1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Play Your Hand by ekcobase (Star Wars)

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by thattin, Sep 10, 2017.

1. thattin

thattin Second Year

Title: Play Your Hand
    Author: ekcobase
    Rating: K
    Fandom: Star Wars
    Pairings: Luke/Mara
    Genre: Romance
    Chapters: 10
    Words: 15,607
    Updated: December 26, 2015
    Published: November 30, 2015

Summary: Immediately after The Last Command, Mara sets to work trying to put together an agreement between the Smugglers Alliance and the New Republic. Luke, meanwhile, is getting a bit ahead of himself in terms of exactly what Mara has committed to…
    Length: 15,607 words
    Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11643125/1/Play-Your-Hand

Play Your Hand is a short sweet romance fic set just after the Thrawn Trilogy. Romance isn't really my favourite genre yet despite this I find it to be well written and engaging throughout, if a bit clichéd. It's much more of a fluff piece and is a nice length for it. An enjoyable read if nothing else. 4/5

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2017
  2. The.Snorting.Hat

The.Snorting.Hat Second Year

High Score:
    Herm.
    Pros:
    -Pretty good with charactarization.
    -Well written, no unnecessary lengthy fluffs in the middle
    Cons:
    -Plot was meh~ nothing new or groundbreaking
    -I was disappointed with the ending. It felt wayy too rushed. Also, the last action by Mara was completely out of character. She's not one to change her mind on impulse like that. It would have been better if she had left then, followed by a reunion epilogue or something similar.

4/5 because, well it was a good read despite the ending. There aren't any serious flaws to it other than being a bit bland for those who want action.

3. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I read this at some point in the last month, and I barely remember it. From what I do recall, the writing was basically fine, and there were a couple of cute moments, but nothing especially interesting. I guess I'd probably rate it at 3/5.

4. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

The ending was super rushed. I feel like they lost interest about half way through so the level of detail diminishes as you get closer to the end. Romance isn't my thing, neither is fluff.

This fic is very much YMMV. But I feel its a 2/5 at best. I don't like anything about it. It didn't stand out to me on anything other than technical aspect.

5. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The reviews above have it pretty much spot on. If I had to describe this in one word, I'd pick "bland".

Despite supposedly being a romance, there's no passion in this. There are a couple of nods to traditional romantic scenes, such as Luke and Mara's close contact while sparring - that romcom traditional cringe moment. But that's all. This is incredibly domestic, without ever going into the kind of detail needed for it to be slice of life.

Character voices feel completely off. They all sound like the same person speaking, and that person has no personality.

The plot, tenuous as it is, is focused on Mara Jade's struggle with the idea of becoming a Jedi. But there's no more weight behind her feelings than a toddler refusing to eat broccoli.

While the writing isn't technically incorrect when it comes to the mechanical aspects, it is incredibly ugly. And at only 1500 words a chapter, there's not much substance to wade through it.

I could enjoy the bad plot if there was gorgeous writing. I could enjoy the clumsy prose if there was an exciting plot. As neither of these is present, this fic is hampered below almost recommended from me.

2/5