1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

One Simple Act

Discussion in 'Review Board' started by Glitter, May 18, 2024.

1. Glitter

Glitter Squib

Title: One Simple Act
    Author: Ray_Writes
    Rating: General Audiences
    Pairing: Harry/Ginny
    Library Category: Alternates
    Summary: When the third years are subjected to Moody’s lessons on the Unforgivables, Ginny and Harry together stumble on a secret plot that has a ripple effect.
    Story Link: https://archiveofourown.org/works/20057191

So basically this is an au where Harry checked in on Ginny after her class with Moody. I found it because I was searching for Sirius lives aus and this is one of the better ones for all that he doesn't get much screen time.
    It's a believable alternate version of events and as fix its like this go it's very satisfying. It kind of ends a little underwhelmingly because it leaves you wanting to know what else will happen in this verse but it does end with an optimistic and reassuring tone that also leaves you in no doubt that though you aren't going to get the specifics it'll probably all turn out for the better. About halfway through the fic it becomes more telling us events rather than having us experience the events with the characters but it's not to the point where the writing's a dealbreaker and there are a lot of original elements in how it goes about being a fix it story. Sirius' first meeting with Molly after coming in from the cold for example was a really nice moment.
    The humour is also good while not being an overbearing element in the story.
    I recommend this for anyone who loves punchy fix its that solve all the problems before they get going.

None of the characters are mary sues but thing's just go in their favour in a believably lucky way, like Rita writing about what Barty Crouch Jr said to the minister was believable because more people in the castle was aware something big was going on and she was already there spying on the tournament champions - of which Harry is one and he was there in the room with crouch and the minister so. If you can tolerate that level of plot convenience then you'll probably be able to enjoy this fic a lot.

One thing it does do really well is the romance and friendship between Ginny and Harry. Better than canon.

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2024
  2. Drachna

Drachna Professor

High Score:
    Hi Glitter, could you edit your post to include a link to the fic please.

3. Glitter

Glitter Squib

Sorry, the edit button isn't showing under the post anymore and I'm also unsure how to delete the post to make a new one. Please advise.

Last edited: May 19, 2024
  4. Drachna

Drachna Professor

High Score:
    You might need to contact a moderator or an admin to edit posts in the Review Board section. It's probably easier to get in touch with them over discord, but you can PM one here. @Jon maybe.

5. Glitter

Glitter Squib

Thanks, I contacted them so hopefully this'll work out soon.