1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Turn Me Loose: A Harry Potter Adventure by JBern - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by jbern, Sep 1, 2007.

1. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

Perhaps AD will break the Elder Wand before he dies? The old man seems convinced that no one else can be trusted much power. I agree, he probably has decided to use a "final solution" on both Hary and Voldemort.

2. loWall

loWall Second Year

Wow that would be really petty of AD....
    that will really piss off Harry... and a large blow against anti-Voldemort efforts.
    but i doubt that, seeing that his actions so far, questionable as it is, is against the Dark forces and not handicapping Harry [in AD's POV, at least]

3. mathiasgranger

mathiasgranger Slug Club Member

The most fitting ending for Dumbledore at this point would be for Harry to defeat Voldemort and make sure Dumbledore's legacy is destroyed and only the bad things he did are remembered.

The old man has lost two of his most ardent and powerful supporters already with Moody and McGonagall...

Take that in conjunction with him pissing Harry off to extreme levels....he is obviously desperate and can feel the tick tock of his remaining time running off.

I still don't care much for how Dumbledore has in essence hijacked the story since Harry ran his little fake dark wizard gambit. It makes for very frustrating reading...

4. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

I definitely agree that Dumbledore's taken over the story and that it's been kind of falling flat for me since the dance with Narcissa. The Baba yaga stuff was still fun, but reading everything that Dumbledore does is starting to feel like work.

That should change with the latest manipulation, hopefully. We'll see.

5. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

Sadly I agree, the story lost some indefinable part of the exciting spark it had in 'Bungle', and I do believe it revolves around Harry's interactions with Dumbledore.

'Lie' on the other hand still has it in spades!

It's still a good story, don't get me wrong, But not the Epic that the first one was.

6. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Jim I believe you are beginning to have the same problem with BitJ and TML as you did with TFTCD. The longer it goes the excitment factor lessens. Dont et me wrong this is still one of the best fics around, just not quite as good as Bungle.

7. KlavoHunter

KlavoHunter Second Year

Well, do calm down - Dumbledore is probably going to die or otherwise become of less importance to the storyline in the next chapter or two - either from Harry finishing him off, or else Harry finally managing to sideline him, or else he finally expires from the curse that got his arm.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  8. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

Something I just thought of.

The Daemon said they may meet again. Now I doubt this means Voldemort wwill summon him again, this seems to cheap.

Dumbledore thinks Harry is going dark and wants to do something to stop him and Riddle.

So my theory is that Dumbledore somehow manages to banish Harry to the Daemon realm once he defeats Riddle. Not sure how he would do this but wouldnt suprise me.

9. Rhapsody Belle

Rhapsody Belle Sixth Year

The daemon also sees multiple timelines and multiple choices at once. Infinity is vague by nature, and any sorts of reasons could exist as to why they'd meet up again in the future, ranging from (as you said) Dumbledore banishing Harry to the daemon realm, from Voldemort using it as a weapon, to it finding a loophole in its bonds and getting free more or less on its own.

My theory is something simple: I had a RPG character who absolutely hated demons, and had ample reason to despise them... but when push came to shove and she had no options left, she summoned one and used it to prevail over a lethal situation she was in. I can see Harry being forced into the same circumstance, when it's do this or fail, and choosing to do this. Sometimes you have to make a deal with the devil, because not making that deal is far, far worse.

10. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

Although it's hard to think of anything that's much worse than a major demon loose on earth.

11. Robo Jesus

Robo Jesus High Inquisitor

Oh, I can think of quite a few things much worse. Plauges, pestilent swarms, nuclear war, alien invasions, Katamari Damacy.

12. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

Have you ever played this game? It's quite hilarious.

13. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Robo, wouldn't a demon being released count as an alien invasion? And if it wanted it could probably easily cause the rest of the things you mentioned to happen.

14. Agnostics Puppet

Agnostics Puppet Professor

The game is a blast to play. Hours of mindless fun. But thinking of the concept behind it...hurts...

15. Rhapsody Belle

Rhapsody Belle Sixth Year

In the context of the story? A choice between not doing it and guaranteeing the destruction of the world, and doing it with only a chance of destroying the world.

16. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

JUst a quick reminder that this story is temporarily on hiatus while I finish The Lie I've Lived. There are about 5-6 chapters more left in this one, but each story is at the point where I'm trying to bring it to conclusion and it requires extra attention to make certain that I'm getting it right.

Since Lie has the momentum right now, who am I to argue.

Still, if you are in dire need of 2nd person action, I am pleased to announce that the Gryphonwood Press Anthology containing my story Existence is now on sale at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Know-What-Youve-Dispossession/dp/0979573866/

It will be up on Kindle and Smashwords soon. Since it's the first story in the Anthology, you'll probably get a chance to do a "view sample" on Smashwords.

17. Shake

Shake Squib

Haven't read the thread, but I've been following this fic after reading your awesome BiTJ.

I want to say, these stories are two of the best fics I've ever read, good on you.

Just some general thoughts about the two fics... I'll say I tend to really dislike OC's that become a part of Harry's entourage/mentor him/blah blah blah, but I REALLY love how you've done it. Hack is awesome, your characterization of Bill is the best I've read, and Kwan is very enjoyable, despite my worries that he was a bit cliched (I mean, a harsh asian mentor, lets not get into how much that's been done).

I'm glad of the tone of the story... right before I read BiTJ I read TFTCD. It was fantastic, and really well written, but man, it was just so depressing at times. I have to say, Neville in that story made me a bit queasy for reasons I cant explain. On that note, how about more Neville in Turn Me Loose?

I like the Harry/Luna pairing, but a few things nag me about it. While it is interesting that her whole "looney" bit is an act, it feels a bit dues-ex machina... I mean, everything about her is fake, and then she just sort of dumps that on Harry one day? Her outbursts and the on-again/off-again aspect of the relationship gets a bit tiring... on the other hand, it is really, truly refreshing to see Harry as the "experienced" one of a relationship... to be the mature party, if you will.

Anyway, any of my little nit-pics dont really matter, because as I've said, I absolutely love this story and its prequel.

18. Greatness

Greatness Muggle

Keep it up, cant wait til u finish writing. lol Harry Knocked up Hermy. thats great.

19. Kang

Kang Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I call Troll. In other news, the distinct lack of any sort of action of Voldemort is worrying. Some sort attack planned soon?

Keep up the good work!

20. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    I disagree; it reads like the average review on ff.net, so it's probably just someone who wandered in.

@Greatness: jbern mentioned in another thread that he'd probably finish TLIL before picking this piece up again. I think he said something about only a few more chapters remaining in that one, so I'd estimate a month or so before he returns to writing TML.