1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete The Lie I've Lived by jbern - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by jbern, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Kindle would be pretty convenient for me as well.

2. Insanity

Insanity Second Year DLP Supporter

Out of interest, of the $9.95 that Horror, Humor and Heroes costs how much do you get?

3. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

Give me a few days to figure out how to make the Createspace to Amazon to Kindle thing work, but I'll get it up there. Kindle kind of stinks from an author standpoint. They take 65 percent and leave 35 percent to the author. I'll probably use smashwords for the pdf version - a much better cut 85 percent for the author 15 percent for Smashwords.

To answer the question about my cut - $2.75 of which .25 per copy goes to the sister-in-law for the cover art. I'm not trying to make a killing which is why I kept it under $10.

I guess MasterA there was my first official sale. Thanks whoever you are.

I'm a whopping #51,564 in books at the moment (I've sold 4 if anyone's curious). It's not a bad start for day 1 since I'm only talking about it here until I get my next chapter of Lie ready. Edit - Just jumped to #29231. Hopefully, I'll break into the top 1000 or even maybe the top 100. We'll see.

For those of you that do buy, do me a favor and leave a review. I don't know if anyone truly understands the arcane ranking system they have there, but reviews supposedly increase it.

If anyone has other questions, PM me and I'll do my best to answer. Check my personal website and I'll make sure to say when the Kindle version is available. I don't want to tie this thread up with non fanfic stuff.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  4. Hypodermic

Hypodermic Squib

Any idea how much the ebook will be for? While I like your stories on fanfiction. I'm a bit cheap and most of the books I read I get from the library.

How many more chapters do you plan on writing for the Lie I've lived?

5. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

The e-book will price around $3.00.

Lie is going to run about 25 chapters.

6. psihary

psihary Groundskeeper

... I've got a polar bear for a neighbour...
    Ah, it's quite sad when the end of a favorite fic is coming... but then I'm really looking forward for your try on the Harry/Narcissa front.
    You did say you're thinking of writing one, didn't you? I can't recall the exact thread but I hope I'm not mistaken. I've been waiting for very long for someone to actually pull it right without including "harem" and "harry's slaves" in the story's summary.

7. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

Well, I do have a plan for a sequel to Lie, but I won't be starting it immediately after completing Lie. I've got a H/Hr one, the H/Narcissa one, a H/? one on the back burners. All of these are expected to be 10-30k in length unless they really catch fire plotwise. Plus I'll be finishing TML.

Hope that makes sense.

8. Hypodermic

Hypodermic Squib

Isn't DLP unfriendly to H/Hr or is just Harry/Ginny they hate? So we know that only one Longbottom got the potion right? My guess is that he gave it to the Mom. I wondering if you will have the potion fail. There is like 4 or 5 chapters left to the story so might be rather late to introduce a new character minor story. Can't wait to see where you take it

9. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    ... What DLP tends to like or dislike has nothing to do with what jbern decides to write. That's up to him and him alone.

What DLP likes are poorly written plotless stories. An overwhelming number of H/Ginny fall into these, as to H/Hr. It's unfair though to say DLP outcasts all such stories by pairing alone, as their are a number of each not only in the library, but held by the community at large in high esteem.

10. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

Not trying to be a dick, just figured you wanted the person you were addressing to understand what you were talking about...

H/Hr? Bah!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  11. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

We hate anything that is Harry woke up one morning after a dream where he realizes that Godric and Merlin are his ancestors and he now has enough power to end life everywhere along with the ability to control it perfectly. He has also realized he loves _______(fill in with anyone from Ginny to Susan to Pansy to Cho to Bella to Fudge's wife to Sprout to Fleur to Hermoine) and cant live without them. They admit they love him to and Harry then proceeds to destroying Voldemort with one spell and goes on to live happily ever after with his love.

I personally can read just about any realistic ship that isnt slash as long as it is well written.

12. brad

brad Third Year

Yay!!! :D No need to go any further in enumerating your 'to do' list! :D

(I have a running joke with jbern on how he needs to write a H/Hr story.)

Most everyone here seemed to like your H/Hr teamwork in the last chapter - I liked Dethklok's comment that it "has a feel-good buddy movie vibe to it. ... They play off one another well". If you had a H/Hr story starting like that it would be interesting to see how you'd make the friendship evolve.

I am wondering, though, how Hermione in Lie is going to take the revelation that her friend Harry is now an amalgram of him and his father. It's totally different to the case of HJ telling Sirius the secret; in that instance, from Sirius's perspective, his godson "grew up" and approached his own adult level. With James's memories Harry grew *closer* to Sirius.

But for Hermione I wonder if her worst fear - "he doesn't need you" - might come back to revisit her? Because upon learning the truth she may feel that 'Harry' has grown *away* form her, up out of her reach. Why would someone with an adult's memories - a husband, a father, one of the heroes of the last war - want to hang around with a child like her? :confused: Hopefully HJ will put her mind at ease, as he did so brilliantly in the last chapter with the boggart.

13. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Skwisgaar Skwigelf, taller than a tree
    Toki Wartooth not a bumblebee
    William Murderface Murderface Murderface
    Pickles the drummer Doodily Doo,
    Ding Dong Doodily Doodily Doo
    Nathan Explosion!

:awesome

14. psihary

psihary Groundskeeper

... I've got a polar bear for a neighbour...
    Well, I can only hope you'd drop the H/Hr in favor of adding an extra '0' to the estimated length of H/Narcissa. No one can argue that in most cases 100-300k looks better than a mere 10-30 ; )

I'm fully aware of my rather irrational dislike for stories where the main spot light is on H/Hr, but my strong dislike for people featuring her character is simply overwhelming.

But then, that is really not the best argument to convince you, is it? I should say perhaps that a great number of stories exploring various situations with these two, have been written and humble readers like me would wish to see capable authors exploring new horizons of a sort. And Mrs. Malfoy just happen to be a poorly mapped area.

Perhaps the question mark could be replaced with the name of our resident shape-shifting girl, whose dislike for her first name has taken ridiculous proportions in the fandom, quite like the usage of Dum... oh wait, seems "Bimbles" is more popular now a days.
    There is certain lack of those stories as well... o_O

15. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

"Galloping bareback to victory!"
    Great job. I love it!

16. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

No, I already know who the ? mark is in that one story. It's just that I've had a lot of people bug me about not giving away the ship.

I'm working on the Kindle version of HHH, but I've got to go back to my source word document. Amazon's Kindle converter really mangled the pdf. It's probably going to take a few more days to get the kinks out. Right now the format looks like crap.

I always liked that H/Tonks story by ImaginaryFriend101, damn shame it was abandoned.

17. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    You still planning to do that BSG/HP crossover, Jim?

18. Nukular Winter

Nukular Winter The Chosen One DLP Supporter

HP-BSG >> HP/HG

(That's all I have to say about that)

19. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Wish I had a kindle.

20. Voice of the Nephilim

Voice of the Nephilim Death Eater DLP Supporter

Never seen Battlestar, so...

HP/HG >> HP-BSG