1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Turn Me Loose: A Harry Potter Adventure by JBern - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by jbern, Sep 1, 2007.

1. Lincos

Lincos Professor DLP Supporter

4.5/5 coz no fic really could get full marks :p

Like the first and have been wanting to read this.
    Battle scenes are good
    Magic explinations are great.
    2nd Person view, original

2. Raggerd

Raggerd First Year DLP Supporter

"Apparition takes a good deal of energy – it leaves most people weak and prevents casting the really powerful spells"

Something I hadn't noticed from the battle between Chilotha and Harry in Bungle in the jungle.

Besides that, excellent intro into the sequel. Although it feels kind of rushed with all the stuff you crammed into the first chapter.

3. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

Jim MAY kill me for revealing this, but I'm not going to reveal much, and I figure someone should. Also, I'd like to see some excitement.

Anyway, I can tell you definitively that Harry is NOT simply more "aware," of the wards then before. They felt different for a very real, concrete reason.

BEGIN DEBATE!

P.S. Story rocks. I'm excited to see more. I'll review later. But I dig this story. I'm pumped to see where Jim takes this baby.

4. Gullible

Gullible Headmaster

Sitting in front of a broken compooter, lolololol
    Something to do with his achievement of Clarity, maybe mixed with the demon blood he swallowed.

Maybe the demon blood gives him a smaller version of the nullifying effect that the demon had, so him sensing the wards is actually his 'gift' attempting to nullify them and in doing so brings his attention to it.

Ohhh, speculation, speculation.

5. Wergan

Wergan Third Year

Could be that he is no longer a full human *cough cough* so the wards are reacting to his non-human presence. Kinda like if he were a werewolf.

6. Alayna

Alayna Second Year

The demon blood is changing him so the wards want to reject a danger to the children. But that would not really work with canon where basically everything and everybody can enter.

Or Dumbledore added a ward specially to react for Harry. And then he can say that it reacts to his "dark" nature and confirm what he said about the reaction of Fawkes. Not that it will work of course, but it could be a possibility. Dumbledore would have to hide that specific ward very well as Harry is a journeyman. But as he didn't know that beforehand...

Or it could be that it senses Animagi?

7. The Duke

The Duke Seventh Year

Great job man, really cool.

8. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Whats gonna be updated next?

9. telmah

telmah Guest

frickin' awesome chapter! Great fight scene at the airport. The Ambassador Potter was an interesting twist, I look forward to seeing what a pain in Harry's a** it ends up being, but 36 fighters at your command should be helpful...

Hack's powers are intriguing, I am picturing a flying, house-elf sized troll and chuckling ( 'cause I don't giggle of course) - and did you just suggest that Hack may be Harry's familiar? Chuckling more... (but not giggling).

Katie vs Luna mud wrestling... Harry has to at least suggest it...

Thank you for sharing your time and talent with us.

10. Zield

Zield Fourth Year

The only thing I didn't particularly like about this was how Harry all of the sudden "walks the walk and talks the talk" with all of the political double speak and innuendos and deals and such. That makes me a tad weary since a lot of independent stories do that as well and it's kind of annoying. Though at least we know this Harry does have a good deal of experience to back this up. But wasn't it only like the last chapter of Bungle where the Goblin and the Brazilians were making a deal and harry had no idea what was going on? It's a little hard to believe he's now that seasoned in the 3-4 weeks between that meeting and the ones in this chapter.

For those of you who haven't seen it(Dranco) Jim posted this schedule on FFA.

TFtCD 38 Next Week
    TFtCD 39 Following Week
    TML 2 Week after that
    TFtCD 40 and Epilogue 4 weeks from now
    Lie I've Lived 8 - 5 weeks out

11. Niffler Lord

Niffler Lord Headmaster

Well I got the impression that the weeks between his meeting with the Goblins and his return to England were spent partly with the bigwigs in Brazil. Perhaps he learned some things from them. A crash course in Politics perhaps?

The wards... I'm partial to the wards reacting to his demon blood argument myself. Same reason as the Fawkes. Thought now that I think about it it should react just as strongly to Hack...

Its hard to think on that really. Jim has a tendency to come up with something out of left field and have a hell of a good reason for it.

I guess I'll take the unusual route. The wards reacted as they usually do to any student only, Harry being a Journeyman Cursebreaker is more aware of the wards than a student... The fact that he was semi-conscious could have helped greatly in his ability to sense the magic.

12. malaga

malaga Auror

This is my new favourite line, from any story. It made me cackle so hard that my friends looked at me oddly, and my science teacher gave me detention. Yeah, thanks for that.

My suggestion for why the wards can be felt by Harry is the same as most, it has to do with the demon blood. Maybe Hack got freaky external demon traits, while Harry got some freaky internal stuff happening.

13. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

Giving credit where credit is due, the line was actually suggested by Draco664. I'll let him know that you suffered detention. Be careful about reading in school there.

As for coming out of left field, you'll have to let me know what you think when you read chapter 2.

Jim

14. The Mysterious Nobody

The Mysterious Nobody Auror

I'll confess that I hadn't read "Bungle in the Jungle" until yesterday. Man, I wished I had sooner.

One of the best and most entertaining fics out there, and an awesome read. I thank you for the good time.

(But near the end, I got a bit pissed at your Luna, going all PMS on Harry and lashing out at him at every opportunity she had)

I'm glad you're continuing the story with this sequel. So keep some slaver close with a whip in case you stop typing...

As for the demon blood I'm quite keen of the theory in which he gained certain abilities from it, but I'll have to wait and see.

I don't know what I want to see first, though. An update on "The Lie I've Lived" or this one...

15. Vtigo

Vtigo Second Year

Dude I just finished your chapter then started your fic The Lie I've Lived for the first time. All I can say is omfg you need to update all three now and you are a god of fanfiction.

16. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

This has an easy answer. Turn me loose should be updated first.

And why is this even still in the For Review section? Unless Jim completely loses his head or gets turned into a Harry and Ginny forever fangirl by the evil fairies of fangirl land, I highly doubt that this will not be worthy of the Independent section.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2007
  17. AbyssalDaemon

AbyssalDaemon First Year

Something that I'm curious about is that in the HBP Harry knew that Draco was up to something and while this version of Harry doesn't have the chance of getting suspicious of Draco for the same reasons that his cannon version did, Draco isn't all that good at hiding things especially from a Harry Potter as suspicious as this one is.

So is there any chance of Draco ending up lying dead in ditch somewhere before the year ends?

18. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Quote for Truth.

19. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

There's something we call someone who posts the above, Vash.

A HATER!

Whoever wrote that is the same sort of coward who A.) Doesn't have the stones to actually put his name out there and back up his opinions, B.) Is too stupid to support his arguements with fact and reasonable, pointed critique, and C.) Is the sort of dipshit who despises things that are popular and liked BECAUSE they are popular and liked, and without any other reason, well thought or otherwise.

Thank God you didn't write it, eh Vash!

HILARIOUS!! Comedic Genius whoever wrote that! Watch out folks, we've got the next Bill Hicks on our hands!

EDIT: Because I know how much you like it let me throw these out there: LOL.

EDIT 2: Also, anyone who believes this fic will be good after only one chapter, YOU ARE A MORON. Just because this fic follows EXACTLY the same situation, characters, is written in the same style, and has the same team behind it IS NO REASON to have ANY expectations or like it. NONE. Those of you who like one shots, despite being one chapter only, ARE idiots.

:In case you can't tell, "EDIT 2" is meant to be read DRIPPING with sarcasm.:

Later, Gator!

Chuck ;)

Last edited: Sep 3, 2007
  20. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

I feel a jbern and company vs. The Mob as yet un-named coming on.

DLP is nothing if not cyclical. We just got off RC vs DLP now it's jbern vs...well usually it's Bio.

What I am sad about is where is all the Kinsfire vs DLP stuff! Cycles are supposed to repeat themselves damnit!

I know Vash to be staunchly against fabrication and placing drug packets for false evidence. It's really like a rule with him. I believe that person really was 'nameremovedlolo'

Have faith Chuck. -Gives Chuck small green bibles-

Last edited: Sep 3, 2007