1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

"A Song of Ice and Fire" stories

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by purple, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Longsword

Longsword Banned

Just found the author SaintEpithet on Ao3. I don't know if his stories have been recommended before but they definitely deserve attention:

A trilogy called Uncharted Horizons.
    https://archiveofourown.org/series/1112736

The author has already charted out
    the plot.

An anthology of stand alone horror/mystery stories inspired by works of Lovecraft.

https://archiveofourown.org/series/1374721

2. TheAnimaniacDude

TheAnimaniacDude Second Year

Ground control to Major Jon, your circuit's dead, there's something wrong. Can you hear me, Major Jon? Can you hear me, Major Jon? Can you hear me...

(SOON.)

Man, I hate this automerge thing, it ruins the aesthetics of my shitposting.

Ground control to Major Jon, Ground Control to Major Jon, take your protein pills and put your helmet on. Ground Control to Major Jon, commencing countdown, engines on. Check ignition, and may the Drowned God's love be with you...

(New chapter posted.)

3. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

Stoked af for the Ironborn arc and all the eldritch shit the Drowned God has in store. Hoping to see him meet Damphair or Euron.

As for a story I've been reading:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13296045/1/Maester-Wolf

The story has all the trappings of a Stark Fix-it fic, but I've enjoyed reading it so far. Jon is able to convince his father to let him go to the Citadel and study to become a maester where he studies warfare, engineering, healing and botany (I think). Like Obern Martell he doesn't finish making his chain and eventually goes back in just in time for the War of the Five Kings. Basically the author is taking historical feats of warfare from our world and having Jon and Robb employ them in Westeros such as Caesar's Seige of Alesia, Hannibal's Battle of Cannae and so on. Though, the fix it stuff looks it might be coming to an end soon because the Stark bros are starting to lose a handle on their army over some events and a disagreement on what they should do next.

Might not be the cup of tea for a lot of you, but it's a fun read so far.

4. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

When does the fix it end? I remember reading about 10 chapters in before giving up on it as a lost cause.

5. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

I’m kinda assuming because it was the last poster chapter

Lord Karstark defies Robb by taking his men to hunt the Mountain in the Crownlands for killing his son, and Cat released Jaime like in canon because she thought Robb and Jon were gonna lose the battle against the Tyrell/Lannister army. For all I know the author might have Jon come up with another fix it. Whenever he updates again we’ll know, but the path is there for some kind of downfall for Robb and his army.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  6. TheAnimaniacDude

Wow, you're picky with what fics you read, only giving a story 10 chapters to impress y-

*Wordcount is 275k over 28 chapters*

... yeah, okay, 100k is a more-than-generous point to decide whether you like something or not. Glad you like my work then, Halt. I'll try not to disappoint.

7. Quiddity

Quiddity Squib ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Wait, 10 chapters is picky? Lmao, I quit 90% of fanfics within 3-4 unless they grab me.

8. Donimo

Donimo Auror

I quit 90% on fanfics in the first paragraph. If the summary was interesting sometimes I'll skip ahead a couple chapters to see if the author learned to write.

9. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Pretty much. It doesn't take much to tell the quality of a fic. I'm only quitting a fic 100k in if something particularly egregious comes out of left field.

10. TheAnimaniacDude

Maybe I've just grown accustomed to seeing fics with chapters in the 1-3k word range - it's easy to chew through a dozen chapters of that stuff before deciding to drop it.

11. Himuradono

Himuradono Professor

I binged through this story last night. It's Stark-wank of the highest order and I would hazard a guess the author has some epic blisters on his hand after writing how awesome Jon and Robb are.
    I mean... shite, they steamrolled through the Lannisters in the Riverlands and the West so hard and bloody the guys from the Age of Heroes sent a raven from the past to chill the fuck out.

But nope, Jon and Robb would have none of it and butchered Reach army for dessert.

Then the story shat the bed and jumped the shark so hard I laughed.

Kinda crazy how Jon and Robb massacre every army that comes their way and people somehow still not flock to them like flies to a steaming wet shit.

Tywin lost whole armies to these guys and was forced to flee from battle just to save his skin and yet somehow people still fear this guy despite the fact that Jon and Robb captured so many noble hostages that it isn't even funny. Hell Jon captured the Golden Tooth, took yet even more hostages, claimed shipments of food and shot people over the walls from a catapult to highlight how serious he was... and yet Tywin still has some following.

Hmmm.

By now the Westerlands should be freaking depopulated with the losses they took, the hostages they lost and how stretched for supplies they are...

People the breadth and length of Westeros claim Jon Snow is a sorcerer, warlock and one scary mofo who regularly and consistently does the impossible and who chased the Mountain that Rides out of the field of battle...

Yet they still listen to Tywin and ally with Tywin (the guy who lost pretty much everything that could be lost to two 'green boys' and did it in such a manner the ground should split open and swallow him whole just to spare him the embarrassment)

The action and consequence chain of events in this story is spotty at best and laughable at worst.

And then the story well and truly shat the bed.

Arya is back with her family, Rickon is alive, Bran is alive, Winterfell is in the hands of the Stark. The Ironborn incursion into the North has been crushed by Robb while Jon held the southern war front.

Sansa is probably the best protected hostage in Kingslanding what with Tyrion and the Tyrells crowding her with guards just to make sure she doesn't have an 'accident' because if she dies all bets are off and Robb Stark and Jon Snow will just fucking murder them all just like they have been doing to every army sent their way.

Gold and food are being ferried to Riverlands and the North from the Westernlands.

Enemy armies are being cut down so fast and hard and on such an epic scale Westeros is running red with the blood of the enemies of House Stark.

Things are going pretty damn well for Robb.

And then good ol' Catelyn Stark goes and frees the Kingslayer cuz she's a mother worried for her daughter.

I fucking laughed when I got to this part of the story.

Obviously we needed some conflict so let's forget everything the characters did and achieved in the story so far because CANON bitches demands drama...

In other news:

Stannin is lost in the plot. No, seriously the guy just evaporated. No one know where he is.

The Dornish are still dumb as stump and about as decisive as Doran right after a nap.

12. pbluekan

pbluekan Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

This can be pretty well summed up as "Jon smert."

Jon best Maester, Jon best builder, Jon best.

Its absolutely tiring to read.

13. TheAnimaniacDude

Blegh. At least make him work for it, instead of having an off-screen glow-up. It's like trying to ride my dick without any warning - nah, bitch, I'm still flaccid, you gotta at least show me a titty. Bare minimum effort.

14. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

Paragraphs? Yeah, me too.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Dammit, Domino beat me to it

15. Halt

16. Rhys

Rhys High Inquisitor

Definitely a pretty transparent Stark-wank, though it has a couple high points mixed in. In particular:

I liked the detail of wounding Stannis' shadow with Valyrian steel giving the real Stannis the same injury (which is probably part of why he's been so absent from the plot, he could be half-dead for all we know.) Compared to how double-edged most magic in Westeros is it always seemed way too cheap and easy for its effect. Stannis also never takes shit for being a demon-summoning kinslayer, it was a pretty heinous act that all his stans love to ignore.

EDIT: Has anyone else read The King is Dead? https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/the-king-is-dead-arthas-menethil-warcraft-in-asoiaf.840089/

I don't know anything about Warhammer and I still love the shit out of the fic, it's updating pretty fast too.

17. Paradise

Paradise Paraplegic Dice DLP Supporter

18. Halt

19. Rhys

Rhys High Inquisitor

Oof, egg on my face not even noticing it was here. Great story though. For the record I like how Joff turned out a lot.

I was also not aware Warhammer and Warcraft were different things until this moment. You learn something new every day.

20. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

That's just precious.