1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Everything Else II: Not As Good As The Original

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by MonkeyEpoxy, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    What the actual fuck.

This is....sickening. Like my expectations were already in the grave, but this is descended into hell level bullshit.

2. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I wouldn't be so dramatic but... the trailer has a cartoony vibe that doesn't click with the Dragon Age universe for me. Before, DA took itself seriously even when it was goofy. This trailer leans too much into humor and fun. I think BioWare understand the audience they're trying to reel in and are choosing to market this for the Fortnite tweens rather than the players who gave DAO a shot because it came from the studio that made Baldur's Gate. It might turn out to be a fantastic game, just not for me. You and I are not the intended audience @Arthellion.

3. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm hoping that it's just the trailer art style, and that the game models skew toward realism. The DAI game models also looked starkly different from the characters showcased in the cinematic trailers.

But yeah, the "okay gang, let's fucking goooooo" attitude of this trailer took away a big chunk of my hype.

Just... completely missed the mark of Dragon Age's established themes.

Edit: Thankfully, the characters do seem to be a lot more detailed and realistic than the trailer is portraying.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2024
  4. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The recent gameplay video looked better. Still a bit nervous about the tone and themes, but better than whatever the travesty linked above was.

5. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Yeah I was really worried for a hot minute, but this was reassuring. Graphics are solidly realistic, tactical pause and ability wheels are back, Solas is still a little bitch.

Some other very positive tidbits I saw on socials:
    - all companions are romanceable for whatever gender (Harding/Liara supremacy)
    - super in depth char creation
    - factions and faction buffs are back
    - 9 subclasses
    - no war table
    - your Inquisitor will be back

6. ScottPress

High Score:
    No war table? Hell, that alone already nets this game several extra points from me. What an absolutely abysmal, awful, irredeemable, braindead shitstain of a feature.

Haven't had time to watch the gameplay preview myself yet, but now you've made me curious @KHAAAAAAAN!!.

7. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

(I'm gonna miss the war table with mod exploits)

8. ScottPress

High Score:
    I have a problem with shit features that have to be modded into not being shit.

9. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Other good news:

No vast empty open world (because bioware is shit at them). This one will be mission based like ME3.

10. ScottPress

High Score:
    More news like this and I'll dare being cautiously optimistic about this game. The maps in DAI were pretty, but a terrible waste of space. Having one or two huge areas like that, with some appropriately epic events scripted for them, is nice. Having ten fuckhuge maps where nothing happens is a waste of development resources and the players' time. The Mass Effect trilogy are basically corridor shooters and BioWare came up with some incredible setpieces in those games. I never heard anyone complain that maps in ME2 weren't open enough.

11. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

That is great news, Christ I disliked Inquisition’s open world. Such a waste of my time.

For this game it’ll come down to the writing to me, it always does.

Inquisition was… weird. It had some absolutely stellar scenes/characters in terms of the writing… And some were incredibly boring and dull. At least it was better than Andromeda, which was consistently plain bad the whole way through.

So I have 0 expectations (positive or negative) for this game, which is probably a good thing for Bioware. Because any sort of comparison to the Bioware of yore is probably pretty unfavorable to the company of today. The lack of an open world means I’ll at least give this a shot.

12. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

I expect this game to be absolutely awful; ME3 was the last unambiguously good game Bioware has produced. Inquisition was good where it was good, but mediocre at best everywhere else, with some baffling design choices. Andromeda had fantastic combat but shit everything else. And Anthem was... Anthem was an absolutely fucking amazing core gameplay loop they surrounded with some fuck-awful live service systems and, outside of the setting, a complete absence of everything Bioware built their brand on (most egregiously, character writing and compelling, if simple, narratives). And DA4 has been in development hell for most of the last decade.

I have zero faith the game will be even remotely playable, let alone good.

I'm too much of a simp for Varric to ignore it entirely though. Hopefully the reviews will be promising and I can justify giving Bioware a chance to disappoint me yet again.

13. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

God I loved Inquisition. Stupid maps and all

Almost too many hours.

Also have to say, I really don't care about reviews anymore. I'll watch a couple gameplay videos, and if it looks good I'll fork out the cash. As long as it gives me at least 69.99 hours of fun it'll be worth it

Last edited: Jun 14, 2024 at 1:51 AM
  14. Nevermind

Nevermind Headmaster

High Score:
    LEGO is a terrible company, but I fear I might have to give them some money for this:

And if we get a Thunderjaw or Slaughterspine set, I will be sorely tempted (at the latest as soon as it‘s clears the minimum 20% discount mark at which it becomes acceptable to purchase a LEGO set).

EDIT: And a Sunwing, because Sunwings rule.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2024 at 6:14 PM