1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Great Stand-Up Comedy

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Skeletaure, Nov 26, 2010.

1. excalibur421

excalibur421 First Year

Jon Pinette, Brian Regan, Jeff Dunham, Jim Gaffigan, and a couple others I can't think of off the top of my head.

2. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Lewis Black: I would love to have the faith to believe that the world was created in seven days... but I have thoughts... and that can really fuck up the faith thing, just ask any Catholic priest.

Jon Stewart: Sarcasm - I get it now! See at the time I thought your jokey manner was just the way you were sublimating your shame over the discomfort you feel deep in your soul after extinguishing the last smoldering embers of any of your program’s journalistic bonafides! (pwning the shit out of Joe Scarborough)

Stephen Colbert: I believe the government that governs best is the government that governs least. And by these standards, we have set up a fabulous government in Iraq.

But, listen, let's review the rules. Here's how it works: the president makes decisions. He's the Decider. The press secretary announces those decisions, and you people of the press type those decisions down. Make, announce, type. Just put 'em through a spell check and go home. Get to know your family again. Make love to your wife. Write that novel you got kicking around in your head. You know, the one about the intrepid Washington reporter with the courage to stand up to the administration. You know — fiction.

All deserve major mentions here, possibly the three greatest Americans still alive. It'll be a sad fuckin' day when Lewis Black passes.

3. Grinning Lizard

Grinning Lizard Supreme Mugwump

Bill Hicks was the only consistently brilliant one I can think of. Boyle is good for his one or two epicly offensive talkshow bits, Carr for 2 or 3 one-liners, Gervais for his old Politics and Animals shows, Hunter for his very acute observations of British life, Iglesias for the slapstick/stand-up mix, Izzard for his incredible anecdotes, Greg Davies for being the teacher you always wanted. All have good and bad shows. Hicks is probably the best all-round, and he had the best timing I have ever seen in any comedian ever.

Lord Anarchy: Bob Saget!?

4. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

Alot of great comedians already named. To add three I've not seen mentioned who I love Kenn Dodd, Tim vine and Steve Wright. One of my all time favourites is Bill Bailey (an unclear point to show I'm not blind to the comedy of longer monologues) but the short one liners of these guys who do them to perfection absolutely kills me.

EDIT: Ross Noble for sheer creativity. I can't say it's fact but I've heard he improvises pretty much the entirity of his live shows.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  5. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

6. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  7. Villanelle

Villanelle Groundskeeper

High Score:
    Mad necro, but I saw no need to create another thread. There's been a lot of great comedy in the last couple years, heck Chappelle released four specials. I figure there might be some interest among the members, and I think some people on TOMD mentioned doing stand-up themselves.

Nato Green was a random discovery on Spotify. He reminded me a little bit of Louis C.K, if C.K had been from S.F and really into talking about jews. Actually, I think C.K does talk about that a lot, ha. Speaking of C.K, I'm looking forward to see his next official release. I deliberately avoided the recent bootleg, though I did listen to the Parkland bit, which was nothing special. It was funny watching Apatow arguing with Jim Norton about it on his show, however.

Sloss came recommended from a friend. I wasn't too keen on him at first, but then I watched both parts of his Netflix series, and before I knew it, I was digging for more material. His stuff is very dark, but not in the way that Jeselnik or Tosh can be. There's a certain element of surrealism to their darkness, but Sloss jokes about stuff that's a lot more grounded to reality, and he has no boundaries as such. I like this interview with Pete Holmes, because they've very different styles, and the only thing in common with them is comedy and having been involved in adultery. Worth noting that Sloss didn't know that Pete's marriage ended after his wife cheated on him, but well, if the show Crashing is anything to go about, they had a lot of problems either way.

Neel Kolhatkar. A different take on being the child of Indian immigrants. I watched Hasan Minhaj's special, and almost teared up in some parts. I like the guy, but I don't think I find him very funny. Neel does talk about his politics, but I find that he's more focused on the funny than the preachy. At any rate, here's him talking about something else.

8. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Jimmy Carr doesn't seem to be everyone's cup of tea, but I saw him live a few months ago in Seattle, and it was the best 90 minutes of comedy I've ever seen. Led with about 10m of stuff just about Seattle itself and local things I have no idea how he came up with as a non-local, and then 60m of great stuff, and then about 20m of answering questions that he had solicited before the show. Amazing stuff.

9. Myduraz

Myduraz Headmaster DLP Supporter

Sloss has absolutely gotten way better, his Netflix series is amazing. Evoked a lot of feelings interspersed with me giggling like a child.

Burr and Carr is still good, I've enjoyed Iliza Shlesinger as well on occasion.