1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Flying Squad Universe by Horst Pollman - PG13/R - HP/CC

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by radioactive, Feb 3, 2006.

1. radioactive

radioactive Third Year

Title: Harry Potter and the Flying Squad
    Author: Horst Pollman
    Genre: Action, Suspense
    Rating: T (PG-13)
    Pairings: Harry/Cho Hermione/Viktor Remus/OC Ron/OC
    Summary: Fifth year in Hogwarts. Even before terms start, Harry is involved in the defence against an evil attack from the Dark Forces, something which later will be called 'The Hogwarts Express Accident' ... In Hogwarts, many things are different - most of all, the joining of all four Quidditch teams in the 'Flying Squad', for patrol and exploration services. For Harry, this looks like a path toward Cho Chang, except that - well, maybe this should really be left to the story itself ... At any rate, expect Giants, Goblins, and house-elves to play their roles in this fic - as well as some new characters.
    Link: http://www.fictionalley.org/authors/horst_pollmann/HPATFS01.html

Title: Harry Potter and the Magical Tours
    Rating: M (R)
    Summary: Sixth year in Hogwarts. However, before reaching Hogwarts again, Harry encounters his four-weeks' seminar with a Japanese Zen master - as a formative experience for him, as well as for his crusade against Voldemort. Back in school, it looks as if Harry can spend his time with classes, Cho, Quidditch, and his friends - except maybe not in that order. After all, the Dark Forces should be lying low, after their defeat in the Battle of Hogwarts. Unfortunately, they don't ...
    Link: http://www.fictionalley.org/authors/horst_pollmann/HPATMT01.html

Title: Harry Potter and the Thunderstruck Muggles
    Summary: Seventh year in Hogwarts. Harry's year without Cho around. Shouldn't be a problem for him, after all, he can Apparate. Only ... So, without distractions from this side, and with Voldemort nowhere seen, Harry can concentrate on his schoolwork as it condenses in three challenging projects. However, soon enough some new challenges arise, and suddenly schoolwork has to do with some Muggles. And one can't help thinking that, somewhere in the background, a well-known gnomish figure is pulling the strings ...
    Link: http://www.fictionalley.org/authors/horst_pollmann/HPATTM01.html

Title: The High Priestess
    Summary: Five years after Hogwarts. Harry and Cho are married, and yes - they have the child a former dark wizard wanted to claim for himself. However, it's no son. Cho is a successful business woman, building an enterprise together with her co-owners and former Hogwarts teachers Sylvie Hooch and Jesamine Grubbly-Plank. Harry, on the other hand, is a happy house-husband. This peaceful scene is suddenly disturbed by events which, at first sight, raise the memory of dark times and dark wizards. Soon, however, it becomes obvious that the origin of these events must be something else. A fic with many of the characters known from the previous books, plus some new characters, each of them with their own role in the plot.
    Link: http://www.fictionalley.org/authors/horst_pollmann/THP01.html

Title: Presents from the Past
    Summary: Thirteen years after Hogwarts. Eight years have passed since the last time we saw our heroes. The number of children walking or crawling through the scene has grown from three to more than a dozen. And some of them are in the focus of attention - this way or the other ... Harry and Cho moved from California to Ireland. One of the reasons was to have the same time zone as Paris, where some other people are found, and some other children. However, it's their old place where the first dark clouds appear ... A fic most of the characters known from the previous one - well, except for all these shorties somewhere between ten months and eleven years ...
    Link: http://www.fictionalley.org/authors/horst_pollmann/PFTP01.html

I found this around the same time I found 'Anima Summa' and I still keep a copy on my harddrive, just in case. A warning: a lot of things in these stories are contrary to what we know even from GoF cannon, but it makes up for inconsistencies by an amazing plot, originality (in my opinion) and very little restrictions. For example in two of the stories the Harry/Cho couple becoms a trio (OFC in both cases) and although we don't see anything NC17, details are not spared. And yes, its post-GoF AU.

EDIT: Oops, forgot to put links... :oops:

2. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

3. radioactive

radioactive Third Year

Meh. It's funny enough at times to make me overlook some... unsavory moments. Besides, so much effort has to be acknowledged.

Spoiler:

"What's wrong with me?" Snape touched his head. "Did I grow a third ear?"
    A Slytherin answered. "No, sir ... You look normal."
    "But you don't," replied Snape. "To me it feels as if today I could say, Jump out of the window, and you would - even deep in this dungeon."

EDIT: Not my day, I can't seem to use even sipmle copy/paste anymore...

4. bornagainpenguin

bornagainpenguin DLP Archivist

[groans] Why me, Lord?

[voice from the heavens:] Because you volunteered?

Yes, Sir! [starts downloading the fics]

--bornagainpenguin

PS: I love the de-FF.net-izer, but I wish someone would make one that would work on all the other Fanfic sites too... Trying to use various other clients tend to result in doing a grab on an entire site... ;(

5. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Hah! Good luck with this one. Only the first part can be downloaded with a script. The others have that accursed "M" rating warning and have to be downloaded manually, page by page.

(PS If you manage it, I'd still like a copy :))

6. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

I've read these naturally...well, the first three anyway. They're okay, but my two major complaints:

1) Cho acts way too bitchy in these fics. I mean, everybody knows Harry/Cho is my fave pairing, but no way in Hell would I put ever up with this girl's caustic attitude were I in Harry's shoes. She's especially bad in the third one where she screws around with some bozo in the States just because she 'wants to know how it's like with another guy.' I'da dumped her so quick her head would be spinning.

2) Author makes Voldemort out to be a complete and total pussy. He owns Harry in the graveyard in canon and a mere year later he can't even lay a decent hit on him in their battle, and loses both his wand and his snake. Riiiiiiight.

7. radioactive

radioactive Third Year

Eh, did I mention that I actually have all five fics on files? If anyone's lazy to download them, I can eazily ZIP-n-send by e-mail. No post-processing, but they have the old FictionAlley format, which was lightweight...

Serapheth, read the last two. I agree, the third showed a very bitchy Cho, but she levels out after a few years. Besides, Harry becomes super-powerful in these fics, as shown in some Quidditch scene wehere he could evaluate trajectories on-the-fly.

8. DGD

DGD Headmaster

9. bornagainpenguin

Sure, np-- Here ya go:
    [ http://rapidshare.de/files/12489915..._Squad_Series_for_DarkLordPotter.net.rar.html ]

Have fun!

Note: This isn't intergrated at ALL. I just downloaded them as is to folders named after the 'book' title.

Yeah I did them the old fashioned manual individual download... [groans theaterically]

Wha--? But..but...that's not fair!
    [cries for real]

--bornagainpenguin (who named the file as he did in the hopes that someone will do a search in Google and find the file, thus finding their way here)

10. radioactive

radioactive Third Year

Meh, your copy's not bad, but a tad overwheight. Loads slower and has more files per chapter... still, I don't have any place to host so tough luck to me.

11. radioactive

radioactive Third Year

:( what gives?

12. bornagainpenguin

Well like I said I grabbed them manually at 'save as a webpage w/all files' in Firefox, so I didn't expect them to be ultra compact or anything, especially since I have absolutely no interest in trying to manually hack the files sizes down given all the work I spent on the DLP.net FFA Archive version 1.0beta the last few days. And yes I am aware that the archive can be slimmed down more and I intend to get to it eventually--but I'm hoping someone can give me advice on how to automate:

A) slimming a local hardcopy of a series.

B) quickly change all colors to match the ones used on DLP.net--I find that black text on white background begins to hurt my eyes after awhile these days.

C) quickly add a small 'next chapter' 'previous chapter' link at the top and bottom of each page.

D) add a 'Title of story, author name, chapter number to each file in the directory.

Otherwise as I said in that thread things will likely stay as they are with perhaps adding a link on each author's name leading to their current address on the web if such exists.

Eh... If you don't mind broken links on the page, here is the same archive but without the images or scripts and whatever else would get saved in the folders...

[ http://rapidshare.de/files/12492336...es_for_DarkLordPotter.net.__slimmer_.rar.html ]

There and if that's not good enough, I'm sure we'd all love to see your archive posted to rapidshare.de ..I mean why not, its free?

--bornagainpenguin

13. radioactive

radioactive Third Year

Hm, the only way to automate such edits is to figure out how to recognize story begin within the HTML file and the write a PERL script to hack off everything else. Pity I can't do PERL at all, otherwise it's a good coding challenge. Same would work for color/links, but again - I can't do it. Let me see if I can upload my copy, if you plan to work on this later it would save a lot of work.

14. radioactive

radioactive Third Year

Meh. Can't figure this rapidshare thing out. Am I stupid?

15. bornagainpenguin

:wall: Are you serious?

01) go to http:\\www.rapidshare.de

02) click the browse button, navigate to wherever the zipped\rar'd\archived file is, select it and click the upload button

03) wait for the thing to upload.

04) once its finished it'll popup a message telling you it uploaded the file and providing two links, one is to share the download, the other is to kill the download from the server. You want the link that shares the file with the rest of us.

05) start a new post or edit the old one and paste the link you want to share to the group.

06) realize that if no one downloads after a month the link will die due to lack of activity since we're using the free account.

--bornagainpenguin (who hoped that helped)

PS: I'd like to eventually do some kind of autoformatting on the html files that would make all the stuff I've archived compatible with our motif and ready to have an index page made so the whole kit and kaboodle can be sahred more effectively. If not, then I'll just be sure to backup monthly and try my best to keep the size down and my archives available for when FF.not goes on a rampage or some emo decides to stop sharing his or her already written works with the world due to some sudden attempt at maturity or attempt to eliminate evidence of their 'early' work...

16. radioactive

radioactive Third Year

Naturally, it would prove to be simplicity itself. Chalk it up to me having a cold. here's the link: hpollmann.rar

17. bornagainpenguin

Heh.. that'll do it to ya everytime!

--bornagainpenguin (downloading now)

PS: [blinks] My archive was smaller without the images but obviously notas clean...hmmm...

PPS: No ####ing way... :O_O: No wonder you were on my ass about it! That's a serious bloat in code!!! Makes you wonder WTF they added to that site besides the new headers?

PPPS: Hmmm...I repacked it at: 1.32MBs Damn... that's some &%$# up coding there... I could send it back to you if you prefer to keep your stuff RAR'd for file space purposes?

18. radioactive

radioactive Third Year

Thanks, but I don't see any reason. I keep everything uncompressed, in case I decide to read something. On the codesize issue, I think the newer version has the capability to change fontsize. I could be wrong but it would certainly explain the difference.

19. bornagainpenguin

OMFG... I'm no coder but it takes and extra 111.8kbs of html to do fontsizes???

New format - HPATFS01.html = 130 KB

Old Format - FS01.html = 18.2 KB

Jesus! something ain't right with this picture...

--bornagainpenguin

20. radioactive

radioactive Third Year

Eh. Beats me, the most I can grow a HTML file is by saving it from M$ Word: 19K -> 25K or the like. The new Fiction Alley is obiously a technological prodigy. I'll try to play with it for a bit, see what comes out.