1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Arcanist: Unspeakable Mysteries by Mr.Omega573 - M

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by Skeletaure, Dec 30, 2019.

1. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Title: The Arcanist: Unspeakable Mysteries
    Author: Mr.Omega573
    Rating: M
    Genre: Adventure/Fantasy
    Library Category: The Alternatives
    Pairings: Unknown
    Summary: The largest threat to the Statute of Secrecy was not the wizards being found, it was the beings that went bump in the night that would drive you mad at a glance, the demons, the things that you can never unknow. So the Ministry made it all Unspeakable. Magic is Might. WBWL, Mentor!Albus, OP!Harry, Master of Death, Gods, Demons, Real Magic, & The TWT in a way you have never seen.
    Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13438181/1/The-Arcanist-Unspeakable-Mysteries

Something worth looking at, though I'm not a fan myself. For me the pacing is far too rushed and the structure is a mess (basically there is none). The worldbuilding is okay but I'm not really sure that the vast number of additions actually add anything.

2. A Lightning

A Lightning Seventh Year

I enjoyed this a little. It hit a lot of personal guilty pleasures for me, including mentor-Dumbledore, crazy elemental magic, and I'm ashamed to admit, OP Harry.

The writing is subpar with stilted dialogue and cliche cardboard cutout characters. The protagonist "Hadrian" is no exception to this. I suspect that the progression in this story will be bigger and badder demons without much character development to speak of. It'd be nice if I'm wrong though.

The world building and magic in this is cool, but there's nothing particularly groundbreaking. Even the idea of so-called "unspeakable magic" in Harry Potter is something I swear I've read before.

2/5, not a complete waste of time. Thanks for sharing.

3. MightlessPhilosopher

MightlessPhilosopher Banned

Title: The Arcanist: Unspeakable Mysteries
    Author: Mr.Omega573
    Rating: M
    Genre: Adventure/Fantasy
    Library Category:
    Pairings:
    Summary: The largest threat to the Statute of Secrecy was not the wizards being found, it was the beings that went bump in the night that would drive you mad at a glance, the demons, the things that you can never unknow. So the Ministry made it all Unspeakable. Magic is Might. WBWL, Mentor!Albus, Master of Death, Gods, Demons, & the TWT in a way you have never seen. Alterate Universe.
    Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13438181/1/The-Arcanist-Unspeakable-Mysteries

The story begins with the typical WBWL bullcrap with James ignoring Harry who is in fact a prodigy. He gets raised by a house-elf, who Harry will consider his real mother. House-elves are descendant of elves who were cursed and lost their powers for reasons that will be explained in the AU. The first part of the story with Hogwarts and John Potter isn't very interesting and it's better to simply ignore it.

The story truly begins when the Horcrux of Tom Riddle (still a schoolboy mentally) foolishly summons a Demon Lord from hell on Earth, destroying the barrier that protects earth from the Unspeakable monsters of other realms.

Once the story begins to kick in, we get to see Mentor!Dumbledore (who is more OP than Harry because of the deathstick and who is going to become master of death), battles of epic proportions with higher beings such as demon lords from hell, true Dragons (much strongers and smarter than the dragons in the HPverse), deities, brain-eating alien species, magical civilizations of other species such as dwarves, elves...

The battles are the best part of the fiction, along with the interesting depictions of esoteric magic the author comes up with.

I rate the story 4/5

4. MuggsieToll

MuggsieToll Seventh Year

That first chapter is almost completely unreadable.

1/5.

5. MightlessPhilosopher

I did say to ignore the WBWL crap and the beginning of the story. (Which I had trouble reading too honestly... It gets much better afterwards) Could you please look to later chapters and give it a chance?

Also, do not forget to vote just right above my post, that's where people are supposed to give the rating, else the average grade won't be seen by other people.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  6. Fudoutoku

Fudoutoku Fourth Year DLP Supporter

It's a shit anime in fanfic form is my take on it after reading it a few months back.

That being said, if some of the scenes, like the trip into the Egyptian afterlife were to ever be animated by a competent team, that shit would be a 10/10 - story wise it's ass though.

7. MightlessPhilosopher

Those scenes are what I'm talking about.

There is also depiction of architecture from other species... That I found very impressive since I love architecture. I'm not vegetarian don't kill me.
    The temple of mind-flayers was very impressive to read about, giving me lovecraftian feels.
    There is also a scene with a litteral wall of live brains who are killed by Dumbledore to release them from that terrible fate

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  8. RandyRanderson

RandyRanderson Fourth Year

I think this was already reviewed before here: https://forums.darklordpotter.net/t...ysteries-by-mr-omega573-m.39072/#post-1123749. Granted, there are only two reviews so it was probably worth looking at this again.

That said, it's pure trash. The very rare interesting concept of note does not redeem it to a library worthy story, especially when the concepts are immediately ruined by the author's choices. 1.5/5 rounded down.

9. ZombieHunter

ZombieHunter DA Member

I'm reading it as more of a DnD campaign than as an HP fanfic. On that basis it is enjoyable.

10. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I'll be merging this with its other thread in a bit. Probably it'll stay in the Trash Bin but I'm going to go look at it myself first.

11. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Thoughts as we go.

...the first chapter is titled "Gorzoth the Frightful" eh? /sigh

What the hell is this first paragraph?
    From an early age Harry's parents had ignored him in favor of their social duties as Lord and Lady Potter. Then later in favor of his younger twin, John Potter, and his other siblings. The Boy-Who-Lived. It had been the Minister of Magic herself who had declared it so. A load of crock. But sadly for Hadrian, it seemed, everyone believed it to be true. That John Potter had killed the Darklord.

Okay this is pretty bad that I'm only two paragraphs in and already skimming, but Taure is the one who recommended it before so I am tempted to at least get to the part that he (and you in this thread) found engaging enough to be maybe worth my time.

Hadrian snuck away during a Hogsmeade weekend to... use 'true lightning' to fight some kind of ancient King's corpse (from Asgard?) that had a sword that turned into a metal wand? What? I couldn't read this scene without going cross-eyed but I think that happened? Oh. It was Thor's, of course. The sword/wand that Thor had before getting his hammer. Of course.

This chapter reads really fucking weird. From young, abused child to Hogsmeade weekend turning into a drugged out Norse battle scene to Daphne being Regulus's kid to Mage Sight and Occlumancer to the Heir of Slytherin to fighting motherfucking interdimensional planar creatures speaking in tongues?

"Welcome great Gorzoth for the first time in several thousand years back to earth." Tom never finished his sentence, as the dementors behind him swooped in and forced Tom to his knees.
    "N-No. Y-You can't I am yo-yoouuurr summoner! Stop! Noooo! AaaAggh"

Seriously what the fuck? You should all go skim this first chapter just because of the sheer WTF-ery.

Gotta give the author one thing at least - this is definitely an AU. As massive AU, that appears to be well thought out in terms of all of the AU aspects. This just isn't good writing or plotting or characterization to go with the additional worldbuilding.

This is an acid trip and now that I've skimmed to the end of the first chapter I am sort of curious to see the next one. In fact, I'd argue that the start of Chapter 2 is actually a little bit engaging.
    Not fantastic, but if this had been the first part of Chapter 1 I wouldn't have been nearly as put off.

This isn't going to make the library. Someone get the author on DLP so they can learn to write because I have to honest... I might actually read this if it was written worth a damn. But it's not.

Possibly worthy of "Almost Recommended" once you're into Chapter 2 and beyond as it is. The first chapter is probably what got it into the Trash Bin. But the improvements it makes and it's unique ideas aren't going to be enough to get it into the library.

2/5