1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Official Recommendation Thread: Books

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Marguerida, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Ah, Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke is also an awesome read. It's not a series though, only one book, so that's why I didn't recommend it. It is long though. And extremely good, especially considering that this is her first work.

2. Big D on a Diet

Big D on a Diet Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

It is indeed. This may be heresy among this crowd, but I've actually enjoyed the Codex Alera even more than the Dresden books. Definitely a nice twist on both the old sword and sorcery formula, as well as the "special boy with a destiny" angle.

Great characters, realistic villains, and phenomenal storytelling. I highly recommend them.

Big D

3. Anlun

Anlun Denarii Host

Wow thanks for the tips so far I'll be sure to check some out but if anyone has anymore I'd appreciate it/

As for the recommended, I've heard the wheel of time series drags on alot, and that after the 4th or 5th one you're only reading it for commitment sake.
    I read Sword of Truth and couldn't stand it.
    Read Good Omens and the Hitchhikers series and enjoyed em, but I'm looking for something fantasyish, and less whimsical.

I'm thinking of checking out Butcher's other work or Terry Pratchett, and perhaps look in to some of the series recommended. Has anyone read A Song of Ice and Fire series? I heard mixed reviews from my friends but there tastes tend to differ from mine.

4. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

When I saw the thread's title on the index, so I only saw "Need Help selecting a" - I instantly thought that the rest of it was "best man". I am glad that I proved myself wrong.

Perhaps a less well-known series, but one I enjoyed nevertheless, was the DragonCrown series by Michael A. Stackpole.

5. The-Hyphenated-One

The-Hyphenated-One Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Anything by Raymond E. Feist is a good read.

He has quite a few series.

The Riftwar Saga, Empire Trilogy, Legends of the Riftwar, Riftwar Legacy, Serpentwar Sage, and the Convlave of Shadows.

Here's a wiki link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_E._Feist

6. Anlun

Anlun Denarii Host

Yeah I've read all his series, and I can't wait for the final darkwar book to come out.

7. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've edited in summaries for the lesser-known titles that I provided.

As to this:

Yes, I agree Eragon is quite poor, like a mismatched patchwork quilt of a hundred different famous fantasy stories all copied and sewn together. However, lots of other people seem to like it, so I thought I would recommend it, though I didn't bold it. Also, it's on my bookshelf, and as that was a list of the books on my shelf, it had a place there.

8. Azrael's Little Helper

Azrael's Little Helper High Inquisitor

I'm surprised no one's brought up H.P Lovecraft's fantasy/horror works or the Forgotten Realms series by R.A Salvatore. I've only read some of Salvatore's works but they are very good, and Lovecraft seems quite decent, and is probably my next to read after I'm done with Salvatore's works. All D&D players must have heard of Salvatore or at least stumbled across one of his creations.

It is a pity though, that you're only reading fantasy for now, otherwise Thomas Harris' series based around Hannibal Lecter is quite interesting, and without too far a stretch of imagination I guess one could call it "fantasy"...

9. Rated RKOver

Rated RKOver Second Year

Can someone recommend a good spy or military novel?

I'm looking for something that uses a lot of spy, government, or military vernacular. As far as plot, as long as it's well written I don't mind. I do prefer focus on a few characters rather than many, and some sort of conspiracy theory would make me happy.

10. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

I'll go ahead and assume you've heard of Tom Clancy.

I'd recommend Matthew Reilly, especially the Shane Schofield series (Ice Station, Area 7, Scarecrow). They're a decent mix of conspiracy and action, and the military jargon is piled on fairly thick.

11. the-caitiff

the-caitiff Death Eater

I've got two for you. Two sides of the same war told by/about individuals from both sides. They share a common cast of supporting characters and places so they mesh well.

Freehold by Micheal Z Williamson, a woman in the UN Peacekeepers (Earth) is framed to take the fall in a smuggling/embezzlement plot. Forced to flee a corrupt and all seeing government she seeks asylum on the only planet without extradition treaties to Earth, the Libertarian Freehold of Grainne. Life is very different on Grainne and our heroine discovers what it really means to live in a free society. Then Earth declares war and life just went to hell. Now leading the guerrilla resistance she has to dodge bullets and fight an invader who can afford to wipe the whole planet if things get too rough.

The Weapon, narrated by a young man born on Grainne tells the story of Grainne's armed forces and the battle for Earth. The first half of the novel is a really good spy/army story but the second half is where Williamson really shines. The (anti)hero sees the war coming and decides to do absolutely anything to save his home. He assembles the scariest bunch of Black Ops men and women the universe has ever seen and smuggles them one by one onto Earth. They lay low in this police state gone horribly wrong until things on Grainne become truly bad. Then, in only one day, they kill more than six billion people and leave millions more without food or clean water. Any soldier will sacrifice their life for their home, these men will sacrifice their souls and their humanity.

The truly scary and wonderfully brilliant thing about both of these books is that almost everything in them is completely possible. Okay, space flight might not be plausible for quite some time, but when it comes time for the killing... It could happen, it would be all too easy. You don't need big bombs and machine guns for an epic body count. You just need to capitalize what's available.

Freehold
    would score 3.75/5 for me. It's very good but the first half is a tid bit obvious with it's libertarian propaganda. Sure it mirrors my own beliefs but from a literature standpoint, it's a war/army book not a political essay. Here's a link to the entire book (legal) free courtesy of the Baen Free Library.

The Weapon
    gets a solid 5/5, no questions. This is the story every indy/dark fanfic writer wishes he could write. Badass to the bone, plausible, gritty, dark, and violent. Here's a link to the first seven chapters for free courtesy of Baen Books.

Though I've linked to e-book versions or sample chapters, I actually own both stories in dead tree format. Seriously, at least give the sample chapters from The Weapon a look. You will get hooked.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2007
  12. blackadder

blackadder Backtraced

Bourne series is quite good. I watched the movies but I haven't yet gotten around to reading it. However if you want a GOOD story that is semi-government related, but mostly the focus is on mind games, I would reccomend a manga called: DEATH NOTE.

13. Rated RKOver

Rated RKOver Second Year

I was asking because I've recently watched all three Bourne movies, actually. That was the kind of book I'm looking for. Also, I've read Death Note. And it went the route of garbage once "L" died IMO.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. And Tehan, of course I've heard of Tom Clancy, but I've never read his novels. Honestly I've read tons of sci-fi and fantasy, but I've read so much over my life I've never made time for anything else. Since I've started writing, I wanted to broaden my horizons. I'm gonna head to my local used bookstore tomorrow and look for all of this stuff.

14. Big D on a Diet

Big D on a Diet Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

It's been forever since I read it, but "Sword Point" by Harold Coyle was one of my favorites. It focuses on a hypothetical limited war between the US and the Soviet Union in Iran during the mid-eighties, and is a very good read from a military perspective, touching on several aspects of ground combat.

It does feature a little cloak and dagger stuff as well, but perhaps not as much as you're looking for.

Big D

15. LogrusMage

LogrusMage Supreme Mugwump

Anything by Robert Ludlum; he's the guy who wrote the Bourne series, and he writes amazing spy novels. Tristan Betrayal and The Prometheus Deception are particularly awesome.

16. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

You read sci-fi? Then if you want military novels I say read Harry Turtledove's Timeline-191 universe of novels. The universe is an Alternate History. In 1862 the Confederate States of America defeated the United States of America. It is an 11 book series chronicling WW1, depression era, WW2 and other with the USA and CSA hated enemies.

It is told from the POV of many characters ranging from politicians, soldiers, normal citizens, etc. He makes sure that you get the story from all sides. Author is known for killing off a POV character at times. You also get POV from some historical characters, like How Few Remain you get POV of a young Teddy Roosevelt and Abe Lincoln. And he can at times be kinda repetitive when it comes to describing his characters.

How Few Remain-prequel

The Great War Trilogy

American Front
    Walk in Hell
    Breakthroughs

American Empire Trilogy

Blood and Iron
    The Center Cannot Hold
    The Victorious Opposition

Settling Accounts Tetralogy

Return Engagement
    Drive to the East
    The Grapple
    In at the Death

17. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Tom Clancy is a must for this list, but then... I dun think any of his work has a small amount of characters. Still, great for Military and Espionage.

And it isnt REALLY Military/Spy shit, but a good book none the less: Jennifer Government by Max Berry. AWESOME book. Hilarious too.

18. The Duke

The Duke Seventh Year

Ahh fantasy, my great passion...
    GUYS BEWARE THIS WILL BE A LONG POST AS I AM DESCIPBING SEVERAL SERIES OF BOOKS AND THEIR MAIN CHARACTERS; IT WILL GO VERY IN DEPTH.

John Ringo: Holy shit this guy is incredible, he is one of the most intense writers I have ever come across, ex army, this guy knows how to do a good military series, he is pure sex, guns, and rock n' roll. His combat scenes bring you into the fight and don't let go, very realistic battle in all senses of the word whether it be his modern combat series(Ghost/Paladin of Shadows(fucking hardcore insane excellent hardcore sweet my favorite)), his fantasy series(Council Wars(fucking holy shit sweet ass)), or his sci-fi series(Legacy of the Aldenata(nazi's get a second chance, but not in the way you expect))(Empire of Man(cool...slug monsters)). Also, he writes sex scenes that most DLP guys would enjoy... AND he puts out like a new book every month all of them great... AND recently hes been putting soundtracks for his books in the rear of the book, which songs for which chapter, really cool since he doesn't focus on just one type of music, he's got whats apropriate for what chapter be it rock(Blue Oyster Cult), classical(Holst Planets), new age(Cruxshadows), country(The Charlie Daniels Band), more rock(he likes the good stuff ACDC/Mettallica/stones/Styx/Manowar) or even in one case Britney Spears which just makes a great chapter fucking hilarious.

Paladin of Shadows: Beware though that Paladin of Shadows is serious strong stomach only, he describes shoving a canister of serin gas into Osama Bin Ladens mouth and then making the guy swallow it... literally; also, he describes the middle-east and eastern Europe in very realistic ways, meaning: snuff houses, corruption, muslim extremists raping co-eds, forced slavery and prostitution in eastern Europe(I'm talking loli's here), torture of said muslim extremists AFTER a sniper wacks a Al-Jazeera correspondent on CNN and FOX while the whole world and the president was watching(I laughed my ass off), U.S. senators and other officials from around the world using said snuff houses, the protagonist(he's rich, has a harem, and shoots terrorists in the knees then feeds them to sharks slowly feet first, whats not to like) of the "Paladin of Shadows" series being a seriously flawed individual(I'm talking rapeing a chick and then saving the pope from being nuked type of flawed). This guy does to Osama Bin Laden what every serious military guy wants to do but does it in a more painful manner...

1ST BOOK DESCRIPTION(GHOST): Former SEAL Michael Harmon, Team Name "Ghost", retired for service injuries, is not enjoying college life. But things are about to change, if not for the better.

When he sees a kidnapping a series of, at the time logical, decisions leave him shot to ribbons and battling a battalion of Syrian commandos with only the help of three naked co-eds who answer to the names “Bambi,” “Thumper” and “Cotton Tail.”

A fast-paced, highly-sexual, military-action thriller that ranges from a poison factory in the Mideast to the Florida Keys to Siberia, the novel will keep you guessing what twisted fate will bring next for the man once known as . . . Ghost. Keep an eye on him or . . . poof, he'll be gone.
    (After this book is where the good shit starts, he becomes a warlord in eastern Europe gets rich of killing Osama AND gets a harem)

Council Wars: Great fantasy series that has a good bit of sci fi mixed in, think Roman centurions fighting genetically engineered orcs and shit, mer-warriors fighting evil whales, and instead of aircraft carriers... dragon carriers. Yet again the main protagonist is flawed in much the same way as Ghost is flawed, he just seems to have better control. Also add to the mix A thousand upon thousand year old super computer formerly known as "the net" that controls everything on the planet, from menstruation to weather. Also because of the last great war that humanity had 10,000 years ago against their own creations(you guessed it: The AI wars) that nearly wiped out humanity, the super computer has made a regulation that stops all explosions over the strength of say... a bottle of that special computer dust removal spray, thats right peeps: no cars, no trains, no coal fire engines, and most importantly no guns. My second favorite series of all the books Ive ever read(My first being Paladin of Shadows).

1ST BOOK DESCRIPTION(There will be Dragons): In the future there is no want, no war, no disease nor ill-timed death. The world is a paradise-and then, in a moment, it ends. The council that controls the Net falls out and goes to war. Everywhere people who have never known a moment of want or pain are left wondering how to survive.

But scattered across the face of the earth are communities which have returned to the natural life of soil and small farm. In the village of Raven's Mill, Edmund Talbot, master smith and unassuming historian, finds that all the problems of the world are falling in his lap. Refugees are flooding in, bandits are roaming the woods, and his former lover and his only daughter struggle through the Fallen landscape. Enemies, new and old, gather like jackals around a wounded lion.

But what the jackals do not know is that while old he may be, this lion is far from death. And hidden in the past is a mystery that has waited until this time to be revealed. You cross Edmund Talbot at your peril, for a smith is not all he once was. . . .

Empire of Man: Yet another great series, I've read each book in the series many times and I still can't get enough, very cool action, and there is no graphic sex like in the first two series' that i mentioned. The action goes from 1 man with a sword and his pistol, to a squad with shields and spears AND heavy laser cannons, to company size battles, and even descriptions of full on sieges. Human marines fighting with and against the froglike natives of the planet that they crashlanded on.

1ST BOOK DESCRIPTION(March Upcountry): Roger Ramius Sergei Chiang MacClintock didn't understand.

He was young, handsome, athletic, an excellent dresser, and third in line for the Throne of Man ... so why wouldn't anyone at Court trust him?

Why wouldn't even his own mother, the Empress, explain why they didn't trust him? Or why the very mention of his father's name was forbidden at Court? Or why his mother had decided to pack him off to a backwater planet aboard what was little more than a tramp freighter to represent her at a local political event better suited to a third assistant undersecretary of state?

It probably wasn't too surprising that someone in his position should react by becoming spoiled, self-centered, and petulant. After all, what else did he have to do with his life?

But that was before a saboteur tried to blow up his transport. Then warships of the Empire of Man's worst rivals shot the crippled vessel out of space. Then Roger found himself shipwrecked on the planet Marduk, whose jungles were full of damnbeasts, killerpillars, carnivorous plants, torrential rain, and barbarian hordes with really bad dispositions. Now all Roger has to do is hike halfway around the entire planet, then capture a spaceport from the Bad Guys, somehow commandeer a starship, and then go home to Mother for explanations.

Fortunately, Roger has an ace in the hole: Bravo Company of Bronze Battalion of The Empress' Own Regiment. If anyone can get him off Marduk alive, it's the Bronze Barbarians.

Assuming that Prince Roger manages to grow up before he gets all of them killed.
    (Begining is slow but you get 3-5 chapters in and you'll see what I mean about cool book)

Legacy of the Aldenata: I have not fully completed reading this series yet but I'm on my way... It is science fiction war completely(Also allot of politics and subterfuge between the allies but I'm not good at describing that). Earth gets invaded and 2/3 of the population gets eaten(really) by alien critters. The war goes on over a period of many years with the human race systematically running out of time as their soldiers slowly dwindle away... There is allot more to the story and the series involves before the invasion, when the humans are actually out in the space cruisers and star ships battling it out and on planets systematically being taken over by the aliens, then it describes the invasion of earth and our major defeats and retreats until it ends up with us entrenched and barely holding on(WW1 style) while out in space or allies(also aliens) are fighting to get to earth and help us. The series goes through our eventual retaking of the Earth and then a really sweet ass thing occurs... the author shifts out of the North American setting at the end of the retaking of Earth and goes over to Europe at the very beginning of the war, Germany. Guess which government wasnt ready for the war... the chancellor realizes that they need better soldiers as the past governments of Germany became pacifistic after WW2 and this had created a sort-of hippy culture where the draftee's were refusing to fight the aliens that were currently destroying North America. So Using the technology given to them by their alien allies before they were cut off at the beginning of the war the new, more hard-right, chancellor does something that makes this book so unbelievable... the chancellor rejuvenates(alien medical tech can turn a body that was aged young and healthy again) the old WW2 veterans... including the former soldiers of the WAFFEN SS.

1ST BOOK DESCRIPTION(A Hymn Before Battle): WITH FRIENDS LIKE THESE . . .

With the Earth in the path of the rapacious Posleen, the peaceful and friendly races of the Galactic Federation offer their resources to help the backward Terrans—for a price.

Humanity now has three worlds to defend.

As Earth's armies rush into battle and special operations units scout alien worlds, the humans begin to learn a valuable lesson: You can protect yourself from your enemies, but may the Lord save you from your allies.
    (I haven't read the first 2 books in the series, I started at the third where the aliens had already been on Earth for five years)

7TH BOOK DESCRIPTION(Watch on the Rhine): In the dark days after the events in the book Gust Front(second book, where the invasion "begins"), but before the primary invasion, the Chancellor of Germany faces a critical decision. Over the years, with military cutbacks, the store of experienced military personnel had simply dwindled. After the destruction of Northern Virginia(much of U.S. military destroyed), he realized that it was necessary to tap the one group he had sworn never, ever, to recall(rejuvenate): the few remaining survivors of the Waffen SS.

Watch On the Rhine is perhaps the most unbiased, and brutal, look at the inner workings of the Waffen SS in history. Meticulously researched, it explores all that was good, and evil, about the most infamous military force in history using the backdrop of the Posleen invasion as a canvas.(This is actually very true, there is a lot of history in this book: tank and infantry battles of the SS, great WW2 victories and defeats of the SS... there is also the description of the concentration camps by SS members who had been stationed in them and "enjoyed" their stay, especially the decriptions of the ones who got stationed at the womans camps.(This book describes both types of men who joined the elite Waffen SS: The patriots who just wanted to fight for their country and people in the most elite and battle hardened unit in the German war machine... and those who joined because they actually believed Hitler, the actual full-on evil ones who zealously hated all forms of person who wasn't blond haired and blue eyed.)

THE AUTHORS WEB-SITE, YOU CAN FIND DESCRIPTIONS FOR EVERY BOOK IN EVERY SERIES AND ALSO FOR SEVERAL OF HIS BOOKS THAT ARN'T IN A SERIES: www.johnringo.com

THE END, I HOPE YOU FOUND MY EXTREMLY LONG POST ENLIGHTENING AND FOUND A GOOD SERIES OF BOOKS TO READ!!!!

P.S. The only reason I wrote this is cause I'm an insomniac and have been up all fucking night.

19. Novamute

Novamute Third Year

I would definately recommend the Codex Alera series. I found it to be a great fantasy series that doesn't fall in to the elves and fairies tropes that seem to abound in this genre. Pick it up if you like Butcher's work or if you want something new and different to read.

20. The Duke

The Duke Seventh Year

Read my post in the "Need help selecting a new series" thread, John Ringo is the man...