1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete A Second Chance at Life Series by Miranda Flairgold - T/M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by ChuckDaTruck, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Humbolt

Humbolt Seventh Year

Sree it said that Fred and George gave him a knife right here:

However it never says why the Order didn't send a member or two back with him.

2. Cosmo4

Cosmo4 Third Year

He couldn't cast the cruciatus because he didn't know how. Merely attempting to cast it means he had the mindset to want to torture someone.

He didn't kill Pettigrew because he was 13. He was willing to turn him over to the dementors though and some say that is worse than death.

Given the proper tools I'd guess he could kill someone if he needed to.

3. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

It's been a whole, hard year since the DoM cruciatus failure. He's had time to think about how hesitance and lack of ruthlessness contributed to Sirius's death.
    Canon!Harry would have charged in to save Petunia and (because the Dark Lord was the only one who could kill him) successfully killed the assassin. Canon!Harry would have walked away with another scar, no information, a warning (at least) from the Ministry, Petunia dead and the cops messily involved, and ended up at the Burrow, where he would have been pressured into marrying Ginny, another year at Hogwarts, becoming poster boy for the Ministry, and more and more and more slander.
    I'm GLAD that Harry is OOC. Canon!Harry is an embarrassing whiney brat.

4. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Hard year? What's happened to him for a year? The only bad thing that happened was at the very end of the year when Dumbledore died. Other than that, the whole year was filled with monsters in his chest, Ron/Lavender, a jealous Hermione, and a paranoid Harry about Malfoy. Wow, so difficult.

And your point about Fred and George giving him a knife? That's in this story, not canon. My original point still stands, why the fuck does he have a knife?

And he didn't cast the Cruciatus because he didn't really want to cause another human being pain at the time. Not because he didn't cast it correctly, or anything else, because even then his morals stood in the way. They got broken down after everything that happened to him in book 7, but the beginning of the story is set in the summer, before anything had happened to him.

5. Humbolt

Humbolt Seventh Year

To answer your question Dues ex Machina. The author needed a weapon to threaten the assassin with so she used a knife.

6. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

I do think that Harry actually *wearing* a knife in a hidden sheathe around the house is not reasonable. When I have a knife, it's a folding Swiss Army knife in my pocket, and not in the building. Doing yardwork, tending outdoor animals, maybe. On the other hand, a house (particularly a basement) tends to be FULL of improvisational weapons. Actually, a screwdriver or a pair of pliers could have been just as scary. I'll have a happy moment thinking about things to do with Bellatrix and a soldering iron.

What I remember most about Book6 has very little to do with Ginny. I remember Katie Bell being cursed so badly she ended up at St.Mungo's for months. I remember Ron coming THAT close to dying of poison. I remember Harry finally coming to understand Potions. Harry spent most of the year trying to get someone to listen to him about Draco's strange behavior. Even his friends, who had always paid attention to him before, made no secret of their disdain for his observations. I remember Snape still being a jerk but actually managing to teach defense.

I remember Dumbledore forcing Harry to keep feeding the old man poison, even though he begged for him to stop.

Ginny? Oh she was in there somewhere.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2008
  7. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

So? None of those things happened to Harry. He didn't have a tough year at all until the very end. And dear lord, Ron took a love potion from a stupid cunt. The horror, the never ending horror.

What has he gone through the last 5 years?

1st Year: Had to come to terms with the fact he was a wizard and his aunt and uncle had been lying to him his whole life, then go away to a place he knows nothing about, and where he knows no one, yet everyone seems to know him. Then there was that troll incident with Hermione, and then finding Fluffy. And then of course, the end of the year where he actually went face to face with Voldemort, and won.

2nd Year: Probably one of his worst years ever, with everyone thinking he was the descendant of Slytherin, and was out to kill all muggleborns. To top that off, Lockheart was his professor, and made Harry's life just a little worse everytime he talked to him. Then he had to deal with a crazy house elf, whose idea of helping Harry was to nearly kill him. Then at the end of the year, he fights off a thousand year old basilisk, sees Tom Riddle suck most of the life out of Ginny, and then has to deal with the aftermath.

3rd Year: He finds out the real story behind his parents murder, and how Sirius betrayed them. He also has to deal with the fear of being kicked out of Hogwarts in the beginning of the year. Then, of course, he has to deal with being left out of Hogsmeade while everyone else goes to have a good time. On the side he also has Hagrid's problem of Buckbeak, and then his fight with Hermione over the Firebolt. At the end of the year he had to deal with Sirius and Peter, with Peter escaping at the end and Harry's dreams of living with Sirius therefore shattered.

4th Year: Probably the worst year out of all of them, because of Voldemort's resurrection at the end. But he also had to deal with being shunned by the rest of the school (again), and Ron for a couple of months. He was also worried about Sirius getting caught, and the whole ordeal with the Triwizard Tournament was probably weighing on his mind the whole time. At the end, Cedric dies right in front of him, for no reason other than he was in the wrong place at the wrong time, and it's partially Harry's fault. Then the resurrection of Voldemort, and the subsequent denial of Fudge of Harry's claims probably wasn't too good for him.

5th Year: Had to spend most of the summer with the Dursley's, not knowing what was happening in the wizarding world, and then again having to deal with the fear of getting expelled. During the whole year, he was ignored by Dumbledore, never learned Occlumency from Snape, and was understandably frustrated at Umbridge. Then his Godfather dies at the end of the year, which is almost completely his fault.

6th Year: Um. The war is going on, Katie Bell (someone he doesn't ever talk to out of Quidditch) is injured, Ron is poisoned because of a stupid little girl, and Draco was acting strange. And Dumbledore died in the end. Yes, this school year, compared to the others, is the worst one yet, isn't it?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2008
  8. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

* curls up comfortably *
    Being old enough to realize just how unpleasant Slughorn really was. Feeding poison to AD, then discovering that the Entire Adventure was nothing more than a waste of time and resources to gain a hoax. Watching Draco and Snape kill AD. Failing Miserably at stopping anyone in the battle from the top of the Tower all the way to the Gates.
    Going back to the Dursleys' with this ... stone sitting on his chest.
    It isn't like Harry is all that well-balanced anyway.

9. Cosmo4

Cosmo4 Third Year

No, he didn't find the sadistic pleasure if causing pain to another human, which is why it failed. However, he wanted that curse to work. He wanted her to feel pain.

In any case you are just nitpicking.

You apparently haven't even got past the first section, yet find it completely hopeless.

10. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Yes, because that's how bad it is.

I don't understand you people. "o hai itz teh begining!!1! it getz bettah"

The beginning of any piece of writing, be it an essay, short story, or novel is the most crucial part. That's where you get your chance to captivate your readers, and make them want to continue to read. This fact has been beaten into me all throughout junior high and high school. Your English education must be horrible if you can't realize that simple fact.

11. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

Here's a Harry who is ruthless and alert. NICE change from canon. That you don't like a sixteen-year-old being able to fire a gun, or being frightened and angry enough to hurt someone whom he KNOWS, beyond doubt, is a torturer and murderer and coming for Harry...
    Well, I feel disdain for canon!Harry, and want him dead. Emo brat is dead, Long Live a winner!character.

12. fear-its-self

fear-its-self Looked into the void

Isnt that a bit much?

dont ya think thats a bit much? killing her, now thats more like it.

13. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

::rolls his eyes::

Just because you're satisfied with less than mediocre writing and a disdain for character development, doesn't mean the story is good. In the eyes of a person not afflicted by living in the south and being inbred, this story deserves to be burned. It's an insult to the English language. Though, again, as you're from the South, I assume you're used to that.

14. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Sree if it aint your cup of moonshine then shut the fuck and leave it alone. If folks like it, than aint it their business? Just dont post in the thread anymore. I mean Jesus christ shut the fuck up and move on. You say the same shit everytime. We get the point.

Does Sree hate A Second Chance at Life and its sequel??? Does a bear shit in the woods? Does a one legged duck swim in circles? Does a fat guy love buffets? Does Bill Clinton like blow jobs in the oval office? Does Sree sterotype everyone from the south?

(Hint: That there answer would be yes to all.)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2008
  15. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Dranco: This is a board meant to critique stories. If you can't handle it, kindly get the fuck off. You retarded fucking cunt.

Also, I'll have you know that Sera does not, in fact, like buffets. YOU'RE WRONG.

16. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

One. I wont get off on anything you say.

Two you critiqued it. We get the point. Once again you do the same shit you always do.

Let me see. The next 20 posts by Sree in this thread go by this model.

Example 1: This peice of shit is shit it isnt worth reading.... Etc......

Its deserves to burn in hell. You are retarded fucking cunts for reading this shit.

Example 2: Anyone who disagress gets called a fucking retarded, or a fucking cunt, or some other expression. And then he goes on to say that this site is meant for people to express his opinion.

17. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Nah, I called you a retarded cunt for telling me, a moderator no less, to stop posting in this thread when I'm actually reviewing the fic. Which is the main function of DLP.

But hey, it's understandable that you would think I called you a retarded cunt for liking this story. ;)

And I'm reading the story and pointing out every single thing that is wrong with it. I haven't done that before, so you're bitching about nothing.

And just to make you happy... you're a retarded cunt.

18. Cosmo4

Cosmo4 Third Year

No, we look past its faults because it's fanfiction. It isn't a perfect introduction, it isn't even a good one. However, once you get by that, the story develops rather nicely.

Forgive the abrubt, poor start and try reading the whole thing. You might like it.

19. Humbolt

Humbolt Seventh Year

Well I for one like this piece of fanfiction, and I take it for what it is FANFICTION. When I read a story I don't expect the author to be the next Ernest Hemmingway. Sree, you have every right in the world to critique it, but in my opinion you expect to much. Fanfiction is written by people in their free time, it is not compareable to published works and I don't hold it to the same standards as I do those.

For what it is it is very enjoyable, and I like the fic enough to look past the poorer elements. To agree with Cosmo4 once you get past the admittedly bad intoduction, it is relatively good.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2008
  20. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

And the combat scenes are stellar. All exciting, all different, all creative.