1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality by Less Wrong - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by headbanger22, Mar 9, 2010.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Man, people really either love or hate this fic. Polarity is an excellent way to describe it Rhys.

Quite interesting.

2. Brown

Brown Third Year

Very funny in parts, but could be difficult to maintain the tone and quality over the long run. Also doesn't actually have any plot yet, other than 'Harry is hella funny'.

3. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Eh, it's usually like that with humour-stories. It's either hit or miss, the supposed humour works for you or it doesn't. If it does, the story gets a five, if it doesn't, it gets a one. Check any random story in the sub-section. Odds are, you'll find both ratings and the assessment wildly fluctuating, just like here.

And for me, most humour doesn't work, so rightly, I'd have to rate 90% of all stories in that genre with a 1. Instead, I usually don't bother reading, because I know it won't work. There isn't really sense in dragging down every story's rating with a 1, just because I have an odd (and sporadic) sense of humour.

4. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

You know, I think I figured out why I like this. Genius harry meets magic and decides he's going to rationalize it, and Mcgonagall, in the space of a couple of minutes, completely throws any hope of forcing magic conform to natural laws out the window and leaves him gaping at the shattered ruins of his perfectly logical world.

I like it because I'm hoping to see harry finally throw up his hands and yell "Fuck it! It's Magic!" and give up.

5. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:

I'm not sure if there's anything that could make me turn against this fic more quickly than this statement.

That said, I'm pretty sure that a correct reading of what mknote said is "This Harry is a lot like how I see myself IRL" or "This Harry is a lot like how I wish I was IRL". So I think the fic is safe for now.

6. Innomine

High Score:
    I'm just going with the general disbelief of anything Mknote says these days.

Blaise's trolling as Mknote on IRC was pretty much spot on, I have to say. He really is that arrogant.

7. mknote

mknote 1/3 of the Note Bros. DLP Supporter

Arrogant? Please. My IRL statement was based on the fact that Harry in this applies logic to situations that obviously defy logic (i.e. magic), much as I do; we're so ingrained in the logical mindset that we have difficulty believing in anything non-logical. That's also why I relate so much to Sheldon on TBBT (although, if you want arrogant, there's arrogance).

Also, what's this about Blaise trolling as me on IRC?

8. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Hahahahahahahaha.

I was screwing around with my nick when I found out about your self-imposed exile, and changed it to "mknotez" every now and then. Elli's dumbass was on one day, and he tried to...ah...put me in my place based on what he'd heard about your growing legend around here lol. Mind you, he had been logged in before I was on - and therefore should've seen the blatant "JBlaise is now known as mknotez" switcheroo notification. And barring that, /whois command.

The sum total of my mknote impression? Saying "Hello everyone." Anything else is imagined.

Anyways. This story. Lol.

Incredibly boring. Everyone who sets out to bring logic (and inevitably, science) to the HP fic ends up creating fuckwad characters, and this was no exception. The idea of Harry throwing a nerdfit over McGonagall's animagus transformation is funny in theory (I suppose), but the execution fell flat. The Draco scene, and his dad's reaction, are funny in theory, but again - execution fell flat.

In short: I get the jokes, but the fic didn't ellicit any laughs. Also, I expect it to never get finished anyway, as it seems like one of those stories that has the author running out of steam after 8-10 chapters.

2/5

9. Innomine

High Score:
    Pft, I think its well known by now, that I don't log on to IRC for #DLP, gets kinda boring tbh.

I was just trying for some trolling fun, but then JB trolled me. :(

And Mknote, you always leave these little rationalizations out there, ways you can get out of what you said. "But I really didn't actually meant that! Honestly mummy!" However, point remains that your statements that i've seen of late do come across as arrogant.

10. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

A good guilty pleasure fic. 3.5/5

11. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

I dislike the characterizations.

If I was McGonagall, I would backhand Harry. All he did in the latest chapter is act like a, well I don't know the best words. A whore? He is doing that whole, 'I am more smart and logical than you,' thing that I knew would end up happening.

12. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

It was moderately funny for the first two or three chapters. Now, I ended scrolling through most of the latest update.

The author tries too hard.

13. Innomine

High Score:
    Mmm, some stuff was a bit cringeworthy in the last chapter. However, overall I found it acceptable, and quite enjoyed it.

I'm looking forward to seeing whether he can actually pull the story off.

Edit: Yeah, the extreme emotional changes really weren't my cup of tea in all honesty.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  14. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    The latest chapter was definitely more of a miss than a hit. Largely because of Harry's schizoid characterisation. Going from uberlogical to bawling like a baby in the blink of an eye? WTF?

15. Kardikek

Kardikek Groundskeeper

He is after all supposed to be an 11 year old. People tend to forget that while reading super!Harry. For all his prodigal logic his brain and emotional maturity still isn't up to par.

4.5/5

16. Kilnpeople

Kilnpeople First Year

I'd say it's off to a good beginning. I'm a bit of a sucker for the inclusion of science and rationality which is why I shed such bitter tears when often stories including them don't pan out. One has to be very careful with the balance one strikes. I have hope for this story as Harry maintains a variety of childlike behaviors that could be considered consistent with intelligent children. They often feel oppressed, controlled, and talked down to and Harry seems to exhibit the results of that behavior rather well.

The Feynman referencing is just fun.

Harry's fights/rants with/at McGonagall grow somewhat tiresome and I'm surprised she put up with it to the extent that she did but I can look past it as long as it doesn't become too much of a trend. I'm looking forward to seeing how the application of rationality to magic is going to play out, it has a high chance of failing rather spectacularly so here's hoping it doesn't.

4.5/5 - good luck

17. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Yeah, the Feynman referencing is fun - if you happen to know his books.

I only really enjoyed the Malfoy scene, the rest wasn't that funny. It had its moments but overall I rate this 3/5.

The author will likely abandon this soon. It happens to most humour fics based on just one theme.

18. Red_Hourglass

Red_Hourglass First Year

I liked the last chapter. I get the feeling that this Harry is more in touch with his inner'crux, or aspects of voldemort more than just talking to snakes...maybe that is what the writer is going for. I could be wrong. I knew people that were scary smart in college, and they did jump from thought to thought a lot, had to be on your toes to keep up.

19. Terrai

Terrai Second Year

It's peculiar and strange, but other than that it's not really much of a intelligent Harry. Simply being able to spout off information at the speed of light wouldn't do much, just makes it sound highly pretentious. I'd give it a 3/5 since some parts were lulzworthy but other than that, trying to hard.

20. Illution

Illution Seventh Year

After reading the latest chapter, I have had a change of opinion on this fic. It's no longer just a run of the mill humor fic with a reoccurring theme that he author will likely run out of motivation and abandon. Although the idea of Harry taking over the world was introduced as humor, this new chapter had made the entire possibility real.

This Harry can really achieve world domination and it will be a grand journey with plenty of obstacles on the way. The story is still catagorized as humor but it's turning towards a more serious leaf while keeping the same types of humor in tact. 4.5/5

Not open for further replies.