1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Star Wars Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by KHAAAAAAAN!!, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Yeah, I saw them not long after seeing the special editions in theater. They were available at the video rental store and we rented them.

2. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Am I remembering things wrong or did the whole film take place over 16 hours in-story time?

3. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, that was one of the things that really threw me. Apparently FTL is now instantaneous? And compressing the story down like that really made no sense to me. Clearly it was an attempt to add tension, but it failed miserably on that score.

4. ScottPress

High Score:
    Not unlike TLJ.

5. Agent

Agent High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Fuck this was just sheer stupidity. Yeah, we know he's in it but at least put some effort into it. This is literally a case of "Telling instead of Showing".

My own two cents, is anyone a bit annoyed as this being advertised as "The end of the Skywalker Saga"? Despite it being a sequel to the OT, I've always thought of the OT and PT standing separate to the ST. It seems like a case of the studio realising that reception for TLJ was shit and wanted to give the assurance that from now on (After the saga is finished) that it will be different (And presumably better).

6. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

That's totally what it was.

Really though, I'm kinda baffled how anyone at Disney thought the sequel trilogy was at all part of any alleged "Skywalker Saga". It's entirely separate on pretty much every level, despite Abrams' best efforts, and it really baffles me why they kept banging on about that in the marketing.

7. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It was to make sure the old fans turned out to see the conclusion of the story, whilst they used the conclusion of the story to build a new fan base who they'll aim the next set of films at.

8. Mister Ferro

Mister Ferro High Inquisitor

The Trades are now saying under $180 million for the opening weekend. They've been wrong the whole time so we are looking at a very possible opening at $175 million.

And there it is:
    upload_2019-12-22_10-42-29.png

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
  9. ScottPress

High Score:
    45 mil behind TLJ. Now to see what the drop will be next weekend, that'll give an idea if it'll have legs to make up for the opening.

10. Agayek

Kek. The crazy bastards did it. They killed Star Wars. Three years ago I didn't think that was possible.

11. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Usually holiday releases have stronger legs than movies released at most other times of the year, since people don't feel nearly as much drive to go on the opening weekend when they've got time off work/school. At the same time, it's quite possible that Rise of Skywalker's largely mixed to negative reviews and the opening numbers being driven by die-hard Star Wars fans adds up to some very weak legs.

12. Agayek

I mean, The Last Jedi was also a holiday release, released only a few days, relative to Christmas, earlier than Rise of Skywalker.

And in fairness, The Last Jedi had a bit of leg to it. If you check out here, there's some charts comparing the box office take over time, and TLJ had legs about on par with Rogue One (that is to say, it plateaued around 30 days post-release, with TFA, another Christmas release, plateauing around 60 days). Remains to be seen where ROS will fall on that scale, but somewhere in the 30-60 day range seems reasonable to me.

13. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    The timeline sounds right, the big question is going to be the multiplier. A multiplier on par with TLJ has it barely cracking the billion dollar mark, and given the amount of negative buzz and some other really bad signs for the movie's future like flopping in China it's definitely looking like it's on track to turn a profit (unless the rumors about an incredibly inflated budget are true), but perform "below expectations."

14. R. E. Lee

R. E. Lee Groundskeeper

Or unlike JJ Abram's Star Trek movies.

15. Agayek

Welp, the numbers are in, and it's not looking great for ROS. Official opening weekend box office is 175m in US and Canada, with another 198m internationally. It fits into the chart like so:

Episode VI opening weekend: $23,019,618 (Corrected for inflation to 2005: $45,137,865.42)

Epsiode I opening weekend: $64,810,970 (Corrected for inflation to 2005: $75,975,885.00)
    Episode II opening weekend: $80,027,814 (Corrected for inflation to 2005: $93,814,118.09)
    Episode III opening weekend: $108,435,841

Episode VII opening weekend: $247,966,675 (Corrected for inflation to 2005: $204,322,439.43)
    Episode VIII opening weekend: $220,009,584 (Corrected for inflation to 2005: $175,293,210.49)
    Episode IX opening weekend: $175,000,000 (Corrected for inflation to 2005: $133,258,491.18)

So about a $45m absolute drop, and a 24% drop in inflation-adjusted take.

It's kinda spectacular how it's dropped. Now to wait to see what kind of legs its got.

16. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Honestly, if they release a Directors Cut that's 4 hours long maybe that'd be better.

17. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

Well, I just came back from seeing it with a friend. While there was a wealth of pacing, inconsistency, plot development issues, and frankly abysmal choreography(!), overall leading to a rather lackluster film, at least I had a somewhat enjoyable time riffing on the movie and explaining some things with my friend during the walk home.

18. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

I hated the look of the sith planet, the idea of the with planet and the way the whole element was handled. Worst part of the movie. And it just didn’t feel like Star Wars anymore.

19. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I should just release your running commentary. That was surely way more entertaining than the movie would be.

...not that I'd know. lol.

20. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

I basically live complained to @Gengar about every scene that I found ridiculous, lol. I needed somewhere to vent.