1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Deep Red by kosm - T - ATLA Quest

Discussion in 'Anime, Cartoons, and Comics' started by Nemrut, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Slipback

Slipback First Year

Does anyone here still follow the quest? Last nights session was pretty intense.

2. Majube

Majube Order Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The latest chapter was brilliant.

3. Plotless

Plotless High Inquisitor

Kosm's patreon just hit the 3 sessions a week milestone, so expect more updates from now on.

4. Slipback

Slipback First Year

If you guys thought the previous updates were salty you haven't seen anything yet.

5. Kravot

Kravot Fourth Year

I actually quite enjoyed this update. I think Kosm is masterfully managing to give player choices and write them in a way that makes a coherent story - quite unusual considering this is a quest. While I'm bummed about the character choices player decided on in this chapter, it's because I'm invested in Akane. Kosm managed to make Akane a believable and interesting character. As a story I think this chapter will be able to elevate this work even higher - letting Akane get over this mental slump and get us out of the Fire Nation.

6. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

The way that the author played on the combination of waifu loving and cowardice in the questing base was beautiful.

7. fontisian

fontisian Slug Club Member

Eh, I think it was more the players' desire to not get Akane killed than cowardice. Between the author confirming that Ozai would crush Akane in a fight and Ozai explicitly calling out the run to Iroh option, I can't really blame them. That genuine fear of Akane's death really added to the tension.

The whole thing was written beautifully.

8. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

I mean, the choice has been building for a while. Are you going to stand here and tell the world to move or was all your bluster not from principles after all? There's plenty of routes the player base could have found themselves on where they either adapt principles that let them survive and play to them or stkic to their guns even as Ozai bears down. They tried to split the difference in front of Satan and he took them to town for it.

This is great characterization for Akane! She's human, she tries and she fails due to what is a true built in character flaw (that she resents the shit out of Zuko). I give massive accolades to Kosm for it, building real tension and consequences that feel self inflicted rather than Fiat.

9. throwaawy

throwaawy Fifth Year

i’ve been reading this on and off (not following the thread/update notices just going back to it every now and then) and I’ve really been enjoying how the author uses Ozai to call out the hive mind.

it’s not nearly as dramatic as the Jan update but

struck me as another warning flag. We’ll have to see if/how it gets acknowledged.