1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Transfiguration and The Emperor’s Soul

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AgentSatan, Mar 27, 2024.

1. AgentSatan

AgentSatan Third Year

Recently, I reread the Emperor’s Soul, and I was thinking about how the magic system there is similar and different to how I imagine transfiguration. For those unfamiliar with the magic system, there are forgers capable of transforming objects using stamps. The gist of it is that by recognizing the history of a particular object, they can coax it into being something else.

Transfiguration, by contrast, is more standardized. It’s more about understanding the abstract theory regarding a particular process/spell and not about any specific object being transfigured. But, similar to the Emperor’s Soul, I also think of Transfiguration as an art.

Regardless, I was reminded of the potential in canon’s magic and of my disappointment about it never being explored in a serious manner. Tbf, JKR was more interested in story than intricate world building, but reading the Emperor’s Soul made me think about what could’ve been. Eh. I guess Victoria Potter’s there to fill in the gaps.

Also, this is a total tangent, but something about the novella reminded me about my gripes with parts of Brandon Sanderson’s world building. Some of it is just too video gamey. Imo, the Stormlight Archive’s setting is brilliant. From the high storms, to the Alethi’s politics, and to religion, it’s all extremely well done. However, in the same world, the Azir choose their nation’s leader through an essay contest. Lmao