1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Upcoming Movies in 2020

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Celestin, Jul 7, 2019.

1. BeastBoy

BeastBoy Seventh Year

Isn't this a good thing? I'd rather have a different take on things. If I wanna watch the original I'll watch the original. The Lion King remake was trying to do the same thing but it did it worse.

Also, I feel like this() is the better WW84 trailer, if only for the New Order song. Also when the truck flips and she rises up behind it--that's badass

2. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    @BeastBoy Lion King was the only Disney remake I haven’t liked so far...

3. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You liked Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin? I couldn't stop cringing at the latter, despite how perfectly Aladdin and Jasmine were cast.

4. BeastBoy

BeastBoy Seventh Year

I think those movies vary in quality (imo Aladdin is probably the best of the remakes; never saw Cinderella) but they all essentially redo the animated versions, perhaps adding a new song or two and some extra scenes (like fleshing out Jasmine in Aladdin). I just never felt they justified their existence. Disney just wanted to chase a billion dollars with these movies rather than getting a hundred million or so by re-releasing the animated originals.

Seems like Mulan isn't going for a carbon copy like the others and that's fine by me. Don't need to hear those songs (again, just watch the original) and don't need to see a weird CGI dragon. Also, Gong Li is playing an evil witch. That's awesome

5. Arthellion

High Score:
    I enjoyed the live action remakes and appreciated the way they stayed true to the original while adding a bit more to the story. @BeastBoy

As for cringe, the OG movies were cringe anyway for adults if you don’t put aside your adulthood.

Lion King fell flat for me bc of cgi, not the actual film.

like Nothing wrong with doing something new, but I personally don’t care to watch a Mulan without the classic songs and mushu. Plus the whole actresses/Disney sellout to China is concerning

6. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Say what you want about B&B, but Aladdin was great, and the Jungle Book was incredible and went super under the radar.

7. Arthellion

High Score:
    I enjoyed B&B more than Aladdin (though I think part of that was Will Smith had the tough task of measuring up to Robin Williams) but thought both were great fun moments from Childhood.

Junglebook was top notch.

8. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Mulan was the first one of the remakes that I was particularly interested in, partly because I've not actually seen the original, and partly because for better or worse, it sounded like they were trying to do something a bit different with it. However, while I understand Disney wanting/needing to recoup the money they've already spent on it, and why they might not want to rely on cinemas at the moment, I'm firmly in the camp that £30 on top of the subscription is taking the piss - it's nearly double what I pay for my monthly cinema pass.

I'm also in the camp that cinemas are great, and current circumstances aside I'd be very sad to see them die out in favour of streaming.

9. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I watched the live action clip of Be Prepared on YT and it tells me everything I need to know about the remakes.

10. BeastBoy

BeastBoy Seventh Year

C'mon man, if I can watch Apocalypto despite Mel Gibson being Mel Gibson you can watch a movie with a Nationalist actor ;)

11. Arthellion

High Score:
    Never seen it lol

but I understand your point.

12. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Disney Remakes/Retellings from great to garbage:

1. Jungle Book - fantastic movie, great songs, and probably better than OG Jungle Book
    2. Maleficent (Sleeping Beauty) - excellent retelling albeit a needless and garbage sequel
    3. Christopher Robin (Pooh) - I'm not crying. You're crying. Fuck you.
    4. Alice in Wonderland/Looking Glass - fun, but carried hard by Johnny Depp's wackadoodle Hatter
    5. Pete's Dragon - a perfectly okay film
    6. Beauty and the Beast - overall good, but with a lot of cringe (SO. MUCH. AUTO-TUNE.)
    7. Aladdin - overall cringe (I'm looking at you Jafar), but with a lot of good (Will Smith was no Williams, but his genie was actually pretty entertaining)
    8. Cinderella - not even Lily James being charming as fuck could redeem the snoozefest that is Cinderella
    9. Dumbo - Nope.
    10. Lion King - Nope. Nope. Nope. It boggles my mind how proud Favreau is of this tragedy.

If Mulan can hit somewhere above Aladdin levels of quality, that's a success.

13. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    What drugs are you on @KHAAAAAAAN!!
    About the only things I agree with you is the placement of Jungle Book and Lion King.

Aladdin definitely needs to be higher up there. Yes, Jafar and Jasmin were badly handled, but Smith as Genie more than made up for it, and Aladdin was great and the songs all (bar one) worked.

Beauty and the Beast should be lower down that scale, and definitely lower than Aladdin.

Maleficent was a disgusting abomination that had nothing to do with Sleeping Beauty.

14. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    The decrease in quality is not uniform as I drop them from one numerical rank to the next. There is a hard dip between 1 and 2 & 7 and 8, whereas 2 - 7 dips are smaller.

I enjoyed the fuck out of Maleficent. *shrug*

I'd put Aladdin higher if the musical numbers hadn't been so meh. They had the difficult task of reimagining what is likely the best soundtrack in the Disney showcase barring Hercules, and I don't think they were really up to it. Also, Aladdin is my favorite animated film bar none, and I came out of the remake with just an overall feeling of disappointment that they didn't do it justice.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
  15. Arthellion

High Score:
    Oh lord....thinking of the Hercules remake that is inevitably coming.

16. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    If the music is anything less than perfection there will be mass rioting outside of Disney World. And by mass rioting I mean me, standing outside the gates, blasting I Can Go the Distance, and giving everyone the finger.

17. Viewtiful

Viewtiful Groundskeeper

I liked Maleficent a lot more than Sleeping Beauty.

18. BeastBoy

BeastBoy Seventh Year

@KHAAAAAAAN!! I agree with your points on Jungle Book an Aladdin specifically, but can't go with you with the Alice movies when the futterwacken scene exists. I watch that scene and I wanna walk into the sea.

19. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    I mean, yeah. It's pure LSD-trip nightmare-fuel. Though as Lewis Caroll will affirm, that is largely the point of Wonderland.

I thought they were both trippy and ridiculous, which is exactly what they needed to be.

20. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    I will join you.