1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Potter Law | December 22, 2007

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BioPlague, Dec 23, 2007.

1. Lorelei of the Sea

Lorelei of the Sea Unspeakable

New one: There are no translation spells. Nor are there potions that make it easier to learn languages or books that imprint the knowledge of Mandarin Chinese in your mind or a magical stone of Linguistic Skillz. If there were, Fudge wouldn't have had all that trouble in GoF with the Bulgarians, Fleur wouldn't need to work on her English, and Crouch Sr. and Dumbledore knowing all those languages wouldn't be nearly as cool.

2. Nefar

Nefar Seventh Year

I understand where you're coming from, but translation magic would be an acceptable addition to a fanfic, assuming its not made out to be all powerful or super easy - essentially, as long as the usage is reasonable and not very plot-important. After all, we know magic can be cast upon language (the Taboo).

-Fudge: is not portrayed as a talented wizard. Plus, despite the fact that he met witha foreign head of state, Rowling clearly didn't think the politics of the meeting had been worked out before-hand, nor even really aranged to an appreciable extent, so there wasn't any chance for magical translation experts to be there.
    -Fleur: is a student. And did you miss the real reason she wanted 'to work on her English'... with Bill... alone?
    -Crouch and Dumbledore: their linguistic knowledge could be cool because there is no translation magic, or because they took the effort to learn so many languages despite the easier way availible.

Although I repeat: I do know where you're coming from. The potential for abuse is high.

3. peregrine1989

peregrine1989 Third Year

I don't care I just posted here recently, this must be said. I read this in a story and it has almost destroyed it.

Rule###

Peter Pettigrew also known as Wormtail, is a coward and only deserves death. It shall not be discovered he was tricked, had the Imperius Curse cast on him or had his memory modified. He shall never be redeemed.

Super Harry exception- In a story where Harry is over powered Peter MUST try to get on Harry's good side. It makes no sense if Peter joined Voldemort out of fear and then failed to change back when things change.

Humour exception-It may be possible to redeem Peter in a humour fic but only if he ends up looking even more cowardly in doing so. Making him look dumber then Ron is also acceptable but very hard to do.

EDIT:OK so my spelling is terrible. That's why I read every story three times before I post it on FF.net and have yet to get the guts to post one here. Maybe next year.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  4. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Rule #-1
    Writing acceptable as exceptable is not acceptable, even thoughit is too often expectable.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  5. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    On the subject of language and magic, I find it highly likely that there is some sort of magic to assist with learning languages, because Crouch knowing over 150 of them is pretty impossible otherwise.

6. peregrine1989

peregrine1989 Third Year

I have to agree. While general learning is obviously impossible or at least not invented yet, otherwise they would have used it at Hogwarts or know more then the average muggle not less.

However about the Crouch example I have to agree. I can't think of any possible way to do that by his age. Maybe older, but not his age. Thus some magic must be involved.

7. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

New rule:
    The 4 houses of Hogwarts are Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, Gryffindor and Slytherin. There are no Gryffindor Lions, Slytherin Snakes, Hufflepuff Badgers or Ravenclaw Ravens, these shall not be shouted at Quiddich matches.

8. SerDel

SerDel Third Year

[​IMG]
    Well, you could wish :)

9. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Old pic is old.

10. Methene

Methene Auror

Old pic may be old, but I hadn't seen it.

11. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Bio is just trying to bump his old, decrepit thread.

12. GDC

GDC Squib

If there were, wouldn't it be the Ravenclaw Eagles?

13. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Old pic is hilarious.

14. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    At no time, shall a character's drunkenness be used as a way to move the plot forward. Nobody pissed out their head shall kiss their long hidden love, and then pass out. They won't reveal hidden secrets that allow the supporting cast to act on the revelation. And they certainly won't come up with a genius plan. At most, they will wake up on the floor, or with VD.

Furthermore, no author who has never 1) been drunk or 2) lived with an alcoholic, shall attempt to write a drunken slur. Haffing to read shit (giggle) SHIT SHIT like thith ith ith ira irar irararara – annoying. And while unsteadiness is most certainly a real life syndrome, it's impossible to trip when you're already on the floor... having just tripped.

Harry in particular, does not have 'particularly messy hair' or a 'lopsided grin' when he is drunk. He's probably the really scary mumbling type anyway...

And a final note about character consumption: know your booze. I don't care if you're Paul Bunyan, if you down a whole bottle of whiskey, you aren't saying anything except 'phweggh'. And if you're surrounded by empty bottles of whiskey, in a flat you trashed, the only thing GinGin is going to find is a corpse. On the opposite end of the scale, butter beer is a children's drink, and at best has only a token drop of alcohol, just enough to get young wizards and witches to shell out obscene amounts of money for the delusion of being 'adult'. Maybe if you're an eighty pound girl who can't lift an iPod and are connected to a butterbeer IV... maybe you get a bit tipsy. But nobody goes into a bar, hammers back a few butterbeers, then gets up cause you done been ogling mah girl.

15. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Seconded due to first hand experience (minus the Venereal Disease). <.<

Not entirely true. You have a precious minute or so (if you're unlucky) to very loudly profess what a shit idea that was before the 'phweggh' kicks in (this is assuming you mean a smallish bottle like 200ml or 375ml. I'd pay to see someone down a 1.75cl bottle of whiskey XD).

16. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I downed 500ml of whiskey in 30-60 mins.

I was perfectly fine, well.. yes, drunk, but I didn't go all 'phweggh'. The throwing up definitely also occured.

I do however have a ridiculously large tolerance for alcohol.

17. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Thats because you're Grizzly Adams illegitimate child.

18. Methene

Methene Auror

No idea if it was mentioned before, but in light of something I had read a while ago, it is still relevant.

At no time whatsoever shall the name of Fleur Delacour be subject to mutilation due to lack of culture/lack of mental facilities/short attention span/incurable disease affecting the brain.

The well known variation of Fluer shall henceforth be punishable to the full extent of magical law... locked in a dungeon with Griphook, during his annual mating season, when his hormones are raging as if he were a young goblin once more.

19. GDC

GDC Squib

I don't know how I feel about the idea of Ginny/Griphook. I mean...What did poor Griphook do to deserve that?

20. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Hey kids! Let's play a game! Can you find the exact point the Potter Law thread became the Pet Peeves thread?