their end of the bargain to protect the realm and be just.

The Mad King's actions were anything but just, and he had broken faith with his vassals, who in turn declared their ancestors vows invalid and rose up in rebellion. Through conquest, the Targaryean king was defeated. Robert's right to the throne is by right of conquest, just the Aegon the Conqueror's claim.

Dany has no right to any of the 7 kingdoms, she must either by war or diplomacy regain the vows of the present kingdoms.

9. Kravot

Kravot Fourth Year

While I liked the episode, I've pretty much given up on any respect for the lore the show had.

Guest rights are disregarded, Bread and Salt forgotten. Maybe Dany, being raised in Essos doesn't give a shit - but isn't Tyrion supposed to know better, and advise her how to host? Jon arrived in Dragonstone to become a prisoner.
    The Iron Bank support slave trade - while being founded and manned by braavosi men who abhor slavery (some people think the banker was being non committal in his response, and I agree - his answer was non committal, but I don't think there is anything clever behind it) maybe I'm wrong here - I don't think so.

That's just lore related things that popped up to me this episode.

Worse is the fact that any realism is lost for dramatic effect. Actions don't carry the same consequences they would have in seasons 1-4. I wouldn't mind them changing the world as much if the writing was up to the same standard of the first couple of seasons.
    Especially concerning travel times. The Unsullied sail from Dragonstone around the same time Asha's fleet does, yet Euron has time to sink Asha, return to Kings landing and then sail all the way to Casterly Rock - and arrive just when the Unsullied finished storming the castle.

I learned to enjoy the show despite these flaws, and I enjoyed the episode. Great scenes and acting, it stills looks gorgeous. But I can't help notice these things, and just sigh.

Edit:
    Also Dany was such an arrogant petulant child in this episode. Taking insults when non are given. "He refused to call me queen" Well, he did address her as one addresses a monarch - your grace. While she spited him and his kingship by calling him a lord. While it was pretty cool seeing these two characters together, and it had some awesome moments like Davos standing up for Jon - I actually thought it was one of the worse scenes in the episode - at least writing wise.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  10. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

To be fair, Jon shouldn't give up his weapons before getting these rights confirmed. As it was, he became a prisoner before Dany shared the food and the drink with him.

Yes, that part was more than a little problematic. They probably just wanted the Iron Bank to represent a typical amoral financial organizations instead of being an amoral financial organization that is against slavery because of its history. ;)

The Reach never being good at fighting as commented by Olenna which is an opposite of how they're in the books.

11. Ash'Ura

Ash'Ura Totally Sirius

I am loving Sansa's sass this season and Littlefinger continues to be creepy psychotic fuck.

12. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    ^This
    She hasn't done a damn thing worth being called Queen. All she's done in Westeros is show up, declare herself Queen and make demands because she's a Targaryen. When she talks I don't hear someone who should be followed, I hear Viserys 2.0. An idiot brat with delusions of grandeur whose done nothing to earn them.

13. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

Pretty sure that this is not how any sort of medieval inheritance worked (at least not in theory)... Yes in practice possession is as they say 9/10ths of the law but I don't think you find any basis in RL for your argument of her having no claim because Robert conquered the Kingdom or the actions of her insane grandfather. For gods sake history if full of examples of people/kings claiming far more insane things - I mean just look at for example the claimants of the title of the kingdom of Jerusalem (I think the Spanish king claims that title today) - many of would wish to have had as tangible a claim as Dany has and that is just one of many examples.

It doesn't exactly make her actions smart since there is a massive difference between theory and practice and few feudal leader ever got to where they are by insulting her theoretical vassals but her theoretical claim certainly exists and is strong (and the whole title thing is also far from unusual, especially in a public setting like an public audience - RL is once again full of far more extreme examples (indeed compared to RL GoT is in most cases far more lax on issues of ceremony etc. which were very serious issues in the past))

14. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Much of Game of Thrones is based on the RL conflicts in the War of the Roses. When the Lancasters were in power, the Yorks would claim they were the rightful rulers of England based on their true Plantagenet heritage, and would cite the crimes and atrocities of the Lancasters as an excuse to revolt and seize power. They would then proceed to murder Lancaster heirs and pass laws to invalidate Lancaster claims.

When the Yorks were in power, the Lancasters did the exact same shit.

And in reality, neither house had a more valid birth claim than the other. The only thing that really mattered in terms of 'rightful inheritance' was who could take control and hold on to power.

15. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I was half expecting one final sardonic smirk from Jaime as Olena died the same way Joffrey did. It would've been fitting, what with the last Sand Snake whatsherface's fate. Not sure if pleased or disappointed at what we got.

On one hand, I do want one of the dragons to die soon and it makes sense (one dies, Jon gets the other potentially) but in either case, I fully expect those fully grown dragons that have been getting hyped since season 1 to fuck some major shit up, and soon.

16. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

The power to rule is the true right. Inheritance may help get or hold power, but if someone has more you wont rule long.

17. funkytoad

funkytoad Fifth Year

Did Jaime really just manage to go from KL to Casterly Rock, assembled/mobilized the Lannister army, evacuate all the people/food, march to Highgarden, and then siege/take it over all in one episode?

Is this all happening in the 14 days Cersei promised to the Iron Bank representative? I'm assuming that she intends to pay them back with the spoils from Highgarden.

18. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That's why they were stacking up and counting gold, yes.

19. Verse of Darkness

Verse of Darkness Denarii Host

But Robert was encouraged to rule over Nedd because he had Targ blood.

20. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

1. Hey, does Littlefinger know Euron stole his Teleporter?

2. Does anyone actually like Ser Jorah Mormont? Why is the Show so insistent of keeping him around, to the point where they cured his incurable disease?

3. Why would the Lannisters be so ok losing Casterly Rock, their freaking home castle? Isn't it kind of the first rule of feudalism that if you can't defend your own home, why should any of your men trust you to defend theirs?

4. How did Jaime manage to capture Highgarden again? And why is Tarly so perfectly ok working with the schmucks that blatantly killed the Tyrells?

5. Should I consider the whole "the Iron Bank, which was founded by runaway slaves, is opposed to a slave-ending revolutionary" bit a clever piece of commentary about how even blatantly anti-slavery people still rely on slavery for their economy (like the free North did with the slave South), or D&D clearly not doing their homework and just pulling stuff out of their asses to explain why Braavos would support the Lannisters? Because seeing how they plan on doing that Confederate show next, I'd like an answer to that question.

6. WHY the %@&# IS LITTLEFINGER STILL AROUND?!?