1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Star Wars Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by KHAAAAAAAN!!, Apr 12, 2019.

1. LittleChicago

LittleChicago Headmaster DLP Supporter

Last Star Wars I saw in theatres was Force Awakens. Aside from Han Solo dying, I can't remember a damn thing from that movie.

I have not watched a Star Wars movie since. I feel absolutely nothing in regards to the new movies; I still read the articles, for lately it's more for the commentary wars that inevitably start on every single one of them. I just feel no connection to these movies, these characters, anything. I don't even care about the LEGO sets, and for me, that's saying something.

Yet, I could go back and happily watch New Hope right this instant.

Meh. Maybe it's a generational thing.

2. DR

DR Secret Squirrel –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Not even Rogue One? Lame.

3. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Voting with my wallet for now. If I hear that the movie was incredible and not at all like its predecessor, I'll go, but at this point I don't see how they could fix this mess, even if they were actively trying. I doubt they are.

4. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

I mean.. in for a penny in for a pound?

I'll see it to the end and then make my peace with it.

5. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Booked my ticket last week for Thursday night. Currently assuming I'll enjoy it at least as much as TFA, but maybe not as much as TLJ.

6. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's not a generational thing, it's a bad movie thing.

7. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Spoiler embargoed reviews are in. Largely positive, with the negatives being that it is too much movie (they tried to do way too much). Also, apparently, it's a huge FUCK YOU to Rian, and significant quantities of time are spent undoing TLJ and answering JJs mystery boxes from Force Awakens.

There are also some images around that got snagged from a pre-screening. I won't post them, but I'm sure you can find them if you're thirsty for leaks. Saltier than Crait is literally exploding.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  8. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm gonna enjoy the memes more than anything Disney ever puts out on SW.

9. Mister Ferro

Mister Ferro High Inquisitor

10. Jaska

Jaska Third Year

Just saw it. Visually it's nice looking as all big budged films are and that's all the good I can give the movie. This movie won't please people who liked the Last Jedi, as it pisses on Rians face (rightfully so), but it won't please people who disliked the sequel trilogy (like me). It has a lot of nostalgia pandering in an attempt to please the fans, which fails and feels hollow. The story is lackluster, writing is fan fiction tier at best. So many dumb decisions made.

Everybody knows already that Palpatine is in the movie. Well he is both good (because he is hard to fuck up), and bad because they try their best to fuck him up. No explanations are given, well for anything relevant. New and stupid force powers are introduced willy nilly. At least hyperspace ramming seems to be forgotten, but it's a plot hole why they don't use it (or just equip hyperspace engines on missiles, like in the real world people would do). The trilogy lacks any overarching story and it is very clear that they had no idea what they were doing. At least the prequels didn't mess this badly, despite not being good movies.

What this movie succeeded in was bringing Star Wars fans together. Me as a person who has disliked the whole of Disney Wars and the people who misguidedly liked the Last Jedi will all hate it.

11. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  12. Peteks

Peteks Order Member

So, just saw this.

For context, I hated Last Jedi and thought it was an aberration of a movie with more faults than I would have time to list, and I acknowledge, that J.J Abrams was left in a pretty horrible situation to fix the trilogy with the last installment, considering that Force Awakens was a lukewarm rehash of New Hope and Last Jedi took the trilogy more backwards than forward. I still went to the first night screening, as I ought to do as a stupid fanboy.

No spoilers for the content, but a short and sweet review below:

Oh god.

This was probably the worst movie I've ever seen in theaters. Plot all over the place, stilted and predictable dialogue with every actor seemingly forgetting how to act, "twists" that telegraph themselves to you two weeks in advance. Moments that are meant to tug at your heartstrings, but are just cold emotionless husks, jokes that land nowhere close to funny and taking a huge dump on how things work in Star Wars.

There were 2 intentionally funny moments that worked for me, that was all for emotions other than disgusted disbelief in the movie, otherwise it was a flaming piece of shit and I only just barely was able to hate-watch through it without leaving. Worst of the new trilogy, and that is saying much, albeit maybe something could be forgiven, as the movie had to try to be 2 and 3 of a trilogy due to Last Jedi being a lose turn card for the trilogy.

Now back to enjoying the Mandalorian.

13. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It takes a special kind of skill to ruin star wars...but somehow Kathleen Kennedy and her merry band did it.

14. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I will see it with my sister when we're home for the holidays. I watched TLJ in growing disbelief, I'll enjoy this one for the crown on top the turd that is the sequel trilogy.

15. kira and light

kira and light Seventh Year

Just saw it ....

This is without a doubt the worst one in the sequel triology and I don't think anyone would disagree.

I did not like TLJ but it had some pretty great moments in an otherwise meh movie and you could tell Johnson was atleast trying.

This was just dull from start to finish not one memorable scene, stupid plotholes, retcons, no explanations etc. trying to reverse the few good choices TLJ made.

I went in with low expectations but i am still dissapointed this was the most soulless, corporate checklist chechking movie I have seen in a long time.

One can really tell that nothing in this trilogy was planned in the slightest and each movie feels completely disjointed from the last one.

Atleast they are over now and maybe we can have some good Star Wars movies in the future.

16. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

I don't hate the movie as some here do but even so I still think it was average at best and while it had some nice scenes it overall felt more like the movie version of a fanfiction than anything else (sadly not a great one like the Son of Suns trilogy). It is also pretty clear that Abrams hates episode eight because I have seldom seen a movie ignoring its direct prequel as much as this one did and the trilogy and this movie suffers for it. I had expected that somebody at Disney would keep an eye towards to overall plot/cohesion of the story but it seem pretty clear to me that the directors, or at the very least Abrams, had full control over the script and that is simply a bad idea.

17. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I thought the guy who did Batman v Superman was the writer for this? (with JJ)

Also, the only thing Rian Johnson's movie should be commended for is almost single-handedly destroying Star Wars.

18. Peteks

Peteks Order Member

Nah, JJ, RJ and Kathleen Kennedy did a nice triple-tag-team destruction. Gotta give credit for the whole trio for a job well done.

19. Hymnsicality

Hymnsicality Seventh Year

The star destroyer light speed sequence was pretty neat.

20. kira and light

kira and light Seventh Year

You know the prequels also exist ...

Some of you people are killing me acting as if Disney was the first one shitting all over Star Wars there are seriously people out their thinking the prequels are somehow amazing now.

By the way the EU is also fanfiction tier trash it has some cool ideas and would still be better than the sequels but overall it's still awful.