1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

[Mafia Game thread] What mafia is this?

Discussion in 'Little Italy' started by Sooh, May 31, 2018.

1. fontisian

fontisian Slug Club Member

Didn't have a Von read, didn't know where you got yours from. I did have idea on where the Newcomb read was coming from, and disagreed, so I let you know.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Yeah, sometimes town go back and actually read your posts.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Don't remember why I voted Von. It probably had something to do with the feeling I expressed about his lack of presence and Gemma's earlier vote on him. I changed votes to Cobalt, iirc, when he voted Miner off a post Miner had made criticizing Newcomb's vote (also on Miner), as it felt like a blatant opportunistic bandwagon.

No, I pretty much just wanted him to consider that Jari could have been pocketing him. I wasn't sure how I felt about Jari's miner defense and Newcomb townread, or your push on him, and wanted Miner to think about those as well (which would help me with ruling out a miner/jari world and a miner is scum and jari is dumb world). You can tell I was going for that, because my posts before and after that were just attempts to make him consider other worlds or provide logic or do anything other than what he was doing.

2. Gemma

Gemma Sixth Year

Your allergies are getting the better of you.
    --- Post automerged ---
    So... they're partners?

3. Sooh

Sooh First Year

High Score:
    Vote count:

Invalid vote (1): Cobalt,

Fluff (2): Gemma, dC,

Ghouliani (1): Fluff,

Not voting (5): Fonti, Ghouliani, Miner, Jan, Fable,

With 9 alive it takes 7 to hard lynch.

[​IMG]

4. Ghouliani

Ghouliani Muggle

I was going to go with this image, but then I realized I didn't actually want to see this face every time I made a post. I don't hate myself that much.
    [​IMG]

So in honor of the default skin on this forum, I decided to go with a Greenakin avatar. Avatars are serious business.
    --- Post automerged ---
    I don't agree that voting for one scum without reasons and defending another scum hard leads to a slightly town alignment read. If those are the reasons to towntell Fonti, I don't follow them. Can you go more in depth on why this is either out of character for Fonti or just something a scum would likely not do?
    --- Post automerged ---
    Here, you are saying this is something scumFonti can do, but would not do because it isn't optimal, essentially.

Fonti always plays optimally? Just seems like a weak basis for a read. Especially given how much material is available to read for Fonti.

5. Gemma

Gemma Sixth Year

Hi

Who are you

6. Ghouliani

Ghouliani Muggle

Hi Gemma, I am an anonymous player with a few years experience forum-hopping and playing mafia. I treat the game as a mystery to be solved and I aim to play my best until the game is over. While not everyone treats the game as a primarily social experience, that is important to me and I dislike appeals to emotion, out of game stuff, and people being nasty to one another. I will also sit here and guard my town to the best of my abilities until I die, or I have to sleep or work.

7. Gemma

Gemma Sixth Year

Cool. Who are your town?
    --- Post automerged ---
    Feel free to ignore me and continue on with whatever it was you were doing before.

8. Ghouliani

Ghouliani Muggle

That miner quote should not be there. But on the subject, I don't think Jan's post warranted that reaction. Does the Jan town read have an additional basis?

9. Gemma

Gemma Sixth Year

What

10. Ghouliani

Ghouliani Muggle

The end of day one should be interesting to see, based on everything else I've picked up from my reading elsewhere. But I haven't gotten to that part of my catch-up yet, I only saw the first part of that day. I can say I have several strong town reads already but without seeing everything, it's really sloppy to even put them on paper. I do that and I'll start believing them and being invested in those reads and want to defend them and world build, when I should still be trying to judge the posts impartially.

I marked down that I have Dicho as town for post 1400, but I didn't note why other than 'trusting Gemma', and that was yesterday so I will have to go back and re-read it to even tell you why. I think that was actually your post and not Dicho's.

Ok just re-familiarized myself with that post. While I am not a huge fan of out of game meta it is useful, when it is. Other times it leads you into overconfidence because of familiarity, but your post about Dicho convinced me he was town. You know him and regardless of your alignment, with 2 dead scums Dicho is probably town even if you aren't, and if you are, I think you are correct based on your knowledge and the strength of the read you gave and the reasons listed.

'always town' - strength of read
    'ever' - meta
    Newcomb - spew
    specific post numbers mentioned, etc

I also hadn't seen a Dicho post I strongly disagreed with or suspected up to that point for generic reasons, so I was happy to agree. It's a shitty half ass read on my part that could still evolve but that's where I am on forming reads. I will have something more solid when I can base it on something better, and I don't know how I could be confident on something better on Dicho than what you posted, even if I had read everything.
    --- Post automerged ---
    That post was about the miner quote that was put in 1706. I have more tabs open and was going to respond to that quote, but it inserted it into my response to you instead. What I said about that quote in 1708 was to clarify and direct the question to Miner.

11. Gemma

Gemma Sixth Year

That wasn't meta.
    --- Post automerged ---
    But yes, I am correct.

12. Ghouliani

Ghouliani Muggle

Fonti is up there at the moment, but since fonti is posting content and analysis everywhere, eventually I will read all of it and feel confident about where she is. No half ass guesses on content heavy players I think I will be able to read for alignment.

Many individual posts. But if Fonti can do that as town and she is not consensus town then her scum game is also up there, so putting her as safe town without reading every line of logic with great scrutiny is a bad idea.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Ah. Well-

This read as a meta read to me, based on maybe you knowing them well. If it is a generic 'ever' then I've gotten ahead of myself in the zeal to find a townie.

13. Miner

Miner Order Member

I'm only 50% trolling.

Welcome!

14. Gemma

Gemma Sixth Year

Hm.

Yeah okay let's just say it was meta.

15. Ghouliani

Ghouliani Muggle

tyvm
    --- Post automerged ---
    Since this is a hammer-ish game, I am not voting, but if I were it would be on Jan. The mindset is too pessimistic throughout several posts and this one predicts failure and the game continuing for at least 3 days after the d2 lynch.
    --- Post automerged ---
    I know I am new to the game and would love to dazzle everyone with my amazing solving skills that I have yet to actually demonstrate, but the actual best outcome is to just lynch correctly and not need every loose end tied up.

16. Gemma

Gemma Sixth Year

I don't understand any part of this.

17. Ghouliani

Ghouliani Muggle

The perspective reads like someone who knows they're going to be lynched eventually and is resigned to that, but additionally is planning out who can be lynched of the available players and that if the lynch order is as described in the post, the game will continue for several days.

A villager shouldn't know their own top suspects will flip town, nor should they be putting themselves in the poe.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Villagers don't know how the game will go and are focused on solving. Scum are planning out the next several lynches knowing their outcome in advance.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Apropos of nothing, Zenzao's 238 makes me think highly of Zen as a person and as a player. For a more alignment-related observation, Fable's reaction to it in 241 felt genuine and not just acting.

18. Gemma

Gemma Sixth Year

I mean, that's just how she is as a person. She didn't really waffle on her Newcomb read, she was just afraid of being wrong. And she becomes more and more confident as the game progresses.

You didn't answer the part about sheeping you.

19. Ghouliani

Ghouliani Muggle

All of D2 and D3 and several pages of D1, but the lines are blurring together. I've been reading for too many hours. Pick this up after a nap.

DC, then Gemma and Fonti as my current village.

Miner didn't answer my question and first few pages of d1 are meh, so a distant second scum after Jan.

20. Gemma

Gemma Sixth Year

I thought you said you had several strong town reads?
    --- Post automerged ---
    What is a "hammer-ish" game?
    --- Post automerged ---
    It would be nice if I remembered that question I was going to ask Jan.
    --- Post automerged ---
    This game is boring.
    --- Post automerged ---
    [​IMG]