1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Turn Me Loose: A Harry Potter Adventure by JBern - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by jbern, Sep 1, 2007.

1. Hypodermic

Hypodermic Squib

Thanks for the info. I'll have to reread a few chapters. I forgot how Luna was in this Fic.

Can't wait to see what Harry does to Albus. Albus probably has a plan to off Harry. There is no way Albus would trust Harry to stay good after being put through so much crap.

2. White Rabbit

White Rabbit Hippity Hoppity DLP Supporter

What were Dumbledore's plans for Snape in the actual books? Kill him and receive control of the Elder Wand. He probably has similar intentions for Harry in this story.

I only read the summary of DH so if that was not what Dumbledore wanted then sorry and forgive my ignorance.

3. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

I'm starting to feel like Dumbledore's happy ending will see he and Riddle dead and Harry locked up in Azkaban for the rest of eternity.

It's pretty grim.

4. Bukay

Bukay Professor DLP Supporter

It's going to be so much fun :D

On the other hand the only way I see how Ron can harm Harry is by sucker punching him and than spending a lot of time in the infirmary.

5. Thorn

Thorn Professor

Which of course means that the only reason she protested at the beginning of that scene is that either she's a voyeur, or she wanted in.

A little short, but otherwise awesome chapter Jbern.

6. kmfrank

kmfrank Denarii Host DLP Supporter

The power the dark lord knows not - an army of illegitimate children.

A pseudo-rape scene full of win, jbern. Charge those wards, baby!

However, one contention - best sex Harry's ever had? Should be Baba Yaga. Until Fleur comes around :)

7. almchristensen

almchristensen Squib

Forgot to review the chapter last night.:eek:
    It was a nice transition chapter, but it felt short compared to Lie chapters. I get that Lie may come easier to write right now so no real problem. I like how you've set up the goblin rebellion as a way for Harry to storm Gringotts and its vaults for the Cup. I agree with White Rabbit, Dumbledore wants Harry to kill him and take the Elder Wand.

I'm just going to add that should capture and sell both Voldemort and Dumbledore to Baba Yaga for help against the Demon if it shows up again. I just can't get the image of the two of them stuck in giant tubes next to each other while Baba smokes their souls.
    </IMG>

8. mjc

mjc Seventh Year

And his pet catamite...err, Potions Master can't come up with something to overcome that little problem?

9. Voice of the Nephilim

Voice of the Nephilim Death Eater DLP Supporter

Certainly a short chapter, but not lacking in the quality department. I found myself very surprised by Dumbledore's latest ploy.

10. mathiasgranger

mathiasgranger Slug Club Member

I just think that going so far out of the way to allow Dumbledore to hijack the plot with successful plan after successful plan against Harry is starting to drag the story down.

We get it Dumbledore is a manipulative and evil bastard that is leagues ahead of the protagonist in being a bastard, and yet Harry, 'manwhore deluxe' Potter somehow manages to be rather irritating also.

I almost half hope Dumbledore manages to kill Harry with one of his dumb plots at the 24th hour, a la Snape with deathstick finishing Harry off after he has killed Voldemort.

Luna came off as incredibly needy in both Bungle and this one, and well....not interesting. She might be a realistic teenage girl with emotional issues, but frankly that doesn't make for interesting reading in this genre.

The only characters left that I even remotely like are Fleur and Bill, and they weren't even in this chapter or the last couple.

Bungle was a vastly enjoyable romp through an adventure never really emulated before in Potter fiction. This one seems to be listing a bit, sort of like TFTCD got to be near the end. I understand how challenging it is to finish a story with creative momentum, but this series had plenty of potential that seems to be going unfulfilled due to uber manipulative Dumbledore.

I mean I kind of got the idea after Dumbles managed to trick Harry into powering the wards of Hogwarts. Now....well its rather a broken record.

The chapter rating 3/5.

Story rating 4/5...but its slowly decreasing unless the master plot weaver pulls it together.

11. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

AD got Fawkes to help commit rape. That's nasty - and it implies things about Fawkes that I hate to consider: that Fawkes is being affected by Dumbledore's ruthless desperation, that Fawkes isn't really Light, that AD has some kind of control over Fawkes that might be Dark...

This would be poetic justice, but it would undoubtedly backfire:
    Have Hermione cut Harry, and get Tonks to help her "apply the medicine" in the morning.

I mentioned this in the review. Even if Hermione conceived (and it isn't statistically likely that she's at the correct point in her cycle,) she's only borderline old enough to carry without complications (Just turned sixteen, right?) she's suffering a lot of stress; mental, physical, and magical, and she's in poor overall condition. Moreover she is exposed to lots of volatile chemicals in Potions and poorly cast spells in Transfiguration.

I'd confidently predict a miscarriage. Or stillbirth.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  12. Robo Jesus

Robo Jesus High Inquisitor

Honestly, I don't think Dumbledore cares so long as the pregnancy goes on long enough for the concieved zygote/fetus/neonate to support and sustain the castle wards. What does he care who suffers or for how long, so long as the greater good takes precedence?

13. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

I honestly wouldnt put it past Harry to find a way to screw up Dumbledore's plans.

14. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

I wouldn't put it past Harry to just walk up and sling a Killing Curse between the old bastard's eyes, and honestly am wondering at this point why he hasn't. Diplomatic immunity for the win. A man more interested in jerking around a sixteen year old kid than in winning the war isn't worth keeping around.

15. carvell

carvell Professor DLP Supporter

Maybe not, Fawkes gave the injury to Harry and then Dumbledore saw a way to screw him over one more time. Excellent chapter btw with an unexpected twist to leave reader's wanting more 5/5.

16. Insanity

Insanity Second Year DLP Supporter

I thought the thing with the potion was a bit to obvious. Harry suspects Dumbledore has a hand in him being injured, then just happens to (indirectly) provide a potion to fix the damage, considering he'd been screwed over before Harry should have realised.

17. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Harry had no reason to suspect Pomfrey when the nurse was carrying out her official duties. (There was no precedent for her being anything but ethical). I didn't find it a stretch that he and Hermione would use the salve.

18. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Two-way rohypnol cream: priceless.

Harry screwing Hermione was a pretty "WTF" moment in an otherwise vanilla chapter. Like LT said, I have no clue why Harry hasn't taken off the kid gloves and fucked Dumbledore's shit up; it shouldve happened way back when He was turned into an ottoman.

@Banner: I dunno about Fawkes. A bonded creature like him could have unwavering, moral-free loyalty, which we've seen in house elves. Going with that, he could have Dobby's mindset, and have an extreme view on what qualifies as "helping" someone. Think about it: in CoS, why, instead of teleporting Dumbledore there to help kill the snake, he went to claw the shit out of the snake's eyes? Or teleporting Dumbledore out of the way instead of swallowing a killing curse? Combine that zealous nature withthe fact that the bird is repulsed by the demonic part of Harry, and it's easy to see how Fawkes
    acts how he does.

Ignoring all that, the bird was named after Guy Fawkes, who wasn't exactly a saint...

3/5 for not all that much happening.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  19. kmfrank

kmfrank Denarii Host DLP Supporter

PLus as soon as the baby was conceived, there would be a drain on it to power the wards of Hogwarts, since it would share Harry's blood (twice over, in fact, so it'd be a little inbred bastard too). Yeah, I think there'd be some side-effects of that.

20. psihary

psihary Groundskeeper

... I've got a polar bear for a neighbour...
    I think that calls for a list of stories with good ol' manipulative Dumbledore written in his prime, to see how well has Jim done it.

I can't think of any really good ones from the top of my head but I'll look for one later...

Anyone?...