1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

FFN screw up

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Thaumologist, Nov 20, 2022.

1. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

I resorted to using the mobile app, where you can still get your alerts.
    Is it faster to just check your alerts page? Yes, but only for individual stories, since it shows stuff in update order. Authors stay in the same position on their alert page, whether they've updated in the last day, or have been inactive for a decade. Also, half the time, the site doesn't want to load: Not so on the phone.
    I don't have smartphone service, myself, but I have wifi and someone's old, inactive phone, so...

Largest, in FFN's case, has long meant cumbersome, ponderous, and slow to move.

2. Harpo the Fool

Harpo the Fool Fourth Year

There was a pinned reddit thread about this too. It has since been unpinned so I would have to dig around to find it, which I don't feel like doing. But, I think it is time for authors still posting on ffn to give up on it.

3. MuggsieToll

MuggsieToll Seventh Year

FFN is back up and running with emails going out properly.

4. Mr. Mixed Bag

Mr. Mixed Bag Seventh Year

Working for me as well. Although it seems to be playing catch up, sending alerts for the last two weeks in bursts of three or four, slowly working toward the actually new ones.

5. zugrian

zugrian Fourth Year

They had a server crash back in mid September that has nuked the stats for everyone which still hasn't been fixed, and it actually took the whole site down briefly. The e-mail system for the entire site went out back in October around the time of more site issues they were having (acknowledged via twitter even.)

The e-mail system seems to have been fixed in the last day, but I've seen old alerts from things that happened more than a day ago still coming in, so there may be a bit of backlog. Still no word on when the stats might be fixed.

6. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Email alerts have, for me, been fucked since April 1st. Absolutely no alerts coming through.

I did try changing my email address from gmail to hotmail and back again - both times the email came through, but no alerts.

This morning, I've had a flood of alerts for stories updated from May 25th, all at once. Don't know what's going on, but it's meant I've basically not used FFN since April. Anyone else having trouble, or is this just me again?

7. permissionBRICK

permissionBRICK Muggle

Yeah, same for me. Maybe it was related to gmail? I tried setting up a proxy on another domain but that didn't fix it, but now they seem to have gotten the mailing job to work again and it's catching up. Hopefully it wont send out everything from April 1st though.

8. zugrian

zugrian Fourth Year

The e-mail problem has been site wide at FFN since April 1st. They apparently got it fixed a couple of days ago as e-mails have started popping up again, but they're from all over the place timeline wise, apparently as some of the backlog is getting flushed.

9. Oment

Oment The Betrayer DLP Supporter

It seems to be fixed, but like a rooftop drain being cleared of fallen leaves, it's going about it haphazardly and with some difficulty as everything tried to get through in one go*. Before bed last night, my inbox had new odd-numbered chapters on a fic that just dropped, but not even-numbered, for example. Fixed since, I think - but anything from before the ~24th seems to be lost.

*At least this doesn't come with sewage-infused water coming back up through the bathroom sink.

10. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Email alerts are still fucked for me, but the shitty FFN app still gave me some alerts, but rarely anymore until today.

Today I got 99+ alerts that I had new updates.

The oldest one was from 2018

11. Oment

Timely.

12. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I'm surprised that the app wasn't working, tbh. The conspiracy theorist corner of my brain was stuck on "this is just to push you to the app, it's all a trick".

Silly me, ruling out incompetence.

13. Drachna

Drachna Professor

High Score:
    It brings to mind that Hanlon's Razor quote, never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

14. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    oh wow, same lol. had given up on the site because of it, that was too toxic to tolerate. good to know they just suck at coding lol.

15. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Yeah, I've been manually looking through my story alerts page for months, now.
    Sadly, this doesn't work with author alerts, since they're not arranged by the date the author last updated something.

16. d4st

d4st Squib

Hey guys,

I can no longer filter stories by "updated within 24 hours" and sort the results by reviews. I get a "No entries found with current filters. Note: M rated entries are not displayed by default. Please expand your filter." error message.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

17. Goten Askil

Goten Askil Groundskeeper

Sorting by update also doesn't seem to take into account any update after 10 June. The update date is changed on each individual story and new chapters seem up, but the sorting puts them lower according to previous update date. That's probably why the site doesn't detect any update in past 24h.

18. yargle

yargle Professor

I checked the FictionPress X account and apparently it should be fixed soon-ish.

FFN whoopsie.png

19. Oment

Hey, guess what has stopped working again? Three guesses, first two do not count.

Back to the Story Alerts page!