1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Lord of the Rings (TV - Amazon))

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by KHAAAAAAAN!!, Aug 3, 2021.

1. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Amazon won't let you. This is their GoT, MCU and Star Wars. They didn't invest 1 billion dollars (for the rights and a planned budget of five seasons) to make this series for people to not be aware of it. Expect it to be everywhere in the upcoming months.

2. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Amazon will not let you forget about it. There will be multiple trailers and it will be plastered literally all over their packaging and advertisements. Remember Tomorrow War themed Amazon packages for like 3 months straight?

Edit: Anyone have thoughts on the Horse sword guy or the Ent-face armor guy? I can't really think of anything Second Age related that runs along those themes. The Rohirrim certainly aren't around yet, and I don't recall there being any major stories about the Silvan elves (the only group I can think of that might use wood armor for presumably stupid reasons) beyond Thranduil's pappy Oropher of the Sindar showing up in Mirkwood and becoming King of the Silvans, then dieing a bit later and Thranduil becomes King (and I think it is safe to say that this is not Oropher given the actor's complexion).

Last edited: Feb 5, 2022
  3. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    My only thought regarding the horse-sword person is that it's Oromë. But it would be odd for a Vala to be a major character.

4. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Ah that's a good thought. If they spend more time than I'm expecting on First Age prologue business, several of the more important Valar could all show up in their elf-y forms.

5. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I gotta say the only things I've ever bought off Amazon have been ebooks on my Kindle, so no, I never saw any Tomorrow War packaging.

6. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Well, that's weird but okay.

And regardless, unless you tell me you're a full media hermit, I'm not going to believe you didn't see adds for that piece of shit. Tomorrow War had the second highest Nielsen ratings that a streaming only movie property has seen, largely in part due to the massive marketing campaign. The tv commercials, social media ads, and hyperlink web banners were also everywhere. You couldn't get through a youtube video or a few hours of tv without seeing something about it.

If there's one thing Amazon knows how to do well, it is advertising the things they want to be popular. As Celestin said, this is their Star Wars. They are going to flood the media market with LOTR stuff. Unless you cover your eyes/ears and intentionally ignore all the people (like us here in this thread) who are talking about it, a big #DOUBT on anyone forgetting this exists.

7. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I block ads. And I don’t buy things from Amazon. I first heard about Tomorrow War when I logged onto prime video the other day. I’ll probably watch it.

I expect to forget about this until it’s out.

8. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Don't.

9. ScottPress

High Score:
    Ublock Origin, Ghostery and AdGuard, no ads or banners for me. I don't own a TV and haven't watched TV in years. I also don't order physical goods online. Just not something I've ever needed or wanted to do so far. As far as online ads, I'm pretty insulated from those, unless I happen to watch a YT video on my phone or tablet, which I generally don't do anyway. If I got a trailer for the movie at some point, I clicked the skip button before I knew what trailer was playing. The only social media site I use is reddit and I block all ads there too. DLP is where I find out about most movies/shows I end up watching.

Also, I saw Tomorrow War and I thought it was a decent enough action movie, on par with stuff like the new Jurassic Park sequels. I was entertained for 2 hours and that's good enough.

Does blocking ads, not owning a TV and not using most social media count as being a media hermit?

10. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Yeah I would say that qualifies. You've managed to isolate yourself from basically all forms of advertisements for media products. You're certainly not the norm though.

11. ScottPress

High Score:
    I'll count that as a success lol

12. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I literally stopped watching TV at 16 because I hated ads. Haven't returned since. And lets be honest, the advertising industry has gotten a hell of a lot worse since.

13. Quiddity

Quiddity Squib ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I also hadn't heard of Tomorrow War before now. I get a fair amount of ads from watching twitch/youtube on my phone.

14. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

I am entirely insulated from ads for the most part so I'll likely forget until it's out (did the same with Reacher), which means I'll miss out on any angst or optimism about the show thankfully.

Also if you have not been suckered into watching The Tomorrow War count your blessings, what a trashfire

15. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    They probably did not buy as much digital or physical add space for New Zealand. Y'all are only like 0.06% of the movie revenue market.

You're very lucky.

16. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    I just realized that the gold-dusted guy is wearing a Triforce. This amuses me.

Edit: The more I look at it, the more I'm convinced that the person in the armor with silver/gold sword is actually a woman. There are some hips there, and the hand is very delicate. The sword with the silver and gold seems to be a representation of the two trees, and it's got 3 pearls on it, which could be representing the Silmarils. Meaning this is probably a Noldor elf, a woman, and thus very likely Galadriel as a young warrior, played by Morfydd Clark.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2022
  17. ScottPress

High Score:
    I thought most of the images are pretty obvious as to whether it's a man or a woman. The silver/gold sword is obviously a woman, look at the shape of the armor, it's an hourglass.

18. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    1st teaser trailer drops during the Super Bowl.

And so it begins. The great marketing push of our time.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2022
  19. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Vanity fair article. (Paywalled but full article below)

I would be concerned about the WoTy cleanliness displayed in some of these shots, but the hands posters show these same costumes dirtied up with better lighting, so not super worried there.

Elrond and Galadriel chilling in Lindon:
    [​IMG]

Galadriel actress being very attractive:
    [​IMG]

Cool Elves walk away from explosions:
    [​IMG]

Elrond trying to look natural in a bad photoshoot:
    [​IMG]

Some hunter dudes from Harad:
    [​IMG]

Bronwyn is a lonely single mom in Arondir's area (no really that is basically her blurb):
    [​IMG]

Harad sure doesn't look the way I imagined but whatever:
    [​IMG]

Showrunners pretending to have a discussion:
    [​IMG]

Durin 4 looking fabulous:
    [​IMG]

Halbrand, some human bro I dunno:
    [​IMG]

Arondir is Silvan elf guys he's got wood armor because wood elves need wood armor makes perfect sense right oh wait no it doesn't:
    [​IMG]

Dwarf princess Disa (actually rocking some beard hair, which I appreciate)
    [​IMG]

Galadriel and Halbrand doing ship things (Ship in more ways than one I expect)
    [​IMG]

There is a lot of reassuring stuff from this expose, but also some worrying things.

The time compression has me very worried. If you don't respect the passage of the ages in Tolkien, then it opens up the possibility of shoehorning details for plot convenience. Actions taken because of previous historical events can become nonsensical. That said, the showrunners and studio at least recognize the risk they're taking and they consulted with the Tolkien Estate on this point, sooooo I dunno.

My other worry is the forbidden love between Arondir and Bronwyn.

A) Really? Again?

B) What the fuck is a Silvan elf doing in Harad?

20. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

I sense that this will be a bigger flop than that Wheel of Time show.