1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete A Second Chance at Life Series by Miranda Flairgold - T/M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by ChuckDaTruck, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

She's said it wont be romance. Not this time anyway.

2. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

I like the "no pairing" aspect. Casual sex and the occasional friend with benefits works fine with Rahkesh. It'll be a long time before he'd be able to go to sleep with someone in his bed, and much longer before he could let someone inside his defenses.

3. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

Are we discounting the scene with nick where 'Rakesh' Literally bares his soul as they 'fall into each other's eyes'?

-Shivers-

sorry, not my cup of tea. I'm quite content with no pairing, or perhaps the casual sex referenced in the first book. No details needed, just the fact that he went out and got some as a throw away reference as to why he's finally relaxed.

4. Palver

Palver High Inquisitor

Updated. Amusing scene with the centaurs.

5. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

I couldnt help myself. Had to read it. And its just as much Namach is god as ever.

6. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

I liked this chapter.

One thing Miranda excels at is her discription of scenes and magic, and this chapter had one of the best scenes yet.

Also the scene in the chamber with the necromancer guild was cool, I find the idea of the white and black guilds fighting over him.

The thing with the Demon skeletons coming back to life and attacking was just odd. Appart from giving Cyla a way to attack the demons it seemed to be useless since no one got hurt. Would have been cool to see the after mark of one of these attacks in someplace with out uber fighters.

7. Insanity

Insanity Second Year DLP Supporter

Well its finished (the last chapter is up if you didn't know), to be fair the last few chapters we're better and I'm starting to actually enjoy them again, a big difference compared to a lot of this second book.

8. Link

Link Order Member DLP Supporter

The second part is finally over; the end was a little more abrupt than what I would have liked, but I guess she rushed it since she won't be there the next few months.

Anyway, am I the only one who found Namach a bit out of character in the last two chapters, especially the part regarding the blood tree? It kind of seemed unrealistic...

9. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

Am I the only one who's completely tired about hearing about the mysterious "transformation?" The more she hints at it the more I just don't give a damn.

I've come to the conclusion that it would have been better handled if she had just sprung it on us out of nowhere than build up as poorly as she has.

Now I'm just looking forward to her characters getting killed off.

10. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

She wont kill off her characters.

I agree the hints about the transformation are beyond annoying and since odds are that its a damn death dragon Im not in the least bit excited. It has become so tedious I would have liked it more had he been surrouneded by demons and did a " I WILL NOT DIE" and suddenly transforms.

11. Jaypallas

Jaypallas Squib

I browsed the library and found this in the bin ... I have my issues with this story (Cliched Vampire Overpowered Arselicker Galore) and rated it a while ago with only 3 stars. Now I have read hundreds of story(-beginnings) more and have to say that this story sticks out, it's creative, everyone has a solid background and the chars behave reasonable and consequent. If you compare it with the usual trash it prevails and I would name it as one of the best independent!H stories out there.

Therefor I vote for removing it from the bin and back to the independent!Harry Section where it belongs.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2009
  12. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If the rating goes above a certain amount it will be placed in the appropriate section by a mod. If the rating doesn't go up enough, it will stay here.

13. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Putting it in the library on the basis that "I've read worse" is a fucking terrible idea.

14. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Harry changing his name to Rahkesh Asmodaeus, or however the fuck you spell it, is not reasonable. He even said it himself, everyone will know that it's a fake name, but he just didn't give a fuck. What pale scrawny white guy gives himself an Indian first name? Especially if he's trying to be discreet and make sure no one finds him. Yeah, really fucking reasonable.

Bashing the British wizarding world and calling it backwards while the ENTIRE REST of the world is progressive is not reasonable.

This story sticks out because it's ridiculously long and it has a ridiculous fanbase (read: Darius). It also sticks out because it ceased being a Harry Potter fanfiction long ago, and turned into a horrible original work that uses the Harry Potter magic as a loose foundation.

This fic will stay in the trash bin where it fucking belongs.

15. ECFE11

ECFE11 First Year

Sure, just let the Crap stay here. Then it wont pester normal people. But can we please remove all the other crappy rated story's [1-2-3 stars] from the forums? I mean come on, I for one can not take it seriously to remove just some stories with a bad rating but not all.

16. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Yeah sure, the staff has enough time to sift through hundreds of stories and move all the ones with a rating of 3.49 and lower into the bin. Do us, and apparently yourself, a favor and use the "Report Post" feature to alert us as to which stories belong in the recycle bin.

17. Kang

Kang Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Rea...Really? I would be more than happy to to go through the rot that is hidden away in the Library and bring them to the mods/admin attention.

On topic: The plot drags on. And on. And on. And on.

18. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Is the primary difficulty in moving the actual threads of the below-par stories?

The sort by rating feature for each subforum removes the sifting entirely.

After being sorted by Rating:

The below-four-star stories in the Independent section are on pages 4 and 5.

The below-four-star story (singular) in the Dark Arts section is at the very top of that subforum (without being sorted).

The below-four-star stories in the Romance section are on page 2.

The below-four-star stories in the Alternate section are on pages 6 and 7.

The below-four-star stories in the Humor/Parody section are on pages 4 and 5.

The below-four-star stories in the Timetravel section are on page 3.

The below-four-star stories in the Azkaban section are on page 1 and 2.

The below-four-star stories in the General Fics section are on page 6 and 7.

The below-four-star stories in the Restricted Section section are on page 2.

The same applies to the Recycle Bin, there are a few four-star stories that are at the top once sorted.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2009
  19. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Dammit Andromalius. When you point out how easy it is it makes the staff look lazy.

So I just went through the library and moved them. NOT all of them like you suggested. I only moved fics with a minimum of 5 votes. And there's a great many without any votes at all.

Now the onus is back on DLP members to vote for those old ass threads. You don't have to necro them to vote (I don't think) but if you got something to say or want to call the board's attention to a fic that has no place in the DLP library, then go for it. As everyone should know, the library is immune to necro-posting. It's not immune to fucking retarded pointless short posting though.

Anything in the recycling bin with 5 votes or more and a rating of >3.5 got moved to the library. And anything in the library with 5 votes or more and a rating of <3.5 got moved to the Recycling Bin.

Exceptions being the Restricted Section and "The Potter Tradition of Red" (because that one's just a special case).

BACK ON TOPIC... Miranda peaked when she wrote about giant killer sharks.

In 2002.

20. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

What rhymes with 'Fuck you' and ends with you?

Wait, I think I did that wrong. o_o