1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

FFN screw up

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Thaumologist, Nov 20, 2022.

1. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Hotmail has had issues with getting alerts for a while. I had to set up a Gmail forward to get chapter and review alerts. It does feel like they're trying to encourage adoption of the app by artificially increasing the convenience gap.

2. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Yeah, hotmail alerts stopped working a long time ago. I switched to my gmail, and then tried switching back, but the notification never came through.
    It's a minor inconvenience, but still a pain. As Tomato says, I think it's just to get people to move to the app.

3. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

What would it take to end ffn’s dominance?
    Seems like other sites are better in many ways but everyone still uses ffn.

4. Donimo

Donimo Auror

What's the addon?

5. arkkitehti

arkkitehti High Inquisitor

Are they really? Depending on the fandom Ao3 is already way bigger and more active than FFN. Even Harry Potter which has a huge established presence in FFN has almost five times more updated stories last month in Ao3.

6. Ankan

Ankan Professor

Hotmail alerts recently started working again, atleast for me

7. Thaumologist

High Score:
    Anyone else having issues with email alerts? Using gmail, if that helps.

It's been about 7 days since I had one come through, and there's been at least three followed-author updates, and one followed-story update in that time. Account settings were still on for alerts for me; but I've turned it off, saved, and turned it back on.

Nothing in spam though.

8. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

9. TheWiseTomato

High Score:
    Missed a few. Checked my email settings, but I should be getting the emails as far as I can tell, so it's not that.

10. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

I'm seeing the same issue, for what it's worth. Missed like half a dozen known update emails by now. I double checked my settings when I realized and it's all set right. There's gotta be something down on their end.

11. MuggsieToll

MuggsieToll Seventh Year

Last time something like this happened it was Hotmail/Outlook that was not receiving. I swapped to Gmail specifically since FFNet wasn't fixing the problem.

12. Thaumologist

High Score:
    Just checked, and within FFN, there was a pop-up today that an email bounced on 2023/10/22, which means they disabled email alerts.

I've re-added the bot email address to the whitelist, re-enabled email alerts, and we'll have to see.

Annoying, because a lot of authors are only on FFN, but if this is the site broken, I can't keep using it.

13. Thaumologist

High Score:
    Gmail alert was back on this morning, but I could switch it back to hotmail? We'll see if anything comes through, I guess

14. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

I had the same message, and I double-checked all their criteria listed. Everything was already done to specs on my Yahoo account. (Bot addy was already added, no spam in the spam in the spam folder much less FFN spam, etc. So this "bounced" bullshit is bullshit. Be interested to see if this is site-wide and just another "check here if you want email alerts... and do it often or we'll stop sending you emails" Nothing has changed on my iPhone app. Curiously (not), that works just fine.

15. Thaumologist

High Score:
    Yeah, hotmail alerts aren't coming through.

I don't know if it's deliberate, or just incompetence.

16. Rhys

Rhys High Inquisitor

The problems have expanded past email alerts. Whole pages are showing up as blank to me now, like for example the main page for book crossovers or TV crossovers. The problem extends to some individual fandom pages, random pages of searches of "working" pages, individual author pages, etc. The issue seems to move around, as sometimes dead pages will come back and sometimes working pages will die (example: the Ynyr author page was dead last night and alive today.) The first report I can find of someone noticing this behavior was Thursday, but I first noticed it last night.

Inactive as shit here lately, but figured it might be wise to sound the alarm, grab whatever scrolls you can and get them out of the Library of Alexandria, etc etc.

17. yargle

yargle Professor

From what I'm given to understand, they are having upstream service provider problems. Would explain all the non-email alert problems, I think.

18. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

Just got a notification in my account (orange text) that said there was an email delivery problem and to whitelist the sender. Everything seemed to be set up correctly so I just said to start sending messages again, we'll see if it works.

19. TheWiseTomato

High Score:
    Had the same thing; didn't work for me.

20. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Same, I got the bounced email alert a few days ago and double checked everything and made some tweaks on top of that, said to start sending emails again and when I checked today, still nothing. Seems like their email service is just hosed for whatever reason.