1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin [Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Philly Homer, May 3, 2009.

1. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    You are entirely deluded if you think that's gonna happen. The show has been rubbing Danny's dick for seasons now.

2. DR

DR Secret Squirrel –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The whole point of the series is the Targaryens retaking the throne. It'll either be her or her nephew.

3. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Which would be hilarious that, considering Martin has become famous for 'subverting fantasy tropes' for him to actually have been aiming for a huge cliche from the start, just with a lot of bodies along the way.

Hilarious(ly bad).

4. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Why would Jon be the rightful ruler over Dany?

Even if Jon's parents said the vows, they would have not been legally married as Rhaegar already had a wife.

Only Aegon I had multiple wives and he agreed to stop that practice when he converted to the Faith of the Seven.

The Realm would under no circumstances accepted Lyanna as a secondary wife, especially at the time of the Mad King. Moreso, without dragons, if they lost the support of the Faith (which they would have), they would have lost their throne even if they had won the war against Robert.

Jon is still going to be a bastard, just a Targaryen one instead of a Stark.

5. arkkitehti

arkkitehti High Inquisitor

Really I don't think the throne will feature too heavily in the future. I'd say Cercei takes the throne with her when she falls (we saw Dany's vision of the burnt out throne room like way back), and the series will eventually end somewhere in the north with no clear winner.

Basically everything the throne stands for is in ashes anyway right now. There's no real power behind the throne anymore.

6. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Didn't Maegor I Targaryen have six wives?

As long as Rhaegar disregarded the consequences of his actions and found a septon to perform the marriage, Jon will have a better claim than Daemon I Blackfyre and about as much potential allies.

7. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

What struck me the most was actually the after-effect of Arya's little display from Sansa. In my mind, she had this tinge of jealousy for Arya who clearly had always been a fighter, and who fought her way out of whatever trouble she encountered on the way home while Sansa had to endure, and endure. Resentment, envy, jealousy were all there, and it's an amazing character growth because Sansa had never been envious of Arya. I like to think she imagined if she had those ninjaskillz against Ramsay...oh the things shouldn't have had to endure.

8. IAmJustAnotherGuy

IAmJustAnotherGuy Seventh Year

Wasn't the grain burnt just the last part of the supply train, thus why Sam's father wanted to flogg the stragglers.

Battle aside, as amazing as Jaime's charge was, anyone else noticed those huge Jon/Dany vibes this episode? The little glances Missandei and Dany gave him before going into the cave, Davos' comments about her good heart and Jon responding that there's no time is not a negation on itself. All of this added to what they said on the GoT Inside the Episode and I wonder how heavy they will go with this romance.

9. El Tarkus

El Tarkus Squib

High Score:
    Well... (Leaks)

According to the leaks, Sam finds an scroll that reports an annulment of marriage for Rhaegar from his first marriage.

:facepalm

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  10. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

You should probably warn it's spoiler from the leaks.

11. Viewtiful

Viewtiful Groundskeeper

I absolutely don't think it'll happen, I just hope it will. I think Dany will heroically sacrifice herself, likely alongside Jon, to defeat the Others, but there's also a possibility they'll go with literally the blandest ending possible and have one or both of them taking the Iron Throne. Frankly my expectations are low.

12. El Tarkus

El Tarkus Squib

High Score:
    Something that keeps me wondering is why Littlefinger is still around Winterfell? Wouldn't be better to return to the Vale than waiting for Bran to speak too much around his sisters?

13. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

Interesting. And tragic. In the books it was heavily implied Bran was crushing on Meera hard and she unwittingly kept ignoring it in favor of trying to cheer them up. (Can't blame her, with 60 years old pre pubescent Jojeen and Bran the Wangster - justified or not, it must be really hard not to get depressed.)

14. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

You are right, Maegor did have multiple wives, but I wouldn't use him as an example as he was universally hated and then overthrown. This was also almost two centuries before as well.

And while Jon might have more supporters if it turns out Rhaegar 'married' his mother, it still would not give him more of a legal standing for the throne compared to Dany, especially if they married in front of the Old Gods.

That being said, you could argue Jon has more of a right if it turns out Rhaegar got the High Septon to annul the marriage between him and Ella. I really hope this does not happen, as its incredibly moronic. By annulling a marriage, you are saying that the marriage never existed and thus Aegon and his sister would be considered bastards in the name of the law. For Rhaegar and his 'three heads of the dragon' making his previous children bastards would do him no good.

Of course, if this happened in the show, all the above would be conveniently ignored.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  15. DR

DR Secret Squirrel –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    For the purposes of the show, which cut out the books' Young Griff plotline, making the status of Rhaegar's marriage to Elia essentially irrelevant, it would make him the only surviving child of the deposed Crown Prince. His claim couldn't be stronger.

16. arkkitehti

arkkitehti High Inquisitor

Why would that matter? Marriages in front of the Old Gods are obviously every bit as legally binding and accepted as ones made in a sept. And if Jon is Rhaegars legal heir then he is ahead of Daenerys in order of succession. Of course it's totally another thing to actually convince others that Rhaegar and Lyanna married in a Godswood somewhere and that Jon is Rheagars heir if there are no witnesses.

But I don't think any of that is going to be of any importance. Jon doesn't want the Iron Throne, no one in the North wants Jon on the Iron Throne, and my guess is that there will be no Iron Throne after this season is over.

17. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yep. I expect toward the end of this season, we're going to see the dead cross the wall and winter abruptly fall over the entire continent. The southern war will grind to a halt, and Cersei will end up spending next season doing increasingly crazy shit that results in a poetic Jaime-related death.

18. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Cersei has exactly zero reason to survive this season.

19. asphyxia

asphyxia First Year

I'd actually be disappointed if she did die this season. Assuming the valonqar business is true, and I don't see why it wouldn't, the only ones who realistically fit the bill to ax her are Tyrion and Jaime. From what we've seen, Jaime doesn't have any reason to kill Cersei yet (aside from the worrying parallels between her and the Mad King, but so far it seems he's content to ignore those as long as she sucks his dick often enough) and remains devoted to her. Tyrion could do it, I guess, but I don't see how Dany & co. are going to take the Red Keep without barfing fire all over it and killing thousands of innocents.

There are only like three episodes left in season seven if I recall correctly. It would be awful if her death and the prophecy surrounding it to be shoehorned in at the end of the season just to get her out of the way; she's been an antagonist for the entire length of the series, and her ending should be given the care that it deserves.

20. VanRopen

VanRopen Headmaster

This is post-Dance and Dany is a woman. Factor in Rhaegar's "marriage", and we're looking at pretty equal claims.