1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Protagonist goes to magic school

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Lucius, Nov 2, 2022.

1. Lucius

Lucius Banned

Looking for books where the protagonist goes to magic school like Harry Potter, KingKiller.

2. The-Hyphenated-One

The-Hyphenated-One Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Last edited: Nov 3, 2022
  3. Swirly Mango

Swirly Mango Seventh Year

I re-recommend A Deadly Education by Naomi Novik. If you have a heart and half an ear it will leave your soul tender.

4. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Mother of Learning by Domagoj Kurmaić is definitely worth a read - a mix of magic school, time travel and progression fantasy.

5. Harpo the Fool

Harpo the Fool Fourth Year

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Worst_Witch :

The Worst Witch
    is a series of children's books written and illustrated by Jill Murphy. The series are primarily about a girl who attends a witch school and fantasy stories, with eight books published. The first, The Worst Witch, was published in 1974 by Allison & Busby,[1] and the most recent, First Prize for the Worst Witch, was published in 2018 by Puffin Books, the current publisher of the series. The books have become some of the most successful titles on the Young Puffin paperback list and have sold more than 5 million copies.[2][3]

(There was a book I was trying to find about a wizard school that is sometimes called an antecedent of Harry Potter. I don't think the above is it, but it's a start).

6. cucio

cucio Groundskeeper

High Score:
    I've meaning to post a review about Azalea Ellis' ongoing serial "A Practical Guide to Sorcery", but I don't have a lot of time these days to do it according to DLP standards.

Borrows heavily from "The Name of the Wind": sciencey magic university, prodigy lead, gang wars, 18-19th century magic-based tech and society, etc. Chapters describing magic lessons are hit or miss, sometimes they go into too much detail and start reading like academic texts, which kills the narrative and are not that relevant to worldbuilding and providing the lead with tools to solve plot situations later on. But there are a lot of good things there: worldbuilding, action, comedy, characterization... 4/5 from me. Also published at Royal Road, a few chapters behind.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2022
  7. Drachna

Drachna Professor

High Score:
    The OP's been banned ik, but Babel's a good shout I think. It's set in 18th century Oxford and explores colonialism through the lens of an immigrant from China who's attending what amounts to a magical university. The book is extremely well written, though it can get a little bit preachy at times.

8. Harpo the Fool

Harpo the Fool Fourth Year

Someone recommended The Millenial Mage to me. I haven't read it yet but the blurb looks ok. I was able to download it with fanficfare but have no idea if and when I'll get around to looking at it more. It is long, around 700k words according to the header, 205 chapters so far and still WIP.

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/47826

9. Triliro

Triliro Second Year

High Score:
    Millennial Mage does not feature a magic school arc, it's a decent slice of lifey magic story but its pacing is very slow and its only just beginning to have actual conflict or plot.

On the recommendation Side the Mage Errant series is one of my favorite book series recently and it features the protagonists attending a magic school.