1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Upcoming Movies in 2021

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Celestin, Aug 22, 2020.

1. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    What in the trailer confirms detective work to you? I saw Batman beat up a guy and the back of the batmobile powering up.

2. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Riddler confirmation is really the most exciting part of that trailer.

3. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Batman visiting a crime scene where Riddler left his clues for him. It's a standard setup for any detective film where they try to catch a serial killer and I'm assuming it's the case there too.

4. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Damn that Batman trailer looks legit.

5. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I had to take two goes at the Batman trailer; whether it was my phone or the version I watched the first time, I could barely make out what was going on. Second time round, it was a lot clearer, and it does look pretty impressive - I really like his suit in this one.

6. Celestin

Apparently the upcoming Gotham Central TV show for HBO is planned as prequel to the movie. The movie is Year Two while the show will be Year One from the perspective of the police department. Neither Robert Pattinson nor Jeffrey Wright are confirmed to appear, but while having Bruce or Batman appear in person is unnecessary, Gordon definitely should be included. There is suppose to be a central character, but I would prefer it to be more of the ensemble cast like the comics was.

7. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Didn't Gotham already do that? :p

But yeah, I'd be fine if they do it that way. Then maybe we could finally get a proper Bat-Family going/developed.

8. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If The Batman actually ends up being something like a mystery thriller, that would be cool and new for live-action Batman. Not really hyped though. I'll wait for the movie.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
  9. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Same here - Here's the glorious 4K version. Looks even better.

Yesterday was a mother of a day for DC fans. In a lot of good ways, for once.

10. Arthellion

High Score:
    Colin Farrell as Penguin

upload_2020-9-17_12-7-56.png

11. Arthellion

High Score:
    So Chris Pine is potentially starring in a Dungeons & Dragons Movie: https://variety.com/2020/film/news/chris-pine-dungeons-and-dragons-movie-1234853224/

A movie like that is...interesting to say the least. What makes D&D special is the system and the stories...though the lore is beautiful as well. So...if you're going to start a D&D movie verse...do you rely on the lore of DnD? Do you create totally new characters?

Personally...I think they should tap some of the old first players and start the film as a sort of introduction. Have it be a young Mordenkainen growing as an adventurer.

Slowly build the lore.

12. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

If I don't see Jeremy Irons as Profeon, chewing the scenery, I'm calling bullshit on this movie.

13. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Part of me wants them to explore some of the Faerun lore, but another part of me wants them to go all-in on game mechanics, make it some kind of weird Ready Player-One futuristic full-dive DnD experience that takes advantage of top-shelf graphics but does justice to the system itself (and somehow scrapes a good movie out of it) and shows some of the more fun (and PG) player interactions.

14. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    A serious Dungeons and Dragons movie? That's the Ridleyest thing I ever heard of.

15. Arthellion

High Score:
    They could also go crazy. Do a campaign. Then turn it into a movie. With a small thing on the bottom of the screen showing the dice rolls

The more I think about it, I think they should do it in a style similar to princess bride .

16. Celestin

I was going to say they should do it like D&D series from 80-ties since this kind of adventures are really popular right now, but I like your take a lot more. Have a normal campaign with people interacting both as players and their characters. Start as a comedy with a lot of interruptions, but as the film progresses the DM manages to make it more serious and epic. If done right by the end of it the players and the viewers should be totally immersed in the epic finale with both returning to the real world when the adventure ends.

17. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think the idea of showing the DnD game alongside the actual film would work better for an HBO style series. Otherwise you're giving up a substantial amount of your ~3 hour time limit to stuff that isn't actually relevant to the plot.

In theory, it should be quite easy to do a DnD film - choose any random adventure and get a screenwriter to turn it into a script, and it should be fine. The problem comes from needing to make it a DnD film rather than generic fantasy, but also without delving too deep into the lore so that non DnD fans aren't put off. A light touch on the lore, just enough to show that there's lots going on, and a tasteful engagement with various stereotypes, would be enough to make it clear that its DnD, but keep it accessible.

18. Arthellion

High Score:
    Eh, as I said, I think the Princess Bride shows it can be done in movie format quite well...

Though now I want an HBO style series of a DnD group that discovers their game is slowly bleeding over into our world.

Also, there are some great Adventure modules. Curse of Strahd could be a very fun film. Horde of the Dragon Queen is a bit meh as a game, but could work quite well as a movie imo.

19. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Having the characters ignore the 4th wall and speak to the audience, or even do comments out of character, could work as a comedic device. My thinking was if you're going to step beyond that and actually shooting sequences round the gaming table you're losing valuable screen time for the plot.

20. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Nah, just have two concurrent plots - one in the game world, one in the real world - and have them meld together for the finale. Player overcome personal issues around the table/between each other that leads to victory in the game. It'd have to be a bit Ant Man in humour though.