1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

StarCraft II

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Chaoticblues, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

I can't play Zerg for anything. I'm getting stomped, I just don't know how to macro them I guess. I never have enough zerlings or roaches or anything to defend my base from rushes... am I supposed to make three hatcheries or something? Rely on queens? The eggs don't spawn fast enough for my resource intake, even if I expand early.

Protoss is easy-modo. Summoning buildings (best build style) + warping in units + great air and heavy assault units... tons of abilities, it's just amazing what you can do with them.

Terran is so-so. Good for base defense, but I don't like their units that much. Tanks are great as usual, but everything is kind of underwhelming.

What I'm really excited about are the custom maps for this though. So many cool abilities to play with, SC DOTA will be amazing, if nothing else.

2. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Mass roaches/hydras.

3. Chaoticblues

Chaoticblues Professor

You guys are soooo lucky. I am absolutely dyin to play it. Haven't figured out how to install that single player thing either T__T.

4. Solomon

Solomon Heir

It's not hard. Torrent the beta, download lazylaunch and some AI modded maps. Load one of the maps via lazylaunch, have fun.

5. Chaoticblues

Chaoticblues Professor

Wow that 6.11 AI is better than some players I've seen. I've only won against it like 3 times out of 10 so far lol. It always rushes and if you give it time to get an army together it's pretty tough if you're new to the game and don't know the build orders yet. O_O

6. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

I can't beat the AI with Zerg, but with Protoss/Terran it's easy. Real easy. Just get your workers fast and turtle. In 4 v 4 FFA, you don't want to be offensive. On lost temple and most maps, you can expand really easily, getting 3-4 expansions without having to worry about spreading your army out. Build adequate defense towers (2-3 per entrance of each expansion is good) and build up your army. You should be able to dismantle stuff and defend simultaneously. The AI is pretty bad at teching, they'll rely too much on T1 units. I usually end each game with like 20k resources, so the AI really isn't that good. Though it's much better than previous versions, and even WC3 AI (though WC3's melee was just frustrating by itself – between creeping, pitiful base defense options and Hero harass... eugh).

7. Chaoticblues

Chaoticblues Professor

Yeah I can win with protoss easily, but Terran was my worst race in SC and I just can't win with Zerg at all unless I do some heavy muta harass.

8. Tehlaziboi

Tehlaziboi Ninja Meido

Eh, I usually go for roaches with zergs and quickly upgrade their burrow. Macro with them to ensure that the nearly dead ones can heal quickly and just keep relentlessly spawning them to fight. Usually the game doesn't even go past pure ground units for me but if it does, then a combo of roach and hydras easily beats whatever force they send.

Edit: Ninja'd

9. Chaoticblues

Chaoticblues Professor

For Terran I usually go for fast factory to helion harass. I've managed to so some seeker missles a couple of times (they are so awesome) and burrowed roaches can't really do anything if there's a detector around :(.

Also, I wish that tank had a point and blast function like catapults did in age of empires. Would make sensor tower sooo much more useful.

10. Tehlaziboi

Tehlaziboi Ninja Meido

Helions are good for harassing but I wouldn't recommend trying it on zergs simply because they have a speed buff on the creeps, making the helion's easy targets. Also, the nylus worm from the zerg is like uber hax. So easy to win against AI by just making one on the other side of their workers and then massing roaches and hydras.

11. GrandHighPoobah

GrandHighPoobah Third Year

The sad thing is that it's also easy to win against humans using that same strat, sans hydras. It's really stupid how all you need is line of sight on a 2x2 square of ground to spawn units anywhere on the map. It drives me nuts, but it'll almost certainly be nerfed at some point.

12. Chaoticblues

Chaoticblues Professor

Maybe the worm should only be able to load up a certain number of units each time it pops up? Colossi are so OP against zerg ground units as long as they don't get focused down.

13. Tehlaziboi

Tehlaziboi Ninja Meido

Yeah, the nylus canal in the old SC was somewhat balanced in that it couldn't go anywhere unless there were creeps, as well as having both openings destroyed. This new version is so rigged that anyone going against a zerg player will have to have troops monitoring their base every two seconds.

Edit: And Chaotic, any zerg player worth their salt would know to focus on those things. Most would probably take that advantage away by hijacking control for those few moments.

14. Mindless

Mindless Big Boss DLP Supporter

A lot of the new units are really not impressing me. I liked the 'toss stuff well enough, and the Zerg units are alright, but there are many units that just feel useless. Terran especially. I tried using some of the new stuff, and found them to be either too fragile or not suited for the engagements I was putting them in. So far, the tried and true strategies of siege tanks, carriers, and unit spam have won out.

Also, where the fuck are my science vessels.

15. Darje

Darje Groundskeeper

Where the fuck are my firebats? My bunkers are almost useless without them to vaporize the 'lings. So far reapers are useless for me.

16. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Try the Ravens. They're about as close as you're going to get.

Funny thing is, from what I've come to understand, no one bothers really using the factory right now because Marine/Marauder/Medivac pretty much hard counters everything.

17. Tehlaziboi

Tehlaziboi Ninja Meido

Marine/Marauder/Medivac does shit to Roach/Hydralisk/Infestor, just sayin'.

18. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

It seems they took an awful lot of the old units out of SC and replaced them with new ones. Not a lot of people are going to be happy with this. I started playing it, expecting the find old units, but there's not many of them. I was kinda pissed, really.

SC2 just doesn't hit the mark that SC did, unfortunately.

19. Solomon

Solomon Heir

They're all still in the game, just not in the main game. If you want to play SC with SC2 graphics and controls (which would shatter the balance, by the way), just wait for the million UMS maps to come out that does just that.

20. Chaoticblues

Chaoticblues Professor

I do believe some new keys just came out. I didn't get one but be on the lookout guys.

EDIT: Actually I think that people got keys because people already in beta got extra keys to invite people with. In which case, I would love an invite to vincent.dam89@hotmail.com XD