1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pokémon Snap

Discussion in 'Pokémon' started by Seratin, Jun 17, 2020.

1. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's finally getting a remake. Or... A sequel? Anyway it's new and it looks beautiful.

new-pokemon-snap-in-development-switch.jpg

Obviously this won't be to everyone's taste but for anyone that got the Mankey to kick the Magikarp on N64, this is gonna be a blast from the past.

2. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Not a remake or a sequel. Think I heard it best described as a "Re-imagining."

I'm hyped. I spent weeks getting the mathematically highest score in Pokemon Snap so I could send it in and try to win a prize at Blockbuster. That damn final level with invisible Mew. I remember replaying that so many times.

I managed to get the highest possible score, but so did many others. I speculate it was a random draw after that, but I'm unsure.

3. Seratin

High Score:
    There were so many gems in that game, I remember spending hours trying to find secret strategies like chucking things into a Vileplume's... Hole? That sounds wrong. Regardless.

I'm most looking forward to all the things then can do with so many new Pokémon. I fully expect to be able to wake up a Slaking that ends up rampaging and unlocking cool things.

4. Cjonbloodletter

Cjonbloodletter Professor

il_340x270.1067888973_6t0d.jpg

5. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

Yesss.

And it's not developed by Game Freak, which means it might actually be ambitious and good!

6. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I got it for Christmas with that awful looking pokemon n64. Beat it that morning. One of my most cherished Christmas memories.

7. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog Death Eater

Oh you can bet I'm full of hype.

8. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    A little bit of sex wee came out

9. Seratin

High Score:
    Remember getting Zapdos to turn the power back on and getting the massive Pinsir shadow on the cave wall?

These flashbacks are hitting hard.

10. Gengar

High Score:
    I think some of my fav pics were getting those herd of Charmander juuuust right.

And snapping Pikachu getting killed, obviously.

11. Viewtiful

Viewtiful Groundskeeper

My most vivid memory of Snap was getting a shot of Articuno - you had to play the Pokeflute to make a bunch of Jynx dance around its egg for to hatch. That's always stuck with me way more than ever actually catching the Pokemon in the main-line games.

I'm not sure how to feel about it being on-rails again. I know that's how the original was, and it's obviously much easier for them to craft cool set-pieces this way, but the idea of a more open, exploration-focused Pokemon photography game seems incredible.

12. Seratin

High Score:
    I like the on rails aspect as it adds tons of replay value as you try new strategies to get the perfect shot.

13. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I always wanted to play Snap, but we never had a 64, and none of my friends did either. I remember a multi-page spread in an old console gaming mag (I'd say Playstation one, but I don't know why they'd have a 64 game), which went into detail on loads of the little tips and tricks to get higher scores - something on making Magikarp get beaten up?

Luckily, I'm now an adult, and can blow all my money on Japanese cartoons. And I already have a switch (that I definitely did not buy for Shield). Really looking forward to finally being my inner David Attenborough.

14. Gengar

High Score:
    Snap is almost like a metroidvania. You run the levels one time, but you go back later when you get new 'powers' and either open up new aspects to the level, or get new unique opportunities to snap pokemon, or make pokemon come out of hiding etc.

15. Zerg_Lurker

Zerg_Lurker Headmaster DLP Supporter

Trailer out and release date announced! Coming April 30th!

16. Heleor

I stand by my "Yesss" statements. To temper expectations, they didn't show off very many zones and the original Pokemon Snap was only a 90 minute game to 100%. This one has over 200 pokemon (so 3 times the content of the first one), but still might be relatively small.

17. Gengar

High Score:

Looks like almost everything I wanted in a sequel.

It's a shame in-field evolutions seem to not be a thing, and instead of more tools and ways to interact with the levels, they just increased the scope of the game. I think my ideal would have been to have half a dozen or so tools and have to select a loadout to take with you on each level, but I'm pretty satisfied with what I'm seeing so far.

I'll be getting this.

Oh, and to make you guys feel as old as I do. The first came out 22 years ago. TWENTY TWO. ugh

18. Heleor

Overall reviews are hovering at an 8/10 mark, so for a niche game that seems amazing!

19. Heleor

Just finished the story (after ~10 hours of gameplay). If you liked the original, you'll love this one. They've basically just taken all the concepts and expanded them. And then expanded *that*.

Unlike the original, you cannot 100% this in under an hour, and it's actual gameplay, not cutscene or level padding or anything.

Content spoilers:
    5 and a half islands, day/night stage for each one, with an extra "bonus" stage. So the sand island has sand day, sand night, and volcano, for example. Each stage also gets 2-4 "research levels" which basically reshuffles the pokemon and their behaviours. So you'll see different things in research level 1 and 2, even if the paths are the same. Most levels also have alternate paths -- either discoverable (hit the right obstacles, then scan the right thing, etc) or on certain paths (bidoof start building a dam in research level 1, in research level 3 they finish and you can ride on it).

(The half is the final island which doesn't have a night version or a bonus stage.)

Unlike the original, each pokemon has 4 different levels you can photo. Level 1 is typically neutral, level 2 is them eating or similar, up until level 4 which require some really elaborate environment tweaks. And then each level is rated separately on a 5000 point scale.

The expanded boss fights are great. They're inspired by the mew fight with multiple stages, and are unique enough that they all feel different. Final boss is great as well.

I enjoyed the underused pokemon being used in this one. The only minor nit I have is if you have multiple star shots of a pokemon in one level run, you can only keep one of them. That's the only part that feels like padding slightly, but it's technically true to the original.

10/10 for fans of the original. If you didn't like the original, you won't like this one. If you didn't play the original, might be worth giving a chance.

Now can we get Bandai Namco to do *all* pokemon games please?

20. Gengar

High Score:
    Lol, if only. I've only just unlocked the night stage on the first map. Between this and Returnal though, I'm happy I'll be toying with this for a while.