1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Imprisoned Realm by LoveHP - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Mordac, Feb 4, 2007.

1. MrSam

MrSam Third Year

I didn't like it, it seems like all the other bad "dark" fanfiction out there, "Greater good" Dumbledore, "Bad" James Potter, "Father" Snape... it's bad.

2. tragicmat1

tragicmat1 Death Eater

I find it to be pretty good actually. A solid 4/5 in both grammar and plot.
    Honestly, if I read this back in 05/06/07 when it was first being written, I'd give it a full 5/5 with room to spare.

3. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Hmm, bits of it I rather like. Bits of it are fucking awful.

Perhaps it's just my sensitivities impeding me, but I give this a 3/5.

That said, I'll keep reading it, though... how often does this actually update?

4. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Bad James? Father Snape? What? That sounds terrible.

5. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

It's not that James is irrationally bad. It's just that he's particularly nasty to Harry for a rather specific reason.

]The Alternate Harry, who is a Death Eater, apparently killed his younger brother and blinded his sister, amongst other things.

And Snape... well...

James cheated on Lily once, and Lily went off to fuck Snape, got pregnant and kept the kid. The exact quote for that is as follows:

"Ten years is a long time! I've kept this secret for that long. James doesn't know about Jessica. He doesn't know I had one night with you. I wanted my revenge on him for having that affair."

She then goes on to say other delightful little things.

"Oh come on, Sev, like you really cared. As long as you had me, you didn't care why I had come to you, crying and miserable, even though I never felt anything for you. I came to you for support and things just happened... and it felt thrilling that I was getting back at James for hurting me!"

So yeah. It's a rather fucked up world.

6. BadManners

BadManners DA Member DLP Supporter

The word subtlety is lost on this author. I don't know how many embarrassingly open dialogues I can take. Also on the one hand I can appreciate how we didn't get Harry's story taken at face value, but it wasted a whole lot of words on the will they won't they.

Honestly, this fic would have been loads better without canon Harry and just about everything he brings to the narrative. Mirror Harry is a lot more compelling despite how edgy he is.

7. Stormey

Stormey Groundskeeper

Okay, I tried it again, and its even worse.
    2/5 for me.

8. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Okaaaay. I guess I just skipped over the scenes where the other Potter children were involved. Father!Snape is revolting.

o_O

My rating's now 2.5/5, I like the beginning too much to go any lower. This story is still notable in my opinion, but you're right that this does not belong in the library. Not gonna try and fake sticking to my guns over this, and I'm purging this from my favorites list.

Dropped the ball on this one, sorry fellas. I guess in my understanding of the world apparently good writers don't fuck up like this.

Constant Vigilance.

9. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Odran saved me from wasting my time. Thanks for the review.

10. gbbz

gbbz Professor

That this depressing shit has a 3/5 rating the same as the awesome Burgundy Blues is really depressing.

I mean, has the author really wanted to make us click the 'x' on the top right after seeing canon Harry being repeatedly raped in prison for no other reason than the following Snape sarcastic healing touch of "get over it Potter I still hate you, though you aren't even from this world!"?

I think she did...

11. Lovehp

Lovehp Squib

Oh, I'm a little sad this fic didn't make it in the library. :( But I have to be honest. When I concocted this fic, it was originally meant to be my bad!fic experiment, with a whole load of HP fic cliches and character bashings. I wanted annoying OC Potter children. I wanted to see if a bad!fic would get better responses than a well written fic back in 2005. I also had no clue what I was writing.

However, after abandoning the fic for many years I decided to come back to it and make it somewhat better. Although to the majority of you, it still is a bad fic. I rewrote chapters and added scenes. And I wanted to make a dark dystopian world that was to my liking. I found a lot of fics I read below NC-17 did not satisfy me.

The Atoners are bad. BAD idea? Maybe, but I don't regret that element, because in a world where war has damaged everyone and the Ministry are very corrupt, I doubt a lot of people would care about the injustices happening to the prisoners in Azkaban. The Atoners, being petty criminals themselves, and with the Ministry turning a blind eye, would've enjoyed their power, and had very little boundaries and anyone controlling them.

I do have my regrets. For one, it is very hard to get a beta and keep one for the fic. So yeah, I do have a lot of trouble with dialogue. Dialogue is a weakness of mine, even in RL. SPAG is also an issue. I also regret the Father!Snape plotline. I now feel it cheapens Lily and Snape's characters. How can I get myself out of that one?

And no, I did not have Harry suffer Azkaban to be at the Mercy of a hateful Snape.

Sorry you guys hate the fic. But it's still my baby, and I'm open to improvement.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  12. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Kill Lily, Snape, their daughter, and never ever mention them again.

13. Lovehp

Lovehp Squib

HA! That's too simple, sorry.

14. Ferdiad

Ferdiad Unspeakable

You could post it in the WBA if you're having trouble finding a beta

15. Lovehp

Lovehp Squib

Thanks for letting me know.

At the moment I have found a beta who has done 2 chapters so far, and I'll see how far they will go. I just want to see this fic to completion. It will be a decade since I started, next year. o_O You can pretty much see how my writing style has changed, haha.

WBA will be plan B.

16. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Regardless, welcome to DLP. I enjoyed his fic back in the day.

17. Xion

Xion Robot Overlord Admin

Imprisoned Realm has been updated with a new chapter.

Story Stats
    Chapters: 55
    Words: 314,148
    Updated: 2020-08-06 00:58:00 UTC
    Published: 2005-12-17 05:01:11 UTC
    Previously updated: about 2 years ago
    New Summary:
    A trap during the Horcrux hunt sends Harry into a dimension where war has raged for 28 years. Harry must not only protect himself from Voldemort, but also from a rising new Dark Lord, the evil Ministry, a war-hardened Dumbledore... and himself. Will he find his way back home to finish his own war?

Brought to you by Scryer story thread updates.