1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

"A Song of Ice and Fire" stories

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by purple, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    That is a fair bit more entertaining than the vast majority of supposedly good ASOIAF fanfiction.

2. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I remember that one. Solid, and didn't overstay the welcome of its premise.

3. dudeler

dudeler High Inquisitor

High Score:
    It's a pretty good crackfic. Does anyone know any similar fics? Not written as letters, but some kind of humourous out-of-context view at the bunch of murderous lunatics that make up the westerosi nobility.

4. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

The Man With The Golden Fingers.

A fusion with James Bond that is surprisingly entertaining. There are simply many aspects that just mesh together well enough.

5. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

The Man with the Golden Fingers is pretty great, I second the rec even if I find the use of M for
    Varys
    pretty hamfisted. Loved the reveal of Q though.

6. Wyatt Axford

Wyatt Axford Second Year

7. Ackner

Ackner First Year

To Go Forward

Jon centric Peggy Sue. Starts out like an interesting what if with some cool ideas and branches out into something quite interesting and unexpected. Probably the best
    Jon goes to meet Daenerys in Essos
    story. Also probably up there in terms of Jon Snow Peggy Sue fics.

Prose is a bit meh at times but is solid overall. Meh only because, especially at the start Jon is a bit over angsty but I suppose that is excusable considering that this is right after his death.

The fic really finds itself in terms of characterization and world building. Seeing various places through Jon's eyes is interesting, even places that we are familiar with in Canon. Characterization of Jon, Dany and others is extremely solid and is mostly canon compliant for everyone except Jon. I will admit that the Jon here is more like he is earlier in the series (less sure, going with the flow and not knowing much) but this has changed in the more recent chapters. So maybe a bit of regression, but is excusable since it is canon compliant with a younger version of the character rather than being OOC entirely and changes eventually.

I might make it sound bad with critiques but it really is a very good story with many interesting ideas throughout. It rarely drags on and has good amounts of suspense, romance, political thrillery elements, while being a solid adventure fantasy. The recent chapters have really shown a lot of character growth.

One warning would be that updates look like they are very slow. The author sounds extremely sure that they will finish the fic, and I believe them but still, slow updates.

If I had to rate it 4 or 4.5/5.

8. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

Ah, I thought I recognized this. It's been recc'ed a few times here over the years. Considering it was started in 2015, that's not surprising.

9. Ackner

Ackner First Year

If it's been rec'd before, sorry my bad. I searched it a couple of times just to check if it had before, but couldn't find it so I assumed it hadn't, didn't feel like going through every page lmao. My bad.

10. Heather_Sinclair

Not that big of a deal on a general thread like this, especially since it's been updated with new material.

Search hint for the future: click on the "search this thread only" radio box and it will narrow down the results considerably. Also, if there is this much material and you're rating it so high, you might consider posting it on the "Other Fandoms Review Board", but check the Library first to see if it's already posted.

11. CGB

CGB Auror

You can also search by the story id, that often gets better results

12. Barzûl

Barzûl Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Honestly this is a great fic. Read it in one sitting and thoroughly enjoyed myself. I really appreciated the character interactions and it's the first ASOIAF fic in ages to make me feel that way.

I'd encourage you to put it up for review if it's not in the library already.

13. Dagro

Dagro DA Member

Life and Honor
    https://archiveofourown.org/works/16581125/chapters/77023250 Updated again (link to latest chapter).

Been a while since the last update, I bet this wasn't easy to write. I will probably need to see the next 1-2 chapters to know how I feel about the aftermath and if it is handled well. Donnel's part's keep me interested and it kinda proves that this author has a gift for making the reader care or atleast get interested in characters you previously thought of as simple.

edit: forgot we had a thread :oops:
    https://forums.darklordpotter.net/t...-by-nooneo_o-asoiaf.38485/page-2#post-1174559

Last edited: May 12, 2021
  14. Othalan

Othalan Headmaster DLP Supporter

Life and Honor is a good one for sure.

I'm not sure if it's been rec'd here already, but I've been reading "Purple Days" over on SB lately. It's long (770k words and counting), and has an interesting (at least to me) premise: Joffrey is stuck in a time-loop. Every time he dies, he wakes up in his bed the morning that Robert's court leaves King's Landing for Winterfell. It's basically a redemption arc for Joffrey as he learns to actually be a decent human being and a great fighter and leader over the course of many, many failed lives.

It drifts into Sue territory on occasion towards the middle (I'm only a little bit more than halfway through it now), but it usually balances out with some terrible mistake ImmortalChampion!Joffrey makes that sets everything back. The psychological strain of his situation is relatively well portrayed so far. Long-term pairing is Joffrey/Sansa, with a... ahem... soul bond. BUT! The usual soul bond clichés are pretty heavily subverted by the exact nature and origin of the bond (and it doesn't even come into the story until somewhere between a third of the way and half way through). It would be major spoilers for the middle of the story to explain any further.

In all honesty, as it goes on it's rapidly drifting into guilty pleasure territory, and it's starting to drag more and more. More cringe tropes are starting to pile up too, so I probably won't stick with it for much longer. But the first third or so of the story are well worth the read on their own merits.

15. Heather_Sinclair

It's in Almost Rec'ed for sure.

16. pbluekan

pbluekan Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

It’s there. Honestly, one of the highlights of the piece is watching the author’s skill improve over the course of it. Overall it has its good and bad.

17. JimmyCranberry

JimmyCranberry High Inquisitor

On the subject of Purple Days, as of this past weekend Baurus has now completed it. Final tally is at 84 numbered chapters, 880k words.

On the whole, it leaves a bittersweet taste for me. Though it was never the greatest of stories or pieces of writing, I massively enjoyed the world-building which the author undertook. The World of Ice and Fire felt alive, and for that, I truly enjoyed reading it.

18. Gurukid

Gurukid Third Year

Decent story so far, which has Jon deciding to leave the Wall before saying his vows due to a violent experience he has there. It hasn’t really taken off yet, but the writing is solid and the characters are interesting. Approx. 65k words.

By the Sword:
    https://m.fanfiction.net/s/13382899/1/

19. Ackner

Ackner First Year

It's alright. Writing and characterization is great but plotting and pacing is quite weak. The author plays off a good number of overdone tropes and scenarios. He does do some things differently and refreshingly, but so far is following a well treaded upon narrative. My main issue with this story is that two years and 65k words in, the setting and plot is such that we've just come out of a prologue. Jon hasn't even left the north yet. The story doesn't come off meandering or slow when reading it but once you finish the newest update you realize, damn this whole story can be summarized into three lines so far. There are parts where it reminds strongly of Seinfeld the self described show about nothing - just everyday life. I'm alright with short stories that do this if they're well written. But unintentionally being both a slice of life and adventure fic at the same time leaves a bad taste.

Tldr just follows a common outline, I have no clue where it's going or what the plot is going to be but it has some well written ideas here and there.

This will either take 2 million words over a span of 30 years or will be abandoned within 2 years and 20k more words, at the current rate of pacing and update speed.

The story reminded me of some scenarios that for some reason EVERY author has to do despite the setting. Arya is not a lady. She likes sticking out her tongue. Sansa is a lady. We get it. I swear to god I'm going to have an aneurysm if I read

Arya shouted "I'm not a lady!!!!" from a muddy dress

Or something similar one more time in a fic. Unless it is incredibly important or sets up something there is never a need to rewrite canon scenarios/dialogues that are overdone to the point of being unreadable. I can probably procure a long list of such scenarios.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
  20. Ackner

Ackner First Year

https://archiveofourown.org/works/14934726

This is a Storm of Swords divergence where Robb lives fic which I found pretty fun. It's kinda a fluff fic at times but the second half is much more realistic and I greatly appreciated some of the small details the author puts in here and there (for eg some of the writing when Catelyn meets Jon). Also the way some of the main pairings are handled was also nice and pretty refreshing compared to how the majority of this fandom, which also applies to the story's treatment of the long night which is unrealistic but refreshingly
    short
    (tbh at this point I don't think anyone except GRRM can write a passable long night story). There is half a chapter worth of slash but it is very minor and can be skipped without affecting the story at all. The story is pretty unambitious but I found that the very cannon accurate characters made up for that. Somewhere between a 3 and 4, also the kind of story someone here will enjoy much more than me.

Last edited: May 28, 2023