1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel Cinematic Universe General Thread

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Andrela, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Disney have announced a few new pieces.

10 TV series in the next decade apparently, though no details on whether that incudes one's already announced, or if its properly new ones.

Christian Bale is going to be the main villain in the next Thor.

The Black Panther sequel is not recasting Black Panther or using CGI, instead it'll explore side characters. Not sure how successful an approach this will be, as much as its a very respectful one in regards to Boseman.

Captain Marvel 2 is going to be treated up by Nia DaCosta, quite inexperienced for such a big project so it's an interesting choice.

And finally there is going to be yet another attempt at a Fantastic Four film. This time headed up by Jon Watts, who has been doing Spiderman for them. I'm dubious that there's any way to make Fantastic Four successful to be honest.

2. Acquiescing Avian

Acquiescing Avian Second Year

[​IMG]

3. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I’m thinking they’ll just use Cox as Peters lawyer. More of a side character than anything super official.

4. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

I think the closest they got was the first one with Michael Chiklis as Ben Grimm, who always seemed to me to be the true main character.

5. aAlouda

aAlouda High Inquisitor

I personally just want a good potrayal of Doctor Doom for once. I would even prefer it if they introduced him independently of the Fantastic Four. The MCU really lacks some good recurring villains at the moment.

6. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

The trailer for Loki. Looks like the plot involves the Time Variance Authority (basically Marvel version of Time Police)

7. Raiko

Raiko Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

I understand why they are doing this, but I really wish they would recast. There are still Black Panther stories to tell and there are respectful ways to acknowledge Boseman's passing while still moving forward. I also don't really care for the Black Panther side characters that much.

8. Mordecai

High Score:
    That's pretty much my feelings on it Raiko. They've already established that the Black Panther is an inherited position - so either make boring genius girl the new Black Panther or say that he died somehow and the tribes have elected a new royal family, so there's a new heir who can be the Black Panther. Then just use the Black Panther stories, very slightly modified to fit the new overarching story.

9. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I could see a storyline with Shuri becoming the new Black Panther but struggling to cope with the burden it places on her to live up to her brother's legacy. There could be room for some good character development in there, making her a bit more humble while fighting to retain her place as the legitimate heir to the throne.

I'm doubtful they'd pull it off well though so maybe it's best if it ends up with a different character. I don't know enough about the Black Panther comics to say who that should be though.

10. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

That's pretty much the only thing I want from MCU at the moment. A good portray of Doctor Doom. He's one of the biggest supervillains in the history of the superheroes, but the films never managed to actually present it on the screen. Can't say I'm convinced that Watts is a good choice, but in the past few years Marvel has no mistakes when it comes to managing their films.

The other decision I'm unsure about is not recasting Black Panther. While I get why they don't want to do that, removing T'Challa and having someone else take his place as the main character will be even harder than finding a new actor to play him.

11. Mordecai

High Score:
    Yeah that sort of plot could work. Maybe giving her a bit more air time will let her develop some character beyond "annoying genius". And there's definitely some interesting plot to work with in the legitimate heir thing, and a good strong feminist plot which they'd no doubt enjoy doing.

12. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

The actress who played genius girl apparently came out strong anti vaxer. So maybe recast her.

13. Mordecai

High Score:
    My memory of it is thats not quite accurate. She expressed concerns about the covid vaccine specifically, due to how quickly its been developed. I think conflating that with being antivax is unhelpful. I don't agree with her concerns, and I think her voicing them from a popular pulpit is dangerous - but not the same sort of terrible thing as being an actual antivaxer is.

14. Raiko

Raiko Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Yeah, I should have been more specific in that I believe there are more T'Challa stories to tell, not specifically Black Panther.

If Tom Holland died, I don't think they would just say Peter Parker is now dead, and we are going to follow Miles now.

15. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Time Cop Loki is a super weird take but fuck am I here for it.

16. Mordecai

High Score:
    Really? I'm not sure I am...making Loki isn't a good guy was always going to be a stretch but going the cop type character angle I'm concerned they're going to try and make him a proper good guy rather than keeping him as an amusing anti hero with lots of emphasis on anti.

17. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Loki shouldn't be a good guy, that's boring. He was fun because he started out as a dickhead, went full villain, and after a slight change of heart he remained a dickhead. If they turn him into a good guy, he will be another one of MCU's Snarky Witty Good Guys Who Aren't Tony Stark. The best new character to join the MCU in the last few years of the Infinity Saga was Vulture.

18. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I definitely don't think he'll be a 'good' guy. But who knows.

19. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

That's almost exactly what happened in the comics. The only thing they'd have to do is either have his death off screen or have someone dressed in a spidey suit die in some heroic way. *poof* Introduce Miles' origin movie.

Hypothetically, with Tom H. dead, I don't think people would mind at all having him replaced with a new character, who is arguably more popular these days, rather than a new actor.

20. Mordecai

High Score:
    I'd definitely dispute this. Maybe more popular with comic or cartoon fans, but that accounts for a distinct minority of the film fans. Sure, Miles got an outing in the multiverse film, but that's the only way most people are familiar with the character.