1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Hogwarts Legacy

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Gengar, Mar 17, 2022.

1. KGB

KGB Headmaster

Anyone tried running it on a steamdeck? It's supposed to be compatible but all this talk of performance issues has me worried.

The only chance I'm gonna get to play it is going to be mostly during commute.

2. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The performance issues seem to be more complex than "badly optimised". I've seen people with RTX 2070s say they have it running fine and people with RTX 3080s saying their performance is tanking.

CPU bottleneck seems to be a particular issue but that can't be the full explanation.

Personally I would wait for the day 1 patch and the Digital Foundry review before committing to buy on PC.

3. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

I have 16gb RAM, Intel Core i7 9750H, and an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 graphics card. I have no complaints about how it’s running so far. I have it set to High rather than maxing out the settings. My laptop runs hot and loud though while playing it.

4. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Ruh roh.
    Could be bad news for my prospects in the Wizarding World.

I'm not terribly worried about my RX 5600 XT, though I wish it had a few more gigs of VRAM for FO4 modding purposes. On the other hand, my i7-4790 is going to be an increasingly relevant issue for my gaming prospects.

5. Othalan

Othalan Headmaster DLP Supporter

Oh, I get that. I'm honestly not even talking about this game specifically, but was responding to a blanket, universal statement that "shoehorned diversity" is only ever disliked by "racists/homophobes/etc."

Personally, none of the "diversity" I've heard about from Hogwarts: Legacy actually sounds particularly problematic or stands out as out-of-place. Britain was a relatively racially diverse country (at least in the urban areas) even back in the late 19th Century, so various people of color wouldn't be particularly out of place. As for other stuff like potential trans characters or openly gay characters, that can be passed off as a cultural difference between the wizarding world and the muggle one, since the Wizarding World's attitudes toward such have never been canonically explored.

6. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    As someone who finds overt displays of diversity a bit cringe and virtue signally, this game ain't it. Yes, there is a trans character. Her being trans has nothing to do with her character, she's just a there, as a person.

I've been playing a lot on PS5 and am adoring it - except for the flying. Flying can eat a dick. Honestly, whoever thought putting Pitch and Yaw on different sticks needs to be tried at the Hague. I have no idea why I'm not seeing anyone else talk about this, it drove me insane. Still does, even though I'm managing.

As for performance, it's perfect safe for one thing on PS5. If you move through the castle too quickly, you start headbutting the doors when transitioning from inside to outside. I've had no frame drops on VRR mode - I can't count frames, but I'm assuming it's uncapped and synched to my TV etc.

And it still looks gorgeous.

A little game mechanics spoilers:
    Don't get baited by a lot of the Dark Arts talents. I say that because they look busted, and they are, but they're all tied together by AK, which you only get very late in the game.

7. Gengar

High Score:
    Ah, you too are joining the Professor Garlick Simp Club?

8. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Flying does indeed suck. It’s counter intuitive to the rest of the movement in practically any modern game.

Also I fully expect lots of fanfic lime grown in Herbology…

9. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Third day of 8+ hours of gameplay, and my opinion continues to elevate. I've enjoyed every minute of it except the times when my frames vanish.

Important thing I want to note is how alive the world feels. Everywhere you turn in Hogwarts and Hogsmeade, something new is happening. There's people, ghosts, professors and students going about their business and having conversation and doing random shit. You can sit and watch them, or keep going, but they're happening, and I've never had an event repeat itself. People come and go depending on time of day, etc. The world is full. It's the opposite of CP2077.

Also working massively in the game's favor is the incredible pacing of introducing new systems and things for the players to do. I'm 25+ hours in and just got the Vivarium, for example. Keeps people invested, interested and not bored by repetition, but doesn't flood them with everything right away.

P.S: Has anyone figured out what the hell Fig teaches?

P.P.S: Flying does not suck in the least. Idk what y'all smoking. It's perfectly serviceable as a transport method (especially with speed upgrades from quests) and very evocative.

10. Gengar

High Score:
    I just don't get it. It's so easy to fix. Pitch and Yaw on left stick, roll on right stick.

It actually made me think a lot about game design and where games excel as a story telling medium, and it made me chuckle. This control scheme would be brilliant as a way to convey clunkiness when first on a broom. I looked like the firsties in the first movies when flying for the first time. Wobbly and pathetic.

Imagine the controls then changing to be more intuitive as the game progressed (you get upgrades from the broom shop to increase speed, put these there) until you're doing Wronski feints.

As much as I want to rant about the flying, there's so much more I also want to gush about but won't, so you all get to experience it like I did in game.

If nothing else, this game could have been a 2/10 (it's not) and I'll forever be grateful to it for realising Hogwarts in a way that 20+years of reading and all those movies have never done. The castle is in my mind now in a way those mediums never achieved. It's amazing.

I'll leave it up to Taure to judge its book accuracy, but this castle is now canon for me.

11. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

Anyone else just find themselves wasting time listening to conversations? When I first started I must’ve spent over an hour in the common room just listening to the students talking amongst themselves.

12. buza

buza Squib

Did a quick quest with the steam deck and it was running fine, on low/medium with FSR it was pulling 30-40 fps. Capped at 30 and it seemed stable enough for playing, though there might be areas where it struggles. The biggest issue seems to be the battery life, at capped 30 it was showing me a bit above an hour of battery life on default settings.

13. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

disarm the first attacker, stun someone else in the mob, flipendo someone to heaven, and then. Avada Kedavra. If you have AK mastery talent, every cursed enemy dies.

Lmfao this game fucking rules.

Also, we already have some mods. One fixes the pale skin shit looks like. Lots of reShade. And a macro script for spell swapping here lol.

https://www.nexusmods.com/hogwartslegacy/mods/35

https://www.nexusmods.com/hogwartslegacy

Mod scene hype.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2023
  14. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Sounds like you are pretty far through the game if you already have AK.

Is there a lot of "post game" optional content like higher level bosses that are more challenging than the main story?

15. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

I'm still waiting on my new ram sticks after a failure. I'm living vicariously through nexusmods and reddit

16. Gengar

High Score:
    Man, I just love exploring Hogwarts.

I just stumbled on the Alchemy Classroom. Cool.

17. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Flying works just fine on PC, mind you.

18. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

I like all of the attempts to make the game more diverse- I only have one complaint. No way a dude named Ominis Gaunt should be tolerant.

Like you can make the game show/put a spotlight on a more diverse cast but there really needs to be an asshole student character. (Unless there is one and im too early into the game)

19. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Hot Take: You’re the asshole character everyone hates bc of all the privileges just handed to you.

20. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    He seemed like quite the dick the first time showed up, imo.