1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

FanFiction Pet Peeves

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Levi, May 3, 2005.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

lol.

Also, another thing that pisses me off. In fics where he is going to become an animagus, his friends all become one as well. Isnt this supposed to be a rare ability?

I mean, there is only 7-8 (registered) animagus in the last 100 years. Include James, Sirius, Peter, and Rita and thats 11-12 or so, plus a few others we wont know about. Im pretty surprised that three of the marudars were able to do it since its supposed to be rare. Meh... sometimes its just so weird...

2. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I've argued that it is written in canon as being rare, and everytime the peanut gallery comes forth with "Wormtail did it soh itz eazy fo sur"

I've covered this one like 6 pages back, lol.

-Friends all become insane strong/animagus/generals

-Harry the magical, multi, godlike animagus!

3. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

why is does harry get godlike power out of nowhere? i mean millions of dark lords includeing voldemort spent their lives on become immortal and all powerful and harry does it in like 3 months with no help or anything i mean even voldemort had a teacher in the dark arts and yet here harry is with all godlike powers....how does dat make sence i ask you?

4. Lord_Slytherin

Lord_Slytherin Third Year

Because Harry is the heir of Gryffindor and Merlin ;)

5. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

lol.

Maybe because its 'Harry's' story and anything goes! :shock:

A good way of making Harry gain godlike powers in his summer holiday would be he somehow crosses into another plane and trains there. 50 years in that plane = 3 months on earth or something... of course he doesnt age either so he can return to school for some reason. Meh... ideas, ideas.

6. Midknight

=Anytime a author writes what could potentially be an awesome AU story...

...but then fugs it up by having to repeat the exact....same...@(*#^@% ed thing that happened in canon, just using their version of Harry instead.

Your AU Harry is a badass vampire? Hm.. he still needs to act like a frightened tool who doesn't know whats going on. He may have slaughtered a werewolf earlier in the story, but in year 1 hes gotta be scared of the troll!

If the authors gonna do fricking AU, don't retrace every godamned step ever taken in canon. It ruins the AU of it, and no matter HOW good the situations of the AU, it ruins the entire story, and makes it nothing more then some weird crap thrown into canon.

7. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

*nods* i agree* too many good AU's ruined that way... ther were a few that had soo much potential .. then they went and completed the jump to SUCK ASS territory by doing that... >_< soo very not cool... i think its mostly the result of a lack of creativity

8. Midknight

25 new stories (to me, and totally new) I read over today.

19 of them spent the entire first chapter recapping who Harry is, that hes a wizard, and he's realllllllllllllly cool.

the other 6 actually got on with the damned point, then either degenerated into slash, boredom, or total crap.

All 25 used various peeves that have been used in this post at one point in time or another, and i'm not talking a few, i'm talking Harry+Ginny + pheonix+ god like power + etc

Once again I ask, don't fricking write if all you can write is cliched garbage!

9. Avitus

Avitus Groundskeeper

I dont so much mind the godlike harry when im bored and there are no good fics...i mean who doesnt want super i-can-blow-up-the-world-farting powers.. I KNOW I DO.... these fics are good for the occasional laugh...but the thing that pisses me off the most about them is when the author decides to make harry friggen zeus re-incarnated and then says right before the final battle...oh btw harry got cancer and now all his power is gone so hes normal again... WTF IS THAT! IF UR GONNA MAKE HIM A GOD LEAVE HIM THAT WAY...damn fools :oops:

10. Antivash

*nods* i like the occasional godlike-potter story for a laugh... but then there is that, or he winds up goign back to school and being a crybaby botch, which has been pointed out many times before... if i had godlike powers... i wouldnt be crying over a guys death, especially when ive only had 3 real conversations with the bastard, id be out hunting their murderer and making them my bitch before i ripped out their intestines and fed them ot said person

11. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

if you had god power you would just be able to bring him back from death

12. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Godlike-Potter isnt too bad for just a quick read when im bored but i hate them when he goes around crying about things. I mean... WTF!

I dont mind TOO much if they AU the CANON a little bit but not heaps. As soon as that happens it gets kinda shitty.

Harry + Ginny + Godlike + ect = just plane wrong, lol.

13. Allowaycar

Allowaycar Second Year

God-Like-Harry isn't so bad, if it is written correctly.

I hate a crying depressed Harry. I believe that the incident with the third task was more taxing on him physically and mentally, yet it didn't cause him to become a whimpering idiot. The death of Sirius shouldn't destroy him, it should make him angry. Angry to the point of wanting to do something about it.

My biggest pet peave as far as fanfiction goes is grammar. Do people honestly expect me to read that large blob of words? People need to learn how to capitalize letters, use comas and periods, and most of all break things down with spaces between paragraphs. I just ignore stories like this, it only shows the ignorance of the writter.

Ironically enough I've seen some post on message boards like this as well. I skip the ignorance there as also.

14. Midknight

Aye, I added a nice section of my sig to the couple people we have that do things like that.

I myself am guilty of using some shorthand, like ppl, or rofl/lol, simply out of how fast I type. In a story, or in a message board reply, when you have ALL the time in the world to reply, having a story/post infested with typos so bad it looks like a dyslexic retarded monkey wrote it, is inexcusable.

Wen peple right tings like dis, it maks my I's bled. werd.

Even a non english speaker can tell that sentence does not look correct. Another peeve of mine is non-english speakers that try to post in english so broken McGuyver couldn't fix it. At one point in time, it may of been considered a hassle for someone to learn english, but at this point in time, it is THE buisness transaction language in the world, the language spoken most widely in the civilized word, with dialects of Arabic/Chinese coming in next.

Plenty of free translators that work decently enough to cover a small block of reply text.

Another bad thing, is when the author DOES use correct format for typing, but forget to put a space in between paragraphs. In books, with small pages and text, it's not hard to keep reading without a problem. On a PC monitor however, add a blank line inbetween each paragraph/sentence, otherwise it just all runs together.

15. Antivash

Yeah.. ill admt im guilty of bad grammer ect... i try to take the time to corrent what i catch in my fics, but in message boards... i only really try to keep it spelled correct and readable..

dont really capitalize, im lazy, sue me..

16. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

i dont mind it as mmuch since i'm bad at spelling but puncations is needed.

any another thing that maked me made are these shadow abillity that he somehow gets.i read fics where he can travel through shadow and he can become a living shadow or something along those lines. i can barely stand them.

17. Midknight

I usually don't bother with correct capitilazation, until recently, when writing Traitor's I had to go back and fix like 40298282 billion names. Now I try to becareful, lol.

Yeah that falls under the one I mentioned earlier, where he's the first in 29838967329873 years in his family line to inhert this demonic power one of his ancestors had. I've heard of stuff skipping generations, but jesus.

Same deal with Lily being a pureblood, of a line only males could inherit into. Not having a male child in 1,000+ years is not only statistically mind boggling, i'm sure someone along the line could do a damned gender swap spell or something ya know?

18. Midknight

19. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Peeve: anything that really goes out of the ordinary on the story. Look at Shadow Play by Thor Nadia. A rather good story, up until lately he writes Harry as this secret wizarding getaway where he meets "Raine" and a few others. Not an expert, but isn't Raine some anime character?

Also another peeve: ANIME CHARACTERS ARE NOT HERMIONE'S PARENTS. Bleh!

20. Midknight

Demonic Harry, with anime characters going after her, while he's shagging Hermione.

Thats gotta rank on the top 10 worst stories of all time, lol thank god it got taken down from FF

Not open for further replies.