1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

FanFiction Pet Peeves

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Levi, May 3, 2005.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

yeah.. i remember that fic.. i didnt like it..

harry most certainly ISNT going to give away anything his family owns... im of the opinion that he loves and respects his mother more than he does his father at this point, so that just makes it doubly unlikely.. he, at the moment as i see it, sees his dad as a sort of arrogant ignorant bully, in much the same way dudley is, and given his relationship with dudley, that doesnt fly well with harry...

now for the slightly off topic thought that wont go away...

what form do you thnk youd have if you were an animagus?

myself.. i think id be a fox...

im more of a slytherin myself, but im not the loner type... well not really... and i can be vicious when i need to or cute and cuddly when it calls for it (though i try to avoid that as much as possible >__>)

2. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Polar bear or panther.

just because all the people who would eventually answer this question would prolly say : lions, snakes, wolves, phoenies, griffins.

I wanna be different =)

3. BlackPhoenix

BlackPhoenix Second Year

hmmm have to think about the animagus

My ultimate pet peeve is Song-fics or fanfiction with music/lyrics in it. Those just annoy me to no end and take out of the story. Its just a way to add more words to your word count.

4. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

I agree with that. A lot of people cried bloody murder when ff.net essentially banned songfics. I applauded.

5. nightangel960

nightangel960 Fifth Year

that was wrong.. alot of my favorite fics were taken down cause of that

6. Antivash

I dont necesasrily thing theyre BAD... but only if incredibly well written and the lyrics arent 90 % of the content

7. Midknight

EXACTLY!!!!

I've read several fics that, once the lyrics were taken out, were maybe a few pages long. The ideas were there, there was potential, but why the hell they feel the need to create a song fic, or just randomly insert musical lyrics into the middle of places that didn't belong made no sense to me.

I don't want to read about Harry the "Cutter" humming Linkin Park's "Numb" to himself. Where the song itself takes up 3/4 of the chapter with small dialogue, and then another 10% of it's author replies. It's corny, distateful, and fricking stupid, sorry.

8. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

i just skip the songs

9. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Same here, i just skip the songs because i cant be bothered reading em. I would rather read the story.

10. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Well, this isn't really a peeve, but just a little annoyance:

Harry quitting the Quidditch team. I know that most authors who do this are trying to give Harry more time to train, but this is the thing that he loves most. Like in the first task of the Triwizard Tournament, Harry lost all the fear and stress he had been feeling as soon as he took off into the air. It's an outlet for him, and I believe that he needs it.

11. Midknight

Ah i'm on the oppisite end here.

I personally hate any story that focuses heavily on matches, or even include more then a few sparse sentences for it.... I've seen stories that have multiple games, or even multiple chapters, taking up tons of space for what always winds up being a Griff win, with some assbackwards, death defying way for Harry to snag the snitch.

To me, his outlet would turn from catchying a snitch to beating the crap out of death eaters and Voldie.

12. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

True, a lot of fics try to dictate the match to us, and usually do it horribly. But they can easily just say something like, "Gryffindor had won the last match against Slytherin." or something to that extent.

13. Midknight

Yeah I agree.

I don't mind maybe.. hmm half a chapter, like 3-4K words tops, describing the match, something going on at the same time other then the match, and then the cliche ending where Harry wins it all.

But it's just went they get into a play by play, and start describing the whole season up until that point where it kills me.

14. Lord_Slytherin

Lord_Slytherin Third Year

Well, one thing that really gets me is . . . pranks.

The story will be going along nicely, then all of a sudden the author will devote 70% of each chapter to Harry ‘discovering his Marauder side’ and performing the most inane, most repetitive, most humorless pranks imaginable. At which stage I leave an impolite review and hit the back button.

15. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Gotta admit thou, some people can right a good prank. I forget names thou... damn.

16. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

i just skip them

17. Antivash

ive seen a few good and a whole company of bad ones... its to the point now that i despise the mauraders! .. curse their infernal name to hades and back!

'sides.. if harry aint started pranking now.. with the weasley twins influence and all.. he aint ever.. lets get over it people! >_<

18. Midknight

I gotta agree on the pranks.

Theres the arguably most powerfully evil man in centuries out for his blood, he's the only one who can kill him.

And instead of training, he'd rather turn Snapes hair pink, screw Ginny, and become a phoenix animagus.

*holds gun to own forehead*

19. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Yes, i'm really sick of people making Harry a phoenix animagus. In fact, i'm sick of everyone making him have any time of magical creature as his animal or gives him like five bloody forms.

Harry should just have one form and it should be non-magical. A bird of prey or something... like an Eagle, a Falcon, a woodpecker........

20. Midknight

Something reallllly stupid so he wouldn't bother.

My Harry is not becoming an Animagus.

He is asked if he wants to try during training, and replies with "What the hell for? Clawing someone's eyes out is alot harder then slicing their neck off with a spell or sword"

Not open for further replies.